It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Glenn Greenwald is leaving The Guardian

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Time GGSideDocs and The Verge

Statement of Glenn Greenwald

"My partnership with the Guardian has been extremely fruitful and fulfilling: I have high regard for the editors and journalists with whom I worked and am incredibly proud of what we achieved.
"The decision to leave was not an easy one, but I was presented with a once-in-a-career dream journalistic opportunity that no journalist could possibly decline.
"Because this news leaked before we were prepared to announce it, I'm not yet able to provide any details of this momentous new venture, but it will be unveiled very shortly;"

Also related - maybe?
SecureDrop: Aaron Swartz's Platform for Whistleblowers Rebooted

The dream of providing would-be whistleblowers with a WikiLeaks-style safe and anonymous platform to leak incendiary documents to news organizations lives on.

edit on 15-10-2013 by ATSmediaPRO because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ATSmediaPRO

Hmm, I'm interested in learning more about this new venture of his. Secure drop does sound promising, i'll have to look into it more. We definitely need some "free" press. Thanks for the tidbit.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ATSmediaPRO

How coincidental is it that Glenn Greenwald leaves the Guardian for a dream opportunity with a news organization that does not exist yet, but is about to exist, and the recent news of YouTube users being approached by the White Dragon Society?
edit on 15-10-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

ATS: White Dragon Society Recruiting Prominent YouTubers?
edit on 15-10-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   

ATSmediaPRO
"My partnership with the Guardian has been extremely fruitful and fulfilling: I have high regard for the editors and journalists with whom I worked and am incredibly proud of what we achieved.

I decided to have a look since I often don't value the Guardian's brand of journalism, pleased I did since I might look a bit stoopid if I hadn't. There are some articles by Greenwald which are decent or at least compelling reading.

Might be worth following through with what Greenwald does after this, though I'd be concerned any new 'wikileaks' style initiatives might be honey traps by alphabet agencies of various countries to gather overseas dirt and intel. I mean it's a no brainer ... set up website, sit and play video games, receive free intel.
edit on 15-10-2013 by Pinke because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-10-2013 by Pinke because: Edit: tags!

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Only thing I can think of is maybe a UN backed news agency that offers protection for whistle blowers by the world community. I know Hillary wanted a official US 24 hour news service like CNN ran by the government. Could she have decided to switch over to the UN instead? And offer protection to leakers? And it would destroy the NSA leaks because of the number of countries that are involved with them. The global spying would end up being protected from more NSA leaks.
edit on 15-10-2013 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Looks like he's teaming up with the founder of EBay...
A number of other "names of repute" may be on the roster, as well, according to recent tweets from Christiane Amanpour.
Guess we'll see.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by WanDash

That is interesting. seems he has been bought off over his NSA files. He has been brought into the heart of the NSA spying operations expansion into Africa. Remember the slide show.

www.extremetech.com...

Africa is where they are expanding in order to create Complete Information Awareness. And Pierre Omidyar is in South Africa pushing cellphones and apps expanding coverage. Who is he working with? Vodafone is the main supplier if not the only supplier. And they work with McKinsey and Co. Who are they? The main source of the NSA. Or should I say the main supplier of Special Source Operations. That is where you have a key person in a corporation who will feed the NSA information or even install spying software for the NSA in a Corporations infrastructure.

en.wikipedia.org...&_Company

McKinsey has produced more CEOs than any other company and is referred to by Fortune magazine as "the best CEO launch pad".[79] More than 70 past and present CEOs at Fortune 500 companies are former McKinsey employees. Among McKinsey’s most notable alumni are:
Ian Narev, CEO of Commonwealth Bank of Australia
Frank Appel, CEO of Deutsche Post DHL
Greg Case, CEO of Aon plc
Vittorio Colao, CEO of Vodafone
Chelsea Clinton, daughter of former President Bill Clinton
Erik Engstrom, CEO of Reed Elsevier
Bernard T. Ferrari, Dean of Johns Hopkins University Carey Business School
Russell P. Fradin, CEO of SunGard
Harvey Golub, former CEO of American Express and former Chairman of American International Group
Louis V. Gerstner, Jr., former chairman and CEO of IBM and chairman of The Carlyle Group
James P. Gorman, President and CEO of Morgan Stanley
Stephen Green, chairman of HSBC
Rajat Gupta, former managing director of McKinsey & Company, co-founder of the Indian School of Business, and corporate board member
William Hague, UK Foreign Secretary
Mohsin Hamid, author of Moth Smoke, The Reluctant Fundamentalist, and How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia
Bobby Jindal, current Governor of Louisiana
Marius Kloppers, CEO of BHP Billiton
Anil Kumar, former senior partner of McKinsey & Company and co-founder of the Indian School of Business
Jim Manzi, former CEO of Lotus Development Corporation
David McCormick, co-CEO of Bridgewater Associates and former Under Secretary for International Affairs within the United States Department of the Treasury
James McNerney, chairman and CEO of Boeing
Helmut Panke, former chairman and CEO of BMW AG
Corrado Passera, Italian Minister of Development and Minister of Infrastructures, ex-CEO of Intesa Sanpaolo
Tom Peters, business management writer and co-author of In Search of Excellence
Sheryl Sandberg, COO at Facebook
Jonathan Schwartz, former CEO of Sun Microsystems
Kevin Sharer, CEO of Amgen
Jeffrey Skilling, former CEO of Enron
Jonathan Spector, CEO of The Conference Board
Tidjane Thiam, CEO of Prudential Plc
Adair Turner, Chairman of the Financial Services Authority
Peter Wuffli, former CEO of UBS AG
David Coleman, CEO of College Board
Carter F. Bales, Chairman and Managing Partner of NewWorld Capital Group

Notice Chelsea Clinton? She is sitting on a board of a couple corporations that over see many online companies. Like this one.

iac.com...

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Glenn Greenwald and Matt Taibbi are the best journalists working in the US today. Very few have the guts to take on the subject matter they do and maintain their integrity. Bill Moyers used to fill that role nicely but I think he got absorbed by the borg more or less somewhere down the line.
Were it not for the 2 men mentioned above I shudder to think how limited the exposure would be of the public about certain bank scams, drones, loss of civil liberties, etc. Their efforts are little short of heroic imo. God Bless 'em both.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   

JBA2848
...That is interesting. seems he has been bought off over his NSA files. He has been brought into the heart of the NSA spying operations expansion into Africa. Remember the slide show.
Africa is where they are expanding in order to create Complete Information Awareness. And Pierre Omidyar is in South Africa pushing cellphones and apps expanding coverage. Who is he working with? Vodafone is the main supplier if not the only supplier. And they work with McKinsey and Co. ...

I do remember the McKinsey & Co. info. Just came across it within the past few days, again (don't recall where or in reference to what).
If he(Glenn Greenwald)'s been bought off...then Jeremy Scahill has too - as, Omidyar has told the same Christiane Amanpour that both Scahill and Laura Poitras will be joining the venture, as well.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

You may be right.
I don't know much about this guy...but, he's been keeping a pretty keen eye out (at least recently, since I started watching his Tweets) on matters of similar import...
Name of Kevin Gosztola ( @kgosztola ).
He retweeted Jacob Applebaum, who pointed to this story regarding the subject of this thread.

Supposedly, Greenwald had already been discussing a new venture with Scahill and Poitras prior to being contacted by Omidyar - after discussions between the two groups, they decided to join forces...

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by WanDash

Funny, I forgot about Scahill even though I'm Reading his new book Dirty Wars right now. He's more of an investigator maybe but he's only really dealt with the whole subject of private military contractors like Blackwater/XE.
Good guy to join up with, this sounds like a promising venture.
Here's to getting to the truth and letting it be known!

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by WanDash

Well remember who Pierre Omidyar teamed up with to get rich from Ebay. Meg Whitman. The same one who worked with Mitt Romney at Bain Capitol. And Booz Allen that Snowden works for has been partners so to speak with HP. Remember the Navy Yard shooter who worked for HP. Well Booz Allen did the contract for HP.

HP Holds Navy Network ‘Hostage’ for $3.3 Billion
www.wired.com...

Just to make sure its core networks keep running – to make sure marines and sailors can keep e-mailing each other on Oct. 1st — the Navy is paying Hewlett Packard $1.788 billion. (Booz Allen Hamilton, another outside contractor, handled the negotiations with Hewlett-Packard for the military.) The service will spend another $1.6 billion to buy from HP the equipment troops have worked on for years, and to license the network diagrams and configuration documents, so that the Navy can begin to plan for a future in which they’re not utterly reliant on HP for their most basic communications. In essence, the Navy is paying to look at the blueprints to the network it has been using for a decade.

And HP did both background checks for Eric Snowden and Aaron Alexis. And Greenwald is joining this mess with his new adventure? Seems he is being bought off to control the mess HP and Booz Allen are in with leaks and shootings.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   

JBA2848
Well remember who Pierre Omidyar teamed up with to get rich from Ebay. Meg Whitman. The same one who worked with Mitt Romney at Bain Capitol. And Booz Allen that Snowden works for has been partners so to speak with HP. Remember the Navy Yard shooter who worked for HP. Well Booz Allen did the contract for HP.
HP Holds Navy Network ‘Hostage’ for $3.3 Billion
...And HP did both background checks for Eric Snowden and Aaron Alexis. And Greenwald is joining this mess with his new adventure? Seems he is being bought off to control the mess HP and Booz Allen are in with leaks and shootings.

Well - I'm not a part of it... Had nothing to do with it.
I'm hoping that since Greenwald, Scahill and Poitras were working on a venture of their own, prior to Omidyar approaching Greenwald...and talks ensued between both parties...and some kind of agreement was reached among said parties - that it will not be a let-down.
Supposedly Omidyar has been critical of the NSA spying and has pressed for transparency, as well.
You know, just as I do, that public denunciation does not mean personal conviction...
So - unless they're gonna offer me (or you) a few million to keep everything on the up and up - I don't think I'll have much say in their game plan.
In agreement with AsktheAnimals - "here's to hoping".

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by WanDash

I did not think you had a part in it. I just can't believe Greenwald appears to be selling out. And Omidyar is even involved in Kenya where the mall shootings happened. His tax return is below.

cryptome.org...

And this is the company he paid money to. A puppet show that touches on Political corruption and politics.

www.bunimedia.com...

So the NSA buying off Greenwald will turn into a puppet show to laugh at.

And looking at the media page you will even see VOA Voice of America listed.

www.bunimedia.com...

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

You could be right.
I'm hoping otherwise.
As was in the OP - maybe SecureDrop will make up for the slack if they let go of the rope.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Not selling out folks... Greenwald is preserving the future of reporting in the US and the world.

In an interview with media critic and New York University professor of journalism, Jay Rosen, the auction site founder said his decision to stump up $250m (£156m, €184m) in cash was based on his "rising concern about press freedoms in the United States and around the world".

Ebay Founder Pierre Omidyar Pumps $250m in Media Venture with Edward Snowden NSA Scandal Journalist Glenn Greenwal

Anyways, my dream would be for a worldwide agency. "The Relaible News Network". The news could be blockbuster news similar to the Snowden leaks, and they could also concentrate on correcting worldwide propaganda. A place people know that they can turn to for the truth. And where whistleblowers will be welcomed.

top topics

join