It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ötzi the Iceman has at least 19 living male relatives in the Austrian Tirol. His death details expl

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
news.discovery.com...

Scientists from the Institute of Legal Medicine at Innsbruck Medical University analyzed DNA samples taken from 3,700 blood donors in the Tyrol region of Austria.
During their study, they discovered that 19 individuals share a particular genetic mutation with the 5,300-year-old mummy, whose full genome was published last year.

“The Iceman had the halogroup G, sub category G-L91. In our research we found another 19 people with this genetic group and subgroup,” Parson said.

Scientists discovered that Ötzi had brown eyes and very bad teeth, was lactose intolerant, had a genetic predisposition for an increased risk for coronary heart disease and probably had Lyme disease.

It’s certain he died a violent death: In 2007, CT scans showed that an arrowhead had lacerated his left subclavian artery, leading to fast bleeding.

CAT scan of the mummy’s brain and a paleoproteomic study have recently pointed to a cerebral trauma — a violent blow to the head — as the cause of death.

This is the latest info I have found on Otzi the iceman. Most knew he died a violent death but I for one had not heard he had also been clubbed to finish him off.

news.discovery.com...
The history of finding the body

4. Radio carbon dating established that the Ötzi lived around 5,000 years ago, between 3350 and 3100 B.C

6. Ötzi was probably a bearded, furrow faced man. He was about 5 foot, 3 inches tall and weighed 110 pounds.
7. He lacked a twelfth pair of ribs — a rare anatomical anomaly.

news.discovery.com... and this link has a slide show of what Otzi looks today... Yep he has seen better days but he has living relatives, who would have known?

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Now that is a long family tree.
So...they inherit his stuff, right?
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Pretty awesome!

I wish I had the time to understand genetics better to be more critical of the findings. Instead, I will wonder does this mean he had decedents (kids) or do these modern folks merely share a more 'generic' family Otzi was a part of?

Over the years I have loved listening to the experts pontificate on this or that about Otzi only to have later evidence send the case in a different direction.

join