It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan launches QRA 185 times in 3rd quarter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
From July to September of this year, Japan launched their Quick Reaction Alert aircraft 185 times, the third highest since 2005, the year the Japanese government started releasing figures.

That includes 80 launches against Chinese aircraft and UAVs, including two H-6G patrol aircraft, and a BZK-005 UAV.

That also includes launches against Russian aircraft as well. From April-June they launched 31 times against Russian aircraft, that went up to 105 in the third quarter.

theaviationist.com...

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I wonder how many times the U.S. has had to intercept Russian assets in the same time period? I know the Russian's are ramping up strategic bomber flights to Asia and North America but is the increase near Japan spiking more than the increase near US interests?
I haven’t heard of the Chinese doing the same probing of air defenses around US bases in the Pacific region either. Unless I’m mistaken China doesn’t fly anything of intercontinental range to reach U.S. mainland so flying close to U.S. bases would be the most they could do to test U.S. detection/stand-off ability first hand.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Sammamishman

The Chinese intercepts have been around the Senkaku Islands which are disputed. Both Japan and China claim them, because they're resource rich. As for around the US, Russia has been pretty quiet lately. They've been doing more long range stuff in Europe and the Pacific for training.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Thanks for the quick reply. I know China and Japan aren't exactly on speaking terms about much of anything. Japan's reputation in SE Asia is like the US's reputation in the Middle East, the country everyone likes to not like.
Have you heard of China flying near any of our Pacific bases though?

P.S. Since I can't start a thread yet I thought you might like to take a look at this article:
defensetech.org...

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Sammamishman

Yeah, I heard about that when they started it.

No, China isn't really interested in the US bases. They're pushing the limits on the Senkaku and Spratly Islands, and seeing what they can get away with. They want all those islands, and have challenged everyone for them (6 or 8 countries claim the Spratly Islands).

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Could also just being so close together, by that I mean their air territories there is more potential for aircraft to drift into 'enemy' territory

Where as say for the likes of the UK and Russia or the USA and Russia there is a lot of room to fly about so to speak

new topics

top topics

join