It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Andover High Punishes Teen For Giving Drunken Pal Ride Home From Party

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Two weeks ago, Erin received a call from a friend at a party who was too drunk to drive. Erin drove to Boxford after work to pick up her friend. Moments after she arrived, the cops arrived too and busted several kids for underage possession of alcohol.

A North Andover High School honor student, Erin was cleared by police, who agreed she had not been drinking and was not in possession of alcohol. But Andover High told Erin she was in violation of the district’s zero tolerance policy against alcohol and drug use. In the middle of her senior year, Erin was demoted from captain of the volleyball team and told she would be suspended from playing for five games

boston.cbslocal.com...

This seems wrong. A student trying to be responsible gets punished. Even the police admit she had not been engaged in drinking and the event. Is reasoning a thing of the past...

+5 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

Zero tolerance policies aren't really about protecting "the children". While this is my opinion it's based on observations of the differences between how kids were punished when I was a kid (yes, I'm pre "No Child Left Behind") and today. In fact, I'm so old that they didn't get rid of corporal punishment until I was in the 8th grade.

Zero tolerance is about creating a system of fear in the upcoming generation. It's about preparing them for unjust punishment so that when a police state is implemented they will say things like "Oh, well, when I was a kid I got in trouble for this or that and got this punishment, so it seems perfectly logical to lock someone up for 10 years for speaking out against their leaders."

It's nothing more than indoctrination into the Global Corporate State.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   

revswirl

Zero tolerance policies aren't really about protecting "the children". While this is my opinion it's based on observations of the differences between how kids were punished when I was a kid (yes, I'm pre "No Child Left Behind") and today. In fact, I'm so old that they didn't get rid of corporal punishment until I was in the 8th grade.

Zero tolerance is about creating a system of fear in the upcoming generation. It's about preparing them for unjust punishment so that when a police state is implemented they will say things like "Oh, well, when I was a kid I got in trouble for this or that and got this punishment, so it seems perfectly logical to lock someone up for 10 years for speaking out against their leaders."

It's nothing more than indoctrination into the Global Corporate State.

Nope, that a word I could add that would say it better.
No Child Left Behind - get on the fear train kids, it's the ride of a lifetime.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by revswirl

It certainly seems as that is true otherwise common sense has gone away and lessons taught are really not lessons.

Now I wonder if negative events have happened there because of this policy. I think some will learn from this and what they are leaning is not what should be.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
What the hell! I am literally speechless about this article. Shouldn't the school be promoting responsibility and encouraging this girl to help her friends that were drunk so they wouldn't drive home? I really hate zero tolerance rules, they just create problems like this.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Zero Tolerance?
More like Zero Intelligence.

Really, how hard is it for someone to look at this and say.
Ah she was doing the right thing.
Good for her.

This is why people sue in this country.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I think this is relevant here

“Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say.Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right.

This nation was founded on one principle above all else: The requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world -- "No, YOU move.”

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
It appears many school administrators have risen to their level of incompetence. Power is corrupting in many ways.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
The agenda is *ALL* about dependency.

Any display of independence or individualism is attacked with the full force of extreme jealousy, vengeance, and grudgery.

I would say their *correct* action should have been to call somebody of *Authority*, not just *help*.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Zero tolerance policies were originally on the school grounds (or school sponsored activities) it's self. So now they extend everywhere??? I thought it was BS in the beginning when a kid would be punished for being in a fight when he was only trying defend himself. Now it's totally insane bat s**t crazy!!!

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
[sarc] Better tell your kids that if they get in a fight defending themselves from bullies or whatever, make sure they give it their all because they will only get one chance before the school expels them.
[/sarc]

Okay, in all seriousness a few years back, didn't MADD and the school districts all team together and promote calling peers for rides during school events such as proms where after parties seem to be quite prevalent. I thought they were promoting responsibility and now it is wrong to do it. What gives?

Also, if this were a private house or non-school location that this party took place at , why is the school involved at all? This used to be a matter which the police would come and break up the party taking kids into custody at their discretion and forcing others to dump their drinks and leave. (not quite sure what happened to the unopened beer but that's not for this thread)

The "school" sure has extended it's jurisdiction and with Sandy Hook and similar events, they are looking for reason to arm the teachers at some locations. Those school zone signs used to demarcate the extents of the schools power or influence in laws for drugs and pedophiles is actually usurped for those who use clear judgment.

Total BS. Time to revoke some school members if I lived in that town. This may be a good one for the ACLU since she was discriminated against for "doing the right thing" which is apparently a minority action over there.

edit on 15-10-2013 by evc1shop because: sp

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Zero tolerance is a stupid idea. I challenged the schools zero tolerance policy on fighting when kids were bullying my son, knowing he wouldn't really respond (thinking he would get in trouble).

But I bet taking the case to the news will fix it for them in the end. Public opinion is a powerful court.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

what America was founded on is being corroded away and is becoming nothing more than a memory as incidents like this and thousands more each day even more heinous by those in positions of power are committed.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I will tell you a story. My son was in his Junior year of High School. He was active on the golf team and was a good student. (like his dad, a solid c+ B-) He had been building a tree stand in the woods with one of his friends over the weekend. He has asked if I had a pocket knife and since I buy them in bulk for use on my job, I had plenty. I gave him a small serrated lock blade and didn't give it a second thought.

He goes to school on Monday and slings his coat over his shoulder and the knife I gave him popped out and slid across the floor. The Principal happened to be in the hall at the time and saw the incident. It was also on video. Long story short, my son was expelled from school, kicked off the golf team and sentenced to spend over half of a year in alternative school. That place where the cream of the crop get to go.

I asked why there would be such a harsh punishment for a very obvious mistake. We all admitted it was a rule infraction, but a very minor one. I was told the school had a zero tolerance policy on weapons.

So the purpose of this zero tolerance policy is to make sure that a monkey with a suit can in fact be principal of a High School. They are planning for the new workforce once the "no child left behind" crowd enters and starts to look for employment.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   

network dude
I will tell you a story. My son was in his Junior year of High School. He was active on the golf team and was a good student. (like his dad, a solid c+ B-) He had been building a tree stand in the woods with one of his friends over the weekend. He has asked if I had a pocket knife and since I buy them in bulk for use on my job, I had plenty. I gave him a small serrated lock blade and didn't give it a second thought.

He goes to school on Monday and slings his coat over his shoulder and the knife I gave him popped out and slid across the floor. The Principal happened to be in the hall at the time and saw the incident. It was also on video. Long story short, my son was expelled from school, kicked off the golf team and sentenced to spend over half of a year in alternative school. That place where the cream of the crop get to go.

I asked why there would be such a harsh punishment for a very obvious mistake. We all admitted it was a rule infraction, but a very minor one. I was told the school had a zero tolerance policy on weapons.

So the purpose of this zero tolerance policy is to make sure that a monkey with a suit can in fact be principal of a High School. They are planning for the new workforce once the "no child left behind" crowd enters and starts to look for employment.

My son takes a leathermans tool to school with him. He uses it daily in theater tech and welding class.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by evc1shop

Back when I was in High School, (way back), it was called SADD. These kids would post their home #'s in the school newsletter, so that if a student was out bashing it up, they could call any of them for a ride.

THE SCHOOL PROMOTED THIS!!!!!

Now, we have zero tolerance, meant to make sure that the good kids, that stay out of trouble, are no better than the bad kids, so no kid ever feels bad. Awesome idea!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

He would be expelled if he was in NC. I guess ya'll can open carry your guns in school too. Ahh to be in Texas. The land of "it's OK to have a beer while driving down the road."

BTW, I am not ragging on you, just remembering the good old days.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
It seems wrong because it is 100% wrong and evil. We are all taught to not drive if drunk, to call home or take a cab. And despite this being underage, that is exactly what this is. She was like a guardian angel to do that for a friend.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

Hard to believe your son had to go through that. How can school teach rational thinking and good judgment when those in charge are not able to do it or will not allow it. It is starting to be easy to see why the country is going downhill.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Magister

They started that crap even when I was in school in NY. trying to suspend and expel kids for fighting off school grounds etc. It was bull# then, and bull# now. It all comes down to the nannystate agenda IMO. Big Bro is always watching you, get used to it young. Then when you transfer into the corporate owned world, people aren't surprised when bosses want to regulate their private lives as well as their professional lives.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join