It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moose Die-Off Alarms Scientists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Did a search, and I didn't find anything posted.
So if I missed a thread somewhere, please close this this one.

Ok, saw this today and didn't know what to think.
Over the last few years its been birds, fish, bees and now moose?

Sad news, and no answers as to why.

(NYTimes)-CHOTEAU, Mont. — Across North America — in places as far-flung as Montana and British Columbia, New Hampshire and Minnesota — moose populations are in steep decline. And no one is sure why.

www.nytimes.com... Y2ZUgK4Q

Other links to the story..

www.huffingtonpost.com...
www.upi.com...
edit on 15-10-2013 by Black_Fox because: SpELLiNG

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
NH Fish and Game were blaming an explosion in the tick population.

Winter tick populations kill-off Maine moose

Ticks devastating NH moose population

At the same time both NH and ME are reporting record numbers of deer.

At the same time the ME F&G say:

Moose infected with brain worm almost always die, but winter tick and lung worm infestations rarely kill moose.
link
edit on 15-10-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Nature self-regulates its populations. When man gets into the mix and tries to "manage" populations, we're interfering with a natural process that existed far before man.

There's tons of moose still around here, I named the one that comes by each winter to eat my alder tree "Mortimer"

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Moose around here seem to be doing alright. The deer population dropped a lot last winter though, the winter was long and the snow deep. There could be a lot of reasons for the die off of moose, both man caused and just nature doing it's thing. If it is nature, we can't do much about it but the DNR should reduce hunting licenses for a year or two in the areas effected.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
It's nature self correcting. It happens with the deer every once in awhile, and always will. The moose and prey populations should never have gotten to the levels they were at, if man hadn't meddled and wiped out the other predators that were keeping them in check. Now they've reached levels that can't be sustained anymore, and nature is correcting the problem.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Black_Fox

Hmmm. CWD might be endemic in these areas.

Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) is a degenerative, fatal brain disease that affects ...moose ...

Chronic Wasting Disease belongs to a group of diseases called transmissible spongiform encephalopathies. While CWD is similar to bovine spongiform encephalopathy (also known as BSE or "mad cow disease") in cattle...

More info here: Prions Found in Plants

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Is it just a natural correction?

Was this...?

www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

When a population gets too big, then infection and disease is more common. Just as when food is too abundant you don't have the older, weaker, and sicker animals dying off because they have too much food.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Zaphod58
reply to post by olaru12

When a population gets too big, then infection and disease is more common. Just as when food is too abundant you don't have the older, weaker, and sicker animals dying off because they have too much food.

Didn't watch the video did you? This was a healthy heard that died literally overnite.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Then there was something there that they missed.

Not all of us are able to watch videos. But populations are out of control, which is going to lead to die-offs.

top topics

join