posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 09:54 PM
There's an interesting phenomenon at work on the ATS boards when it comes to discussing theology; if someone wants to criticize ignorance in
religion, they almost always turn their guns on Christians. I'm not saying that its not deserved in some-okay,many-cases, but as others have
already pointed out, we get numerous threads questioning the existence or divinity of Jesus, the scientific impossibility of Biblical stories and the
shortage of supporting archaeological evidence for Biblical characters, events and places...but we never get anyone questioning whether or not Buddha
really existed or if Krishna was really the incarnation of Brahma. 95% of the time, it's Christians in the hot seat. (The other 5% of the time, it's
people pointing out something really shocking about Islam, maybe hoping we'll support the War on Terror or something.)
I'm not here to complain about the unfairness of that; I understand that the majority of ATS is in America, where Christianity is the dominant
religion, and that atheism (and the religion-bashing that often accompanies it) is the default setting setting of many smart people. BTW, I do think
it's foolish for Christians to try to intellectually prove God and the Bible, as it can't be done. There's nothing wrong with disproving faulty
research that people sometimes use to discredit Christianity, but the bottom line is that belief is exactly that-faith. If it were scientifically
provable, everyone would accept it, and it would be worthless.
Yes, Christianity has a lot of beliefs that seem ridiculous:
* the idea that the Earth is only 6,000 years old and was made in six days.
*the idea that all races of people sprang from one family.
* the idea that two members of every species on Earth could fit in a boat the size of a WW2 destroyer.
* the idea that humans were going to build a tower to Heaven and that God was concerned that it would work, so he invented all the languages.
* the idea that homosexuality and witchcraft are evil.
What a retarded collection of beliefs, right? You know who else has those beliefs? Jews. In fact, we got all those ideas from them. And yet, you never
hear anybody saying, "Those Jews are so ignorant!" No, instead it's "Those Christians are so ignorant!"
Part of why this happens is because criticizing Jewish people in this day and age is about as socially acceptable as cannibalism or pedophilia, but
part of it has to do with the fact that people leave the Jews alone (at least when it comes to their faith), because they leave other people alone.
They're not pushing their morality on people.
The main reason why people get uptight about Christianity is that we try to impose our morality on society as a whole. Jesus never mandated this, and
he never asked us to do it either. We're supposed to spread the Gospel, and love people. That's it.
If you press Christian activists on it this issue, they will reply that it is important that a nation obey the laws of God so that the entire nation
will be financially blessed and kept from harm. Well, guess where this idea came from. Yup. the Old Testament, also known as the Jewish Torah. The
New Testament tells us to obey the laws of the land. It doesn't say anything about changing them. The New Testament tells us not to love money-so why
are we seeking financial blessings by (selectively) keeping a mixture of Old and New Testament Law?
So I propose that if Christians are so hot to pretend to be Jewish, then we should behave like the Jews and stop annoying people. This would be good
PR, and it can help us attract more people to the faith.