It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question for any teachers in ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Firstly a bit of history.

When I was at school, if I or any other pupil screwed around, we were punished for our actions. This usually took the form of detentions. The logic went that if we messed around at school, we would just have to stay there longer at the end of the day. Eventually we realised that if we wanted to get out of school on time, we just had to stop buggering around. It worked.

Fast forward two decades. Bart (KayEm's son) constantly screws around at school. He doesn't like school and doesn't want to go, so he plays up in class. So what does the school do ? - Is he kept back after school for punishment ? ... of course not - he is 'punished' by having a schedule set up for him that means he only has to go to school for half a day !!! - what kind of stupidity is that.

He doesn't want to school, so rather than teaching him the folly of his actions with such punishments as detention, loss of privileges etc, they give him what he wants !!! - he's effectively being rewarded for screwing around in class.

And to top it all, today they actually suspended him for a day (effective tomorrow), for 'wandering the halls'

Do these people know what they are doing ? Do they want to churn out kids with no educational merits ?

In locus parentis ? - I wouldn't trust these people to walk my dog !

I really would appreciate some info on this from any teachers here. I just can't understand the logic of it.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I'm not a teacher but in our district, if you mess around in school its either detention, central detention, suspenion etc getting higher for each offense and how bad it is.

One thing that they do, is they send the really bad kids to a differnt school where they stay all day in that school in one room with nothing to do, just a lot of work.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I'm a teacher but not in public schools. In my senior year of highschool I suffered from the same 'affliction' as your Bart here. The school authorities treated it the same way. I was initially given detention, but then I wouldn't turn up for the detention.

Then they tried the other tack and reduced my class load, hoping that I wouldn't find school so annoying. That didn't work, because I got what I wanted, and also figured that they really didn't think it so important that I be there either, so Iit encouraged me to skip school even more.

Then they suspended me, which was their way of saying, "Dear parent, we have no idea how to control your child and now leave it up to you to deal with."

Eventually I was expelled and went into the workforce, happy as Larry, ne'er to return.

Not really an encouraging story, I know, but maybe you have to look at prevention rather than cure. Without knowing too much about your situation, maybe you could try to figure out WHY he doesn't like school and deal with the problem at its root. Nobody ever tried that with me. Beating him into liking it (metaphorically speaking, of course) will never work, particularly if he thrives off rebellion. You'll probably get a "it sux" answer, but that's usually not all their is to it.

Just a suggestion.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I’m not a teacher but I do have a comment. The school has a responsibility to teach and guide all the children attending classes. This doesn’t mean all responsibility for keeping Bart (KayEm's son) “in line” should be placed on the school. If their schools punishment isn’t working the parents need to step up to the plate. I’m not suggesting that KayEm isn’t doing her part only that it is ultimately her responsibility.

If he likes the fact that his school day has been shortened because of his attitude and failure to follow the rules it could reinforce his negative behavior. I would show him that there is no reward for this by removing all his privileges, no tv, no video games, no playing with friends and no allowance to name a few. He will soon learn to follow the rules and in time regain these things he lost when the school reports that his attitude has changed.

new topics

top topics

join