It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians need to be more like Jews

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
There's an interesting phenomenon at work on the ATS boards when it comes to discussing theology; if someone wants to criticize ignorance in religion, they almost always turn their guns on Christians. I'm not saying that its not deserved in some-okay,many-cases, but as others have already pointed out, we get numerous threads questioning the existence or divinity of Jesus, the scientific impossibility of Biblical stories and the shortage of supporting archaeological evidence for Biblical characters, events and places...but we never get anyone questioning whether or not Buddha really existed or if Krishna was really the incarnation of Brahma. 95% of the time, it's Christians in the hot seat. (The other 5% of the time, it's people pointing out something really shocking about Islam, maybe hoping we'll support the War on Terror or something.)

I'm not here to complain about the unfairness of that; I understand that the majority of ATS is in America, where Christianity is the dominant religion, and that atheism (and the religion-bashing that often accompanies it) is the default setting setting of many smart people. BTW, I do think it's foolish for Christians to try to intellectually prove God and the Bible, as it can't be done. There's nothing wrong with disproving faulty research that people sometimes use to discredit Christianity, but the bottom line is that belief is exactly that-faith. If it were scientifically provable, everyone would accept it, and it would be worthless.

Yes, Christianity has a lot of beliefs that seem ridiculous:

* the idea that the Earth is only 6,000 years old and was made in six days.
*the idea that all races of people sprang from one family.
* the idea that two members of every species on Earth could fit in a boat the size of a WW2 destroyer.
* the idea that humans were going to build a tower to Heaven and that God was concerned that it would work, so he invented all the languages.
* the idea that homosexuality and witchcraft are evil.

What a retarded collection of beliefs, right? You know who else has those beliefs? Jews. In fact, we got all those ideas from them. And yet, you never hear anybody saying, "Those Jews are so ignorant!" No, instead it's "Those Christians are so ignorant!"

Part of why this happens is because criticizing Jewish people in this day and age is about as socially acceptable as cannibalism or pedophilia, but part of it has to do with the fact that people leave the Jews alone (at least when it comes to their faith), because they leave other people alone. They're not pushing their morality on people.

The main reason why people get uptight about Christianity is that we try to impose our morality on society as a whole. Jesus never mandated this, and he never asked us to do it either. We're supposed to spread the Gospel, and love people. That's it.

If you press Christian activists on it this issue, they will reply that it is important that a nation obey the laws of God so that the entire nation will be financially blessed and kept from harm. Well, guess where this idea came from. Yup. the Old Testament, also known as the Jewish Torah. The New Testament tells us to obey the laws of the land. It doesn't say anything about changing them. The New Testament tells us not to love money-so why are we seeking financial blessings by (selectively) keeping a mixture of Old and New Testament Law?

So I propose that if Christians are so hot to pretend to be Jewish, then we should behave like the Jews and stop annoying people. This would be good PR, and it can help us attract more people to the faith.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Snsoc

People who are active in the Jewish faith here in the USA aren't trying to legislate Jewishness to proselytize their belief system. You don't see Jews asking for the 10 Commandments to be posted in front of court houses, to have their opinion on women's reproductive rights legislated to apply to all women or to ban evolution and teach creationism in public schools.

You don't see Jews on street corners preaching doom and gloom or picketing soldiers funerals or holding up signs to tell us what God hates.

Jews don't carp on about the "War on Hanukkah" or tell children that they're sinners, unworthy of God's gift of grace and will suffer in eternal damnation.

If they did, I'd be the first one to start a thread railing on them.

ETA: Here on ATS, whenever the Old Testament and it's God are criticized, so is the Jewish faith.

edit on 15-10-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Snsoc

Christians don't need to be more like Jews........they need to be more like JESUS!

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Snsoc
behave like the Jews and stop annoying people.

^ ^ smells of :
projection . . .
the rant was totally :
dictionary.reference

. . . no constructive discussion

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Snsoc

Christians are always the ones telling me how I can live my life, and they are the ones making theocratic-like laws in this country. They are the ones that made my youth a living nightmare. They are the ones in power. So lets stop with this woe is me i'm a christian and everyone's against me nonsense. You OWN this country.

So ya.. that's how it goes. Take a little blow back from what your group has done. You reap what you sow. It's in the bible.

(i'm not anti-christian at all. do what you want. just leave the rest of us alone.)
edit on 15-10-2013 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   

olaru12
reply to post by Snsoc

Christians don't need to be more like Jews........they need to be more like JESUS!

Agree with you Bro.

Just because someone receives Water Baptism does not mean the person is automatically Christian.

A Christian is a person who believes in the teachings of Jesus Christ, Right? But more than 90% are Fake.
They only believe in Jesus Teachings but never act like Jesus Christ.
Im not offending you my Christian Brothers and Sisters. I'm trying to push You Christians to Live Like Christ.
Help changes Society to be better place!! There are so many people who needs your help not your Testimonies as Christian or Invitation to join Christianity.
Helping people = Spreading True Miracle.

Just Remember this:

False Christians Live Like Paranoids (spending rest of life on Prediction, Postdiction, Rapture, Mark of The Beast, etc etc, defending Fantasy Ego/Creationism).

True Christians Live Like Christ. (No need of Baptism)
edit on 16-10-2013 by dodol because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Snsoc

Jewish people have a tradition that is different than that of mainstream Christianity - they view their religion and rituals as a way to build a community, but their main focus is on creating a good life for themselves while they are here on Earth. Many of them do not believe in an afterlife, in fact.

So you have a group of people that not only understand how to think about things in a reasonable manner, but also understand how important it is to have a common culture and rituals to bond over.

Jewish people are very level-headed, in my experience. There was a Jewish fellow on Anderson Cooper during the Syria crisis who was giving the best advice out of the lot of them.
edit on 16-10-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   

olaru12
reply to post by Snsoc

That too, I have no idea where Christians these days get their ideology from, it almost seems like they forgot all about the New Testament and decided to delve into the Old Testament entirely, and take it more seriously than Jewish people, even.

If you look at Catholicism and Episcopalianism, I think you might find that they are not as hostile as all of the new Christian religions formed in the U.S., which I think are mostly Protestant -

In fact, I think if you get down to it, Protestantism could be the more specific issue. Just look at JFK, he was the first Catholic elected President of the U.S., and everyone freaked out.
edit on 16-10-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Nobody needs to be like anybody else but themselves.

If anything.

The only person you should try to be is better than the person you were yesterday.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   

pirhanna
reply to post by Snsoc

Christians are always the ones telling me how I can live my life, and they are the ones making theocratic-like laws in this country. They are the ones that made my youth a living nightmare. They are the ones in power. So lets stop with this woe is me i'm a christian and everyone's against me nonsense. You OWN this country.

So ya.. that's how it goes. Take a little blow back from what your group has done. You reap what you sow. It's in the bible.

(i'm not anti-christian at all. do what you want. just leave the rest of us alone.)
edit on 15-10-2013 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

Well, you and I are on the same page, if you read closely. I'm also against the legislation of morality.

I never said "woe is me, everyone is against me."

I also admitted that the criticism was earned.

The substance of my remarks is not to complain about persecution, but to seek how to avoid unnecessary rejection of our religion. Your hostility is "Exhibit A" of how we have failed.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   

windword
reply to post by Snsoc

. You don't see Jews asking for the 10 Commandments to be posted in front of court houses,

Exactly! The irony kills me! We're busy trying to post the Jewish 10 Commandments, something that they are not even trying to do.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Snsoc
we should behave like the Jews and stop annoying people.

Pushing man-made zionism politically,financially is not
exactly leaving other people alone,
it just annoys us.

Snsoc You don't see Jews asking for the 10 Commandments

That's because the are no 'ten commandments' in judiasm , judiasm follows
the 613 'commandments'
edit on 16/10/13 by ToneDeaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   

unb3k44n7
Nobody needs to be like anybody else but themselves.

If anything.

The only person you should try to be is better than the person you were yesterday.

I agree with you

but unfortunately this can be misleading to modern people.

If they agree, They will likely live as what they think they are, ego.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   

windword
reply to post by Snsoc

People who are active in the Jewish faith here in the USA aren't trying to legislate Jewishness to proselytize their belief system. You don't see Jews asking for the 10 Commandments to be posted in front of court houses, to have their opinion on women's reproductive rights legislated to apply to all women or to ban evolution and teach creationism in public schools.

You don't see Jews on street corners preaching doom and gloom or picketing soldiers funerals or holding up signs to tell us what God hates.

Jews don't carp on about the "War on Hanukkah" or tell children that they're sinners, unworthy of God's gift of grace and will suffer in eternal damnation.

If they did, I'd be the first one to start a thread railing on them.

ETA: Here on ATS, whenever the Old Testament and it's God are criticized, so is the Jewish faith.

edit on 15-10-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

Thought i'd just repost this reply so everyone can read it again...

Well said windword

*thumbs up emote*

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   
My beef with Christians, are that they are the ones who babble about their religion the most for the most part.

Christians try their hardest to get you to think the way they do. And I don't know about you, be a religion that desperately tries to convert people, is probably a religion you don't want to believe.

It's just pumped full of fear on top of fear, on top of fear. I get tired of hearing about it.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Point taken,
Christians spread the gospel to every one
jews keep it within their own ,
Ok , now I get it.

something as this :
info

________
edit on 16/10/13 by ToneDeaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Snsoc
...but we never get anyone questioning whether or not Buddha really existed or if Krishna was really the incarnation of Brahma. 95% of the time, it's Christians in the hot seat.

Atheists have attempted to reclassify Buddhism as a non-religion. Buddhism has no deity per se, therefore it doesn't fit into their definition of "religion". It's a convenient way of justifying their inability to criticize it and of hiding their ignorance of it. Instead, they'll call it a "philosophy of living" or something the like--something they don't have to address because it's a non-religion.

But if you ask Buddhists whether or not they feel their beliefs constitute a religion, half of them would answer resoundingly in the affirmative, and the other half might laugh and dismiss the question as irrelevant.

Atheists have no answer for Buddhism, so they arrogantly re-characterize a religion in a way that doesn't reflect the attitudes of its own adherents.

Who do you guys think you are, anyway?

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Snsoc

Seriously. What are you on?

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   

olaru12

That's what I was going to say!

Snsoc
if someone wants to criticize ignorance in religion, they almost always turn their guns on Christians.

Well .. comeon ... the Abrahamic religions are easy to pull apart. The Old Testament ... are you kidding me? It's like shooting fish in a barrel. The stories around Abraham and Moses are easily debunked, and that drives a knife right into the heart of Judaism and Islam .. and gives Christianity a serious black eye. Easy peasy. If people dont' want their religions debunked, then they should pick better religions to belong to ... either that, or they should decide that they don't care that they belong to something that is easily debunked and just live their lives as they wish.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   

dodol

olaru12
reply to post by Snsoc

Agree with you Bro.

Just because someone receives Water Baptism does not mean the person is automatically Christian.

A Christian is a person who believes in the teachings of Jesus Christ, Right? But more than 90% are Fake.
They only believe in Jesus Teachings but never act like Jesus Christ.
Im not offending you my Christian Brothers and Sisters. I'm trying to push You Christians to Live Like Christ.
Help changes Society to be better place!! There are so many people who needs your help not your Testimonies as Christian or Invitation to join Christianity.
Helping people = Spreading True Miracle.

Just Remember this:

False Christians Live Like Paranoids (spending rest of life on Prediction, Postdiction, Rapture, Mark of The Beast, etc etc, defending Fantasy Ego/Creationism).

True Christians Live Like Christ. (No need of Baptism)

Those that you label as True Christians get baptised with the real deal when it is their time and when there is a real need. But if they call themselves Christians or not is another matter. True Christians need no label or garment of what they are. They know what they are.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join