It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING 11:30 Republicans Caved: Reach Deal

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
We are watching Holywood production

"Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell are finalizing a deal to avert a debt default and reopen the government, capping a frantic day that had Washington bracing for an economic crisis of its own making.

The deal is essentially done, sources say, as aides for the two leaders finished drafting the legislative language Tuesday night. The Senate adjourned at about 10 p.m. with no official word on a deal and will reconvene at noon Wednesday.

Read more: www.politico.com...
"

www.politico.com...
twitter.com...

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by research3300

So was all this orchestrated to come to a last minute resolution so we could be tested on how much BS we'd put up with? And/or so that a couple politicians can be "heroic" for solving a problem that they shouldn't have caused in the first place?

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   

BobM88

So was all this orchestrated to come to a last minute resolution so we could be tested on how much BS we'd put up with? And/or so that a couple politicians can be "heroic" for solving a problem that they shouldn't have caused in the first place?

It's all theater, the tea party wanted to say we did all we could. This was never going to cause a default as the government gets 225B a month in revenue and the debt payments are 25B.

So they would have had to trim spending to 200B a month. Which is more than they should spend on any month IMO.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Can someone please find more sources on this? I looked and can't find even one.

edit on 15-10-2013 by ragiusnotiel because: Attention Seeker

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   

It's all theater. Truer words have never, or at least rarely, been spoken!

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Democrats won a major White House priority to ensure that the Treasury Department would still have the ability to use “extraordinary measures” to pay its bills in case Congress does not lift the debt ceiling by Feb. 7. Republicans would win a provision ensuring that recipients of Obamacare subsidies meet the required income levels.

Read more: www.politico.com...
government-shutdown-98368.html#ixzz2hqxAHzNX

"Extraordinary Measures"?
Could this be what they have been planing all along?
Their masters want more power so they put on this show and threaten the nation with default in order to give the Treasury more power?
Then they blame the entire thing on the TP, the only group they really feel threatened by.
FIRE THEM ALL! !
Quad

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
This didn't happen.

Should be filed under HOAX.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   

We know they won't let us go into default but this seems like a lot of obamacare stuff, which could have waited until the country is more stable. Whatever. As long as people don't suffer due to these guys (whether prolonging it or not).

I think people need to take this all as a sign. Get self reliant if at all possible, and begin to demand they stop inventing new things that cost them and us more money. Lets budget the country like we do our homes - no money don't spend. Build the country up. I am not an anti Obama person but I get the feeling this guy wants his signature in history as an innovator (that arogance thing). Unfortunate for his ancestors he may be seen as a shameful president who did not do as promised and helped to send us into the worst debt of all time. He needs to work to get the debt down and knock it off now. If he truly wants a legacy. Congress - we get to vote on that one again soon. We need to take care of our own - in the U. S. - first, last, and only until strong.
edit on 15-10-2013 by Dianec because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   

EvenParanoidsHaveEnemies
This didn't happen.

That's what I'm saying.. can't find any other source.

Tomorrow MSM will report that this was "half-true" and say at the bitter end the deal couldn't be reached.

Maybe that's just the pessimist in me (I am mostly optimistic I swear), but during the entire shutdown pessimism has reigned.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
DUM DUMB DUM DUMB DUM.............

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
This is the Reuters version....seems a bit different then Politico's

Reuters

Senate aides said a deal was close but details remained to be worked out, and earlier hopes that a deal could be announced late on Tuesday were not met.

The U.S. Treasury says the government will bump up against its $16.7 trillion borrowing limit on Thursday, leaving little room for error and raising the risk the government will fail to pay its bills and creditors.

Even once a deal is reached, it must clear the full Senate and possible procedural snags in that chamber on Wednesday before moving to the fractious House of Representatives that was unable to produce its own deal on Tuesday.

What is perhaps more troubling is that they are looking for ways to "fast track" the approval process for this agreement...

Aides said Reid and McConnell were looking at two possible ways of speeding the legislation through the Senate, which often can get bogged down for several days with procedural hurdles.

If such delays were allowed, they could throw the U.S. into default by making passage of a bill impossible by Thursday.

Under one scenario, all 100 senators would agree to let Democrats schedule quick votes to pass the bill. That would mean that Tea Party faction firebrands, such as Republican Senator Ted Cruz, would give up their rights to delay a vote.

Cruz has not publicly announced his intentions but some Senate aides think that the Texas freshman with presidential aspirations has been sending positive signals in recent days.

Cruz and fellow Tea Party activists late last month delayed passage of a government funding bill as they demanded major changes to Obama's landmark healthcare law.

The deadlock led to federal agency shutdowns as Obama and his fellow Democrats stood firm against changing the law.

The other scenario would have the House send a formal "message" to the Senate to pave the way for quick Senate action, according to a Senate aide who asked not to be identified.

Again, it was not clear whether House Republicans would go along with that option

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   

ragiusnotiel

Can someone please find more sources on this? I looked and can't find even one.

edit on 15-10-2013 by ragiusnotiel because: Attention Seeker

According to the op's site this was an article written earlier today and got updated at
11:42 pm.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Look around outside the USA. If this matter was as serious as it intended to be, it would have an adverse impact on A LOT of people. No one is actually preparing for anything to happen.

The truth is, a deal will be made and every one will continue on with their daily lives. This is all just a big show, no one is worried and no one cares. Sure things will change because of this show, but this is an entirely different matter which deals with how you Americans deal with this issue.

In the end of the day, nothing will change outside the US at least.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
A bold faced lie.

2nd

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   

ragiusnotiel

EvenParanoidsHaveEnemies
This didn't happen.

Tomorrow MSM will report that this was "half-true" and say at the bitter end the deal couldn't be reached.

Maybe that's just the pessimist in me (I am mostly optimistic I swear), but during the entire shutdown pessimism has reigned.

The Senate deal is true, it has been well reported all day. It was put on hold in hopes the House could get their act together and come to a similar agreement because it would be much quicker for this to start in the House.

news.yahoo.com...
www.huffingtonpost.com...
www.bbc.co.uk...
www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   

AlienScience

ragiusnotiel

EvenParanoidsHaveEnemies
This didn't happen.

The Senate deal is true, it has been well reported all day. It was put on hold in hopes the House could get their act together and come to a similar agreement because it would be much quicker for this to start in the House.

news.yahoo.com...
www.bbc.co.uk...
www.bloomberg.com...

Thank you for the links.

I agree with what you're saying.. I only ask that you weigh this next question into consideration.

What day hasn't that been reported? Besides you know, Sundays lol.
edit on 15-10-2013 by ragiusnotiel because: boooooooooooooold

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
It seems an evening for conflicting news... This shows as 26 minutes old..

Debt Talks in Disarray as House Balks

Among other things, it said...

If Mr. Reid and Mr. McConnell reach a final accord, Senate leaders expect to use a parliamentary maneuver that will allow the majority leader to quickly move the deal to the Senate floor on Wednesday. With unanimous consent, a final vote would come the same day. But if Senate hard-liners object, the Senate would have to wait until Friday, then muster 60 votes to cut off debate. Further obstruction would mean the final vote would happen Saturday, when the bill would go back to the House, where it would pass only if it had overwhelming Democratic support since many Republicans would not vote for it.

Saturday? For the love of any common sense, get done with this stupidity already.

It's absolutely crystal clear that none of them...NONE of them..had the cajones to push this to the full fail and end game..nor did a single one of them actually MEAN to. It's all been B.S....but now, we might face some of those technical penalties anyway, since they played this game a little TOO close to a very real line of consequence.

Saturday..umm...is beyond the deadline. Doh!

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by yeaok

Actually London just became a major broker for the Chinese Yuan in a multi-billion dollar deal intended to help "de-Americanize" the world's economy. Doesn't that count as something happening outside the U.S that can be tied to his default threat?

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Quadrivium

"Extraordinary Measures"?
Could this be what they have been planing all along?
Their masters want more power so they put on this show and threaten the nation with default in order to give the Treasury more power?
Then they blame the entire thing on the TP, the only group they really feel threatened by.
FIRE THEM ALL! !
Quad

They have always had these "Extraordinary Measures"...that is what has kept us going since the debt limit was reached back in May 2013...the Treasury has been using so called "Extraordinary Measures" to ensure we pay our bills. On 10/17, these Extraordinary Measures will no longer be sufficient for us to meet all of our obligations. The Republicans wanted to strip the Treasure of these powers for any deal on raising the debt limit so that they had a firmer drop dead date that they could use for further moronic hostage taking...it is a dumb dumb idea to remove these measures...it gives a cushion for when idiot politicians want to play games with our credit.

So no, they aren't trying to give the Treasury more power...they have always had this power. And it is the Tea Party's fault, they hold 100% of the blame for this debacle.

If you are going to speak out, at least be informed about what you are talking about.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I'm really hoping that they don't reach an agreement so they hit it.

All of their names need to be etched into history and studied in the future.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join