It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Washington Redskins must change their offensive Name...

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
You want me to read what now....?

This has kept me going since yesterday, & today has been...unpleasant.
Thank you OP.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkrunner

Logic and reason mean little in the light of anonymity. It is much easier to express indignation over opposing views so long as we do not have to face those with whom we disagree. ATS used to be about discussion and learning, now it seems that the 'self important' views are taking over, in fact this may be exactly one of those posts. Me, bemoaning the state of ATS. Sigh.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

I think not only did you miss the point, you are at the wrong ballpark. The now most offensive part of the name of the 'Washington Redskins' is the Washington part. After what the government has done to this country, why would anyone want to connected to that governing body?

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
...../getting more popcorn MMMMMMM sooooooo tasty!

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

Well played, sir.

Also....AFC West ftw!!

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   

What is more offensive than Washington, right now? I agree it should be removed from the team name!

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Auricom

You do realize that this is a real story right? Just because the OP started a thread in a jokingly manner doesn't mean that the story itself is a joke.

Its a joke for preciely that reason. The fact that some feel that a privately owned sports team calling themselves Redskins is a tragedy, is laughable. They aren't doing it in a demeaning manner nor are they making fun of anyone. The die-hard fans actually worship their team (Illogically so).

Anyway, Tebow sucks and gets too much attention. Peyton Manning will do well most of the season but he's not going to turn water into wine or bring about the apocalypse. Denver will lose next Sunday and no team will finish the year off undefeated. That is all. Oh...and the NE Patriots suck balls.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Haha! Wow, I actually didn't mean to reply to you. I am not sure how I did that, but I was high at the time.. so that might have something to do with it. I digress.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Landover Redcoats...

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Threads are a funny thing...

You can never predict what the response might be.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

whyamIhere

Auricom
I hate overly PC crap. I think it hurts more than it helps. However, that doesn't change the fact that they have a point.

I for one like the name. I don't find it offensive, but I'm not Native Indian either.

I think these examples are unfortunate.

The New York Jews? Is that really a Team?

I can see that ending up in court...

Sarge, I can picture a consortium of judges
owning them... lox stock and bagels ROFL.
God I miss Olbermann: and I don't know why.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Oannes

booo yah excellent call amigo. the first actual meet in the middle fix.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ObservingTheWorld

Everyone got the joke.....and yes it was funny as hell.
However it turned to an actual real life conversation on the issue. How could someone possibly find that strange?

OH that's right they don't think it's a slur so they can't believe people aren't dismissing the issue completely....Now i get it.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I have to agree 100% the word "Washington" really pisses me off! I supppose it does the same thing to wanna-be NFL team owner, His Majesty the Lord of Death Obama! I mean really, if you think about it, who doesn't get nauseous or enraged when they hear the word Washington these days

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by artemisminion

Nope, not everyone did. Their stupidity and self righteousness flavors my popcorn.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   

artemisminion
Everyone got the joke.....and yes it was funny as hell.
However it turned to an actual real life conversation on the issue. How could someone possibly find that strange?
OH that's right they don't think it's a slur so they can't believe people aren't dismissing the issue completely....Now i get it.

I agree...it's classic passive-aggressive behavior in action. "Hey...can't you take a joke?" I keep thinking back to when it was acceptable to refer to Blacks in a similar derogatory manner and they were expected to play along and suck it up.

Even if only some of what are called "Native Americans" south of our border consider 'Redskins' to be a slur...well then its usage is worthy of a re-thinking. This ain't just PC...I know from PC.
edit on 17-10-2013 by JohnnyCanuck because: ...just because, eh?

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I disagree. I have no problem with the name "Redskins". I like the name. I also dislike "Chairperson", "Mail Person", etc., For crying out load, "Woman" has "man" in it. Should we call them "Wopersons"? Where does it stop? It's just a name!

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"
-William Shakespeare

edit on 2013-10-17 by Galileo400 because: Left our a word

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

So what if you're offended? Well boo-f-ing-hoo.

What does that mean? Nothing. Who cares? No one has stopped you from breathing, living your life. No one has physically assaulted you. You simply "feel" offended.

I find many things offensive - doesn't mean everyone else does or the world has to pander to my wishes.

Why do people make such a big deal about being "offended"?

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I swear....

You couldn't make this up.

This thread just keeps on giving.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Looks like you are typical politically correct modern American - spending your energy being affronted about trivia and being manipulated by the mass media while the U.S. collapses around you. This could only happen in a bored and overly fed country- congratulations-you are truly a deep thinker!

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join