It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Washington Redskins must change their offensive Name...

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   

XXX777
People that talk about race are racist because they place so much emphasis on racial characteristics. So we are all racist in one way or the other. Who cares?

The actual reason to talk about race is to divide people further. That is the type of dirty politics being played now. The chief divider is the biggest racist.

Chief divider is money. Bills. Paper. Paper. Paper. Paper. Paper. Paper.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Tatanka

fixer1967
reply to post by Tatanka

I do not see anything racist about this at all. I bet the person who started this is no more any Indian than my cat is. This is just some fool trying to start something to make them feel big. I hope they do not change their name. If they do then there will be a flood of stuff like this all over the place. I am quarter Cherokee and I could not care less about some football team calling its self redskins.

Well, like I said, some care, and some don't.... now here's someone that did.

Whew, he burns the Redskins at the end.

Yeah I never looked at it as a slur. There is no compromise with that I guess.

There used to be a baseball team called the Washington Senators...

We might be saying, "There used to be a team called Washington Redskins"...

At this point, might as well name the team Washington Redcoats!!

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Absolutely perfect. I'm gonna steal this one from you.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Im fine with their name. They can call themselves whatever they want.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Grimpachi
It simply amazes me that so many fell for it especially this far into the thread.

Either that or they just didn’t comprehend the meaning of the OP which IMO would be even worse.

You do realize that this is a real story right? Just because the OP started a thread in a jokingly manner doesn't mean that the story itself is a joke. I think some other people in this thread are having a hard time comprehending. Like comprehending that this is in fact a touchy matter for some which warrants discussion. After all, this thread was started in other current events. It's stupid to think people wouldn't discuss the actual story the OP poked fun at.

www.chicagotribune.com...

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

So I went to another thread and stared to read, and got to the end of the page. Anyway this post of yours has made me read things in a different light.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Sure would be nice if there was a click box next to user names that you could easily hit to never have to read a response from them again. Pathetic how many have commented without reading the original posting.

We now see the clear difference between the logical and emotional people.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 05:45 AM
link   
this thread is epic. i love it.

there is even some deep irony in the OP as many natives truly are more offended by the name "washington" than "redskin".

i wont go too far into it though without some well learned caution

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   
what about the cleveland indians?

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Wow the number of people that don't read a full post.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   

MALBOSIA
I think if the word redskin bothers you, then you must be hundreds of years old or maybe a little hyper-sensitive.

Do people get upset about the Yankees? It is a derogatory term given by the British.

The name you choose for your team is what shapes your identity and makes you appealing to fans. If you do not like their image then don't support the team.

A lot of people didn't like the Raiders image. for a while the stands were mostly full of gang members.

If the team has a bad image to most Americans it will hurt the club financially.

I personally find the name of the team a type of honor to natives. Yes they were called redskins ( along with many other words much worse than that) and they they were a worthy opponent. They are honored by being an intimidating banner that the team and their opponent respects.

Darnit!

I didn't read the whole OP... Ill go crawl under a rock now...

edit on 14-10-2013 by MALBOSIA because: (no reason given)

The term Redskin was termed by the Native Americans to discern, in their own language, between white, black and their own people. The naming was a term of endearment after the team moved by the owner to the Native American coach. Yes, he named it on behalf of a native American using their own tongue.

I find it funny that some (most native Americans find this argument dumb) Native Americans find the name offensive but has anyone looked at some of the mascots or team sports at reservation schools? Many themselves are named Redskins or some other native term.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Sorry, but this perpetual state of being offended just pisses me off.

You are weak individuals. You give power to others with your "offense". In reality, you aren't offended.

Society tells you that you should be though. Most of them are white people on a mission.

Here's a solution.

All high school, college and pro teams will just be referred to by city name. The Washington Football Team. The Atlanta Baseball Team. The Chicago Hockey Team. The Florida State College Football Team.

What about the Aneheim Angels? I'm an atheist and I find that offensive!

Just shut up already. You people make me sick with your false outrage.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   

edit on 16-10-2013 by ObservingTheWorld because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by rudeboyrave

But what is wrong with Cleveland? Yeah, it is in Ohio, but still.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
one of our local highschool teams are called the savages with a similar logo to the redskins.

i believe the schools biggest sponser is the choctaw nation

heres a few others (oklahoma):

Capitol Hill Redskins
Dustin Redskins
Kingston Redskins
McLoud Redskins
Rush Springs Redskins
Tulsa Union Redskins
LeFlore Savages
Quinton Savages
Tecumseh Savages
Wynnewood Savages
Broken Bow Savages

there was also a cherokee team called the "Redmen" but they changed it a few years ago.

edit on 16-10-2013 by LurkingRelentlessly because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Just change the name to the Washington Indians. Keep the logo, drop the offence. They could even bring back the throwback jersey (feather on the helmet). Everyone ends up happy.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
2nd

edit on 16-10-2013 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Oannes
Just change the name to the Washington Indians. Keep the logo, drop the offence. They could even bring back the throwback jersey (feather on the helmet). Everyone ends up happy.

It would be interesting to know how they actually picked that name for Washington. Seems kind of weird when you really think about it.

How about

Washington Pork bellies
Washington Deficits
Washington Presidents/Generals/Senators
Washington Strippers
Washington Cracks
Washington Georges

edit on 16-10-2013 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

None of those sound merely as good as "Washington Redskins".

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

ATS is full of the smartest people I have found anywhere on the net.

I absolutely agree.
The place has done a lot for me in the way of knowledge.

Washington Canadians.

edit on 16-10-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join