It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Washington Redskins must change their offensive Name...

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Not really a valid comparison really. Unless of course your screen name is bringing in boat loads of money like sports trademarks are.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

whyamIhere
That's right it is downright disgraceful they continue to use the name.

The name stands for everything bad about America.

I personally get offended ever single time I hear their name.

I almost get sick. I taste throw-up in my mouth just thinking about it.

Please change the name. I can't take it. It's beyond disrespectful.

You must drop that no good word "Washington" from your name.

Hail to the Redskins...

Very well said!

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Tarzan the apeman.
reply to post by whyamIhere

Were you trying to lay a trap or did you just get lucky? Either way I bow to your wit. I was 3 pages in and people are still thinking it is about Redskins.

edit on 15-10-2013 by Tarzan the apeman. because: (no reason given)

No, I wish I was that clever.

I thought the OP might amuse a few people.

I had know idea how amusing it would turn out to be.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   

You should get the "Thread of the Week" or Month award for this one!!

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Nothing matches up perfectly elsewhere.

Bottom line: these are words. Period.

Like i said...change the mascot to a potato, and call it a day.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Maybe they should change their mascot to a potato and nobody would be able to whine anymore. ALL HAIL THE RED SKIN POTATO !!!!!

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Allow me to attempt to put this to rest. I am indian (or native american, although we rarely use that term). I live in Oklahoma on indian land. i live in one of the most densely populated indian areas in the nation. i think this debate is ridiculous and so does everyone i speak with. i have yet to find 1 single person thats actually offended by this title. And if i do come across one it is because of their own ignorance to our culture.

the term "Red-skin" is not derogatory. It is an honorary title that we call our warrior class. Homa Hukshup loosely translated means RED - SKINNED.

the term for the generalization of native people in my tribes language (Chikasha) is a different term altogether, Hatuk Upi Homa which means RED-MAN. this is the only term that could possibly be considered derogatory. and i stress the word possibly, as typically amongst my people descriptions of appearance are not offensive.

when our people first saw white settlers we called them Pale-Face or tokbakali ishoka, this was because that was the best way to describe what they were seeing. its not meant to be offensive.

edit on 15-10-2013 by LurkingRelentlessly because: how many redskins could there possibly be in washington? got me too though well played.

edit on 15-10-2013 by LurkingRelentlessly because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by LurkingRelentlessly

This Round-eye would take no offense to the term Pale-Face.

If the name was truly offensive to Native's I would agree with changing their name.

Like you, I am not seeing the outrage from Native's.

Appreciate your contribution.

Add: I didn't have the heart to tell you bro...

edit on 15-10-2013 by whyamIhere because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by LurkingRelentlessly

My grandmother is Cherokee from the Oklahoma area (her grandmother died on the Trail of Tears). This is what she has said about it as well.

Thanks for your perspective.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Yep i got hauled into the net with the other ATS members,wanted to unload on this liberal cry baby. May i suggest
the" Capital Capons" as a fitting name.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by DCPatriot

Mmmm....rosemary potatoes!

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   

I am waiting for the day that every single word in the English language will offend someone! as communication keeps increasing, this might be so! the entire world's 7 billion will have to approve of any word that you use.

freestone

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   

MillionsOfPeaches

For one, Native Americans aren't "redskinned".

Why are politics getting involved in sports now? The NFL is promoting Obamacare. They have NFL commercials with Condoleezza Rice talking about how she woke up at 3AM in Israel to watch a Super Bowl because she is such a dedicated fan. And now this crap about changing the name of the Redskins...

Was it offensive 10 years ago? 20 years ago? How about 30 years ago? What about when they first gave them the name? Did they think it was offensive then? Did anyone? No, because if it was offensive then people would have said something about it, so, why is it offensive now? Let's go back to the reason why they gave that team their name.

From Wikipedia,

"The team moved to Fenway Park (home of the Boston Red Sox) the next year (1933), and Marshall changed the name to the "Redskins" apparently in honor of then-coach William Henry "Lone Star" Dietz, a Native American."

en.wikipedia.org...

So, the reason they gave the Redskins their name was in honor of a Native American who had played and coached football.

I think what matters is the intent of the name and why it was given to them.
Anyone could say the same thing about the Cleveland Indians; Indians are not Native Americans because Indians are from India.
Someone could say something about the Cleveland Browns too. I actually can't wait to hear someone say "The Browns can be referred to Hispanics, Latinos, or any other peoples with brown skin and therefore can be a racial slur."

Sports have no relevance to politics, so keep them away from each other.

You are strong in the fail. It makes me wonder how many of your posts are responding to just the title or a few sentences. Your feelings betray you.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
So Everything wrong with the native american community a NFL team name is a Major issue?

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by knightrider078

Did you read the OP? Seriously, this is better than a movie. /breaks out the popcorn

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   

whyamIhere

Hail to the Redskins...

Hail to Dan Snider as well for keeping the name. I am Native and I still can't figure out why my fellow Natives are offended by any mascots named after our peeps. Any time a sports team gives themselves a nickname, they want the name to represent strength and toughness, so when these nicknames were being chosen back in the day, it was more of an honor than to belittle. You don't see any Washington Daffodils or Washington Poodles. Oh well, the PC police have gone mad in the past ten to fifteen years, so why not the Natives as well.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   

whyamIhere

Hail to the Redskins...
Congratulations on shining an uncomfortable light on reactionary ATS members who post before they think. Even if it was just a lame gag.
edit on 15-10-2013 by IBelieveInAliens because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-10-2013 by IBelieveInAliens because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
It is downright disgusting how many people are willing to insult someone for no reason at all, can anyone even read a few sentences before replying to a post? Anyways i like the thread man, keep up the good work!

edit on 15-10-2013 by LordOfDestruction because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Clever OP. Washington anything must be banned for sure.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join