It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Species of Giant Air-Breathing Fish

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Grimpachi

But WOW ten feet I guess this one will not be on river monsters but if I saw this swimming I would still get out.

They have been featured twice. Jeremy Wade was even hurt by one at a farm.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

It’s cool I was being absolutely serious about getting some pictures though for the ones in Asia. Had assumed they would be in the same family and it could have been entirely possible that they hadn’t have been linked.

About 20 years ago when I was stationed in Korea one of the guys caught a snake. None of the locals could believe it they all said there were no snakes where we were. It was turned in to a local college and they wound up classifying it as a newly discovered species-non-venomous. So it can happen for anyone.

When I was a kid my dad found a coral snake by our house that was in NC that wasn’t supposed to be there either.

Anyway I think these fish are pretty cool I would love to see them in person. Just not swim with them.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Grimpachi
reply to post by 13th Zodiac

I don't know your field of work but I do know you didn't read the article otherwise you wouldn't have been off on a tangent like you did. Since you can't be bothered to click on it I will quote some of it here.

For a century and a half, the prevailing view among scientists had been that there was only one species of arapaima, but Stewart has shown that there are actually at least five. In March, he published a paper that renamed a species of arapaima that had been suspected in the 1800s, before scientists decided to roll it up into one species.

The newest species, Arapaima leptosoma, had not been suspected before. It is more slender than other arapaimas (it’s name leptosoma is a reference to this characteristic).

Stewart explained that the new species also has a horizontal black bar on the side of its head, which is a unique series of sensory organs.

The new species was described from a specimen kept at the Instituto Nacional de Pesquisas da Amazônia in Manaus, Brazil. That animal had been collected in 2001 near the confluence of the Solimões and Purus rivers in Amazonas State, Brazil.

So either you want to state something the article already said trying to look smart or you couldn't be bothered to read further.
edit on 15-10-2013 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

You make me look smart. Read your article quote, meaningless. Do you have any idea how many times a minute some clown tries to immortalize himself by revising others work. It is a inside joke. They even argue DNA. These specimens can have dozens a seperate characteristics.Does not change a thing by definition. This so called new fish cannot be called Arapaima leptosoma, but Arapiama gaigas ssp. leptosoma.

And stop crapping on about the asian look a alike ( Arrowana ) they are as distantly related as a human and a chimp. That is where it ends, Close, but they branched off. They don't even get over 4 ft.Not that rules it out. It is more complex. I'm done, you are superior, I'm not worthy .

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
So, then, what is your line of work or whatever? Since you know so much about these fish

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Thanks for posting - I was ignorant about this.

We keep finding new species all the time. The air breathing aspect is real interesting to me.

interesting how we keep finding new things from underwater. this fish is so huge and kept itself hidden for so long. it must have been nearby though to gulp air.

Stewart added that he suspects there may be even more species of arapaima. “We keep finding other things out there,” he said.
He has more fieldwork planned for the future to keep investigating the mysteries of this giant fish.

yes, there must be more to discover down there. maybe there is yet a chance to find a mermaid.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join