Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Washington Redskins must change their offensive Name...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   
The one thing I have noticed on ATS since I started reading is that there are a lot of members who have little respect for first nations people, and a lot of their posts are racist. Not sure how long I want to stick around here, I guess we'll see. I like a lot of the topics being discussed so that's why I joined up.

I'm used to racism, I've dealt with this all of my life.

Please tell me again, how calling some sports team redskins or a cartoon character is honoring. lol

I think that's all I should say now. Just know that a lot of us natives do not feel honored, and many of us do not care because we have bigger things to deal with life.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Tatanka

You are talking to me aren't you?

I said it...

I honestly don't mean any disrespect to the First Nation Peoples.

Honor....

Pocahontas Savages HD 720p
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiWocwb8bIQ
www.youtube.com...

Brave on the Warpath [Redskins beat Cowboys and win division]
www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUEg06KRmag
www.youtube.com...

Look, we have this rivalry thing with Cowboys and Indians. Its been that way for years. Can't change it...

Some of footballs best games have been between them two. When football was good...

For example: Type into google sarch box with autofill on: "Cowboy vs".
It will auto fill Redskins as top link.

The Indians need representation on the modern fields!! Like the Atlanta Braves...

UNITE: Cowboys-Redskins -- The Best Rivalry in Sports
www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaz5w-PCbyU
www.youtube.com...

AVENUE Q - 'Everybody's a Little Racist,' Broadway Cast
www.youtube.com/watch?v=RovF1zsDoeM
www.youtube.com...

I do see the error of my ways...
Pocahontas - Colors of the Wind (Disney Song)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvvZ1TEQRB8
www.youtube.com...
edit on 15-10-2013 by AbleEndangered because: arrangement

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I've just made a huge mistake. I tried thinking about this subject. Let me jot down a few quick thoughts.

We know "Redskins" is offensive because a relatively small number of people say it is. Why can't a large number of people claim the objectors are "over-sensitive?"

If the objection is to using cartoon characters or "derogatory" names, Is everyone fine if the Cleveland Indians start using the Redskins logo?

If some people find a word offensive, does that mean we have to stop using it? Why? Manners? Then how to people continue using "Teabaggers" to refer to Tea Party members? Why do Democrats call Republicans, "Extortionists, suicide bombers, arsonists, traitors, etc?" Surely those are all offensive. but nobody stops using them.

Why is it all right to call some a Homophobe, when there are very few people actually afraid of gays, and the word, technically, means being afraid of the same thing. (I suppose that means that progressives, who want to change things, are homophobes.) See how silly this gets?

Why can't I be called a "Native American?" After all, I was born here. That's what Native means, isn't it?

And First Nations? That's primarily Canadian. Current thought is that a nation has to have a certain territory, borders, that sort of thing. That's one thing the (whatever they're called) certainly didn't have, at least in the US.

Are the "Fighting Irish" not sensitive enough to the indignity that Notre Dame is putting them through?

And what about other college names like the Fighting Scots, Crusaders, Vikings, Tejanos, Saxons, Sweedes, Deacons, Braves, Aztecs, Matadors, Red Men, Dutch, Patriots, Hustlin' Quakers, Saints, Fighting Illini, Preachers, Ragin' Cajuns, and oh, so many more. I can guarantee I could make a case for all of them being offensive.

I don't know. I'm torn between ignoring people who are offended and letting them settle their own issues, and buying a Cleveland cap. (I know, that's mean and possibly offensive, but consider all the people ATSers love who are offensive. George Carlin, anyone? And I dare you to pick any two threads here and not find something offensive.)

P.s. I just noticed the title. "Washington Redskins Must Change Their Offensive Name." Why in the world must they? It's their choice isn't it? There's no law requiring them to, and I hope there never is. And what is meant by "offensive name?" A name that offends somebody? A name that offends 2% of the population? Do we need 10%? 20%? What?
edit on 15-10-2013 by charles1952 because: Add P.s.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Check it out:

Let's say we remove all references to Native Culture from our Culture "to spare them the offense".

What happens?
Now they will say it's evil to erase reminders of their history.
Shouldn't we celebrate them as part of American History too they will ask???

People who want to complain about pointless things will complain no matter what you try to fix for them.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 03:47 AM
link   
This really does show how little attention people pay on ATS.

And OP, where does your hatred of George Washington come from?

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

I disagree.

It's not what you say it's the way you say it.

What word would you like me to use to describe your skin/family-history?

It doesn't matter what your reply is, eventually someone will come up with a way of making whatever you're personally comfortable with sound derogatory to someone else, who'd then write a post like this demanding a change in disgust.

We need to teach people not to be offended by adjectives.

"He has red skin" could be the innocent comment from a child to describe what they see or it could be said with the fear and insecurity of discrimination, it could even be expressed delight from awe & appreciation

Your post implies it can only ever be used negativiely, which is wrong.

Negro means black, gay means happy, dwarf means short... Yeah, I could call you a black, gay, dwarf and you might go on a rampage complaining about it, but if I happened to love having sex with vertically-challenged, Afro-Caribbean guys and was just trying to describe who I wanted to have sex with (something I'm hoping they'd see as a positive) - surely that's the complete opposite of discrimination and should (hopefully) bring joy, rather than pain?

Change you, and be proud that the Red Skins chose to honour people who an adjective applies to.

edit on 15-10-2013 by Beavers because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 05:38 AM
link   

khimbar
This really does show how little attention people pay on ATS.

And OP, where does your hatred of George Washington come from?

He probably just meant Washington DC in the general political sense.
As in the phrase " Inside the Beltway ".

That's just what I estimate from context clues.

He may also mean G Washington additionally, but the 'Beltway' is probably the primary target for the punchline.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Funny thread. Really

USA declared independence from the British but still uses their language its offensive and should be banned.
(and no I'm not a British subject.)

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Great post OP. My first thought was "Oh great. Here we go". Then I read the entire post and love it!

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Man, you got me so good I think I have whiplash or threw out my back or something! I lol'ed in the office!

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
LMAO!

This thread has examples of everything that's wrong with the world.

From short attention spans, to overly PC tripe, to cultural insensitivity, to obsession with totally unimportant distractions meant to focus our collective power and energy into something harmless and non-threatening to the PTB.

There, I just added some conspiracy woo, enjoy!

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Oh man that is funny. I don't recall reading something that tricked me like that for a long time.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Lemme tell ya somethin! I was reading and getting slightly red about your dramatics. Puke in mouth etc. Formulating a quick and deadly response. Then I got to the end.

ATS.... Come for the conspiracies stay for the witty repartee.

Well played.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by AbleEndangered

Actually no, I was not talking to you. But I am very used to people saying "we're just honoring you". You would not believe how often it is said. The thing is, no, I don't feel honored, when it comes to some things. I don't have any rivalry going with cowboys. My uncle is a cowboy and works on a ranch. There are a lot of natives who are ranch workers. lol So that whole old, cowboy vs indian is just silly, I think.

It's all about respecting someone and their culture. Some people get it, others do not. I cannot waste my time trying to get people to understand this. I learned long ago that it's fighting a losing battle. As I said in my other post, some just do not care at all, because we have other things to worry about. Some people who are bothered by it, just keep their head down and go on, especially our old ones, because they grew up in such racism they are used to it and just keep quiet. I guarantee you though, many of our old ones feel offended and not honored. It will depend on who you talk to. There are many great youtube videos of elders, some have recently died, talking about these issues.

First nations people are real, we exist, and we still struggle. We are not a fashion trend, we are not cartoons, we are not for people to use as costumes, we are not mascots. We work, we have our culture, our people, our ways, and our spiritual beliefs just like anyone else does in the world.

Peace -

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   

whyamIhere
That's right it is downright disgraceful they continue to use the name.

The name stands for everything bad about America.

I personally get offended ever single time I hear their name.

I almost get sick. I taste throw-up in my mouth just thinking about it.

Please change the name. I can't take it. It's beyond disrespectful.

You must drop that no good word "Washington" from your name.

Hail to the Redskins...

LOL. Had me going there...

Oh, and "lighten up Francis..."

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   

whyamIhere

Hail to the Redskins...

Since you care about something that doesnt really matter ..

Then I demand Obama use one of his many names .. Because I find his 'name' to be offensive and Much like OBL. Lets not forget hes a [fake] President with a name not of American Origin.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Washington Redskins Change Their Name

WASHINGTON—Following an outpouring of criticism from across the country, the Washington Redskins announced Wednesday that they are officially changing the team’s name to the D.C. Redskins. “We’ve heard the concerns of many people who have been hurt or offended by the team’s previous name, and I’m happy to say we’ve now rectified the situation once and for all,” said franchise owner Dan Snyder, adding that “Washington Redskins” will be replaced with “D.C. Redskins” on all team logos, uniforms, and apparel. “It was a difficult decision—and one that, frankly, I’m a little embarrassed took me so long to make. So hopefully we can now put this issue to bed and start cheering on our D.C. Redskins.” In light of Snyder’s decision, Cleveland Indians owner Larry Dolan told reporters he will change the feather in Chief Wahoo’s headdress from red to a “more appropriate” shade of red.

name change

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Nvm
edit on 15-10-2013 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

whyamIhere

Hail to the Redskins...

I call that trolling. A people have a right to self-identify, and the right to take offence at what they considers to be derogatory. I was once taken to task on ATS by a self-proclaimed Redneck, for having used the term in a negative way. To paraphrase, he said "I'm a Redneck...that doesn't mean I'm stupid or racist...and I am offended by any inference that I am." Readers will note that I no longer bandy that word around. Similarly, I 'got told' by my mother, who has traveled even more widely in the U.S. than me, that the phrase "Trailer trash" was unacceptable, as for many, purchase of a mobile home is a big step up in the process of home ownership and social mobility. Wise words. I listened.

Thing is, words have weight. Those who are affected by such have a right to express themselves without their arguments being reduced to mere 'political correctness'. There's a difference, and let's not pretend there isn't. Obviously, use of the name "Redskins" has hit its best-before date...just like the Negro Leagues did. Time to move on. It's no longer a matter of ignorance, 'cuz you've been told and “A gentleman never gives offence intentionally”.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Tatanka
The one thing I have noticed on ATS since I started reading is that there are a lot of members who have little respect for first nations people, and a lot of their posts are racist. Not sure how long I want to stick around here, I guess we'll see. I like a lot of the topics being discussed so that's why I joined up.

I'm used to racism, I've dealt with this all of my life.

Please tell me again, how calling some sports team redskins or a cartoon character is honoring. lol

I think that's all I should say now. Just know that a lot of us natives do not feel honored, and many of us do not care because we have bigger things to deal with life.

Why should one be respected just based on what ethnic group they belong to?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join