It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mickey Mouse and Goofy Shilled for Exxon at Disney World

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Propaganda infiltrates our society, often in the form of cartoons... and in the 1980's comics. Exxon produced this comic to distribute to Disney guests back in 1985. It promotes Oil, and to a lesser point it talks about other energy sources that "are not affordable"... therefore go with Oil... why not? The comic also promotes the mentality that so long as we have something why not ride it to the ground... the same mentality that we currently see all around us... but thats another thread... Enjoy the images

"Mickey and Goofy Explore The Universe of Energy at Epcot Center", 1985.

I thought it odd no one reported this except one overlooked reference in a thread back in 2010.

Source: Gizmodo

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Have you been to Disneyworld? I was there in October of 2001 while down there trucking and as you may imagine, it was a pretty lonely park at that time. I went again recenty with my family and the change was dramatic. Not the # of people, but how over-the-top commercial it's gone.

It's always been bad about that but now? It's every ride, point of interest and seemingly down to the last tree that is "Brought to you by...." and a Corp name. I think I liked it better when the majority of a Disney park was "Brought to me by.....Walt Disney and Co." and it was just the oddball (Rotating panorama / house of the future) attractions or of course, science stuff that is 100% directly donated for the right to hang a name over top of it like Epcot.

Given how bad I saw it this last time? I may well take that as my best memory and not try for another. I should have stopped with 2001 ...but my son had never seen Disney and he's still young enough not to notice the sensation of a corporate plunger going in fore and aft, every few steps one takes there.
edit on 14-10-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
Have you been to Disneyworld? I was there in October of 2001 while down there trucking and as you may imagine, it was a pretty lonely park at that time. I went again recenty with my family and the change was dramatic. Not the # of people, but how over-the-top commercial it's gone.

It's always been bad about that but now? It's every ride, point of interest and seemingly down to the last tree that is "Brought to you by...." and a Corp name. I think I liked it better when the majority of a Disney park was "Brought to me by.....Walt Disney and Co." and it was just the oddball (Rotating panorama / house of the future) attractions or of course, science stuff that is 100% directly donated for the right to hang a name over top of it like Epcot.

Given how bad I saw it this last time? I may well take that as my best memory and not try for another. I should have stopped with 2001 ...but my son had never seen Disney and he's still young enough not to notice the sensation of a corporate plunger going in fore and aft, every few steps one takes there.
edit on 14-10-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

Its much better now than it used to be. Every ride used be corporate sponsered so that when you were getting on it and off it you were often in their show rooms. Of course this how early Disney was able to pay for everything. It still exists but is not as in your face as it used to be.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

Which major ride doesn't open into a store, pimping the merchandise for what the ride was based on or the ride itself? It was Nov. of 2011 when I was last at DWorld and I all but grew up with Disneyland in my backyard plus a cop's kid for the free (later discounted...later discontinued) admissions program they ran in the late 70's and early 80s (as I recall for timeline)

I guess my observations could be all wrong...but they are direct observations ..and it's worse to my perception and opinion. Much worse. Turning the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland into the "Nightmare before Christmas" was blasphemy but turning the whole Pirates of the Caribbean into an extension of a movie I enjoyed but didn't think was *THAT* good was just.....wrong. ..and so I observed on every headliner ride they had, in one form or another.

(We won't even start with the damn pin trading Disneyworld has turned into a booming business to soak those few bucks out of your pocket....everything else hadn't already ripped)

Indeed..as you show, perceptions vary. Dramatically at times.

new topics

top topics

join