It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FORBES: Obama hints Social Security shutdown Oct 19, 2013

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Thorneblood
Finally, and i mean this with all seriousness, why exactly should i care that a bunch of old people don't get their social security checks? The republicans and democrats certainly don't.

If "a bunch of old people" don't get their checks, you'll probably find out soon after why you should care.

edit on 14-10-2013 by Junkheap because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

jimmyx
tell that to the thousands of dealership businesses and the tens of thousands of workers employed at them...tell that to the hundreds of auto parts suppliers spread out among several of our states and their employees...to you that was wasteful spending, to them, it put food on their tables, and paid the bills.

Are you talking about the dealerships that were forced to hand over their businesses to their competitors that voted for Obama? What about all the dealerships that were forced closed because they didn't support the king? I guess they don't count, do they? Only the owners who sit high and mighty up the king's a** get to stay in business.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
We might have a few more days of operations if his wife did not take herself to Spain with 300 of her closest friends on privet planes for a week long shopping spree.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I forsee a lot of unhappy old people who will do really nasty things when they stop getting their checks. A lot of old people I know still have guns. You take food from their mouths, fortunately many know how to still obtain food the old fashion way, but I'm guessing many don't and they might go right to what they know to do in order to survive. Wonder how many WWII vets and VietNam vets are on SS right now? (hint hint) What do ya think they're going to do. They've already been to war. They aint scaaaared. They have more balls than most people half their age today. You just haven't pissed them off enough, yet. It's getting close now, though.

If SS checks stop, you can bet there will be hell to pay.

I swear it seems like someone wants a riot, wants chaos to take place, wants looting and ruthless actions to happen.

Funny... You normally see this stuff in other countries. Wonder why it's all of a sudden looking to happen here? This gets my conspiracy bone tingling and itching bad. The chickens came home to roost.

edit on 14-10-2013 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
It is so wrong to blame just one party. Again - it is a distraction. It takes more than one side to create conflict. When it comes to picking sides it takes away from the big picture. Why is this happening? What is the conflict? One conflict is one side is tired of wasteful spending and the other finds nothing wasteful about it. No one will "give" and inch. Who started the stubbornness? I'm not sure but look there. Who is trying to negotiate (if anyone)?

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I don’t want to scare anybody

My friend’s wife works at Social Security in New York City

They just got a memo that after the 17th folks won’t get their checks.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Willtell

If this happens, this president needs to be impeached! There is enough tax revenue coming in to fund Social Security AND make all the interest payments on debt.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   

SourGrapes

Willtell

If this happens, this president needs to be impeached! There is enough tax revenue coming in to fund Social Security AND make all the interest payments on debt.

Its not about money. It is about power and Obama likes to hold things hostage until he gets his way (or more accurately George Soros' and Valerie Jarrett's way). Incompetent and unqualified at best and a radical leftist at worse, we have one of the worst Presidents ever.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I am not at all surprised! Personally I think it is blatantly WRONG to threaten our seniors by withholding THEIR OWN MONEY!!!!!!

(insert crude insult)

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by SourGrapes

Look I hope its wrong but he just called me. This along with what the news said is not good.

Of course all have responsibility in any crises of governing but in this case it is clear the fanatics from the right have propelled this impasse. Its always the new energy and the only new energy in this case is the Tea party and GOP who has enabled them.

These so called moderate GOP have gambled that and hoped that their crazies could get them what they want. The dems held out this time and now the cats out the bag and no one easily can kill the cat

I think anyone who doesn’t see that aint looking.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Jusvistn

The GOP started this by doing the shutdown. The president of course has liability but he didn't start it.

He has to follow the law. You know if he varies from the law the GOP crazies will be crying IMPEACH HIM.

Just the facts mam!
edit on 14-10-2013 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

butcherguy

jimmyx

butcherguy

jimmyx
right!!...this is Obamas fault (rolls eyes)...the rest of America is finally waking up to the fact that the republicans in congress are willing to bring this country down, just so it happens during the first black democratic president's term in office. NAME 1 PIECE OF MAJOR LEGISLATION THAT HAS HELPED THE AVERAGE AMERICAN, passed by the republicans since 2010? ...the republicans in congress are actively working to undermine this economy. don't trust what I say, just look at their votes in the congressional record.

You are in a dream world.

The Democrats don't give a poo about you or anyone else that can be counted among the 'common people'.

here's the list of the bills that got through just from 2008 to 2010, before the Obama haters got control of the house:
www.ofdw.org...

Yep.... really helped the economy too. The serfs depend on either a good economy... or a good nanny state to get along in life.

HOW MANY BUDGETS DID YOUR HEROES PASS DURING THOSE YEARS? WHO WAS STANDING IN THEIR WAY?

Seeing how the debt has been going down it's obviously done some good for the economy. Look at the debt clock Federal spending is going down and has been for a while.

US Debt Clock

Budgets were passed in 09, 11, and 12.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   

camaro68ss
We might have a few more days of operations if his wife did not take herself to Spain with 300 of her closest friends on privet planes for a week long shopping spree.

They pay for that themselves.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I am paying almost 10k a year into this sham of a program that is basically turning into a government bail out, there are millions paying into this weekly, where the hell is this money going? Why can't these politicians keep their grubby hands of off our money.

These clowns ain't working for us, they working for themselves, making sure they are paid, this ain't for the people, we are dead last in the plans of thus country, somewhere we got turned into a revenue source for the elite.
edit on 14-10-2013 by Tazkven because: Jager bombs make me type funny

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
That was my contention all along - the shutdown was an excuse to sink Social Security as those who receive it are the least able to fight it. It's also the largest share in debt/expenditure and would go far towards balancing any future budget.
Once the dagger is sunk an agreement to restart the government will miraculously occur. They will even have the gall to continue the program promising to never again use the money in the general funds.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Jimmy you have swallowed it hook, line, and sinker. Rule #1 to understanding politics: never mistake a bought vote for well-meaning legislation.

Question the value of programs like cash for clunkers, and find out what affect they actually have. Often, the "unintended consequences" are not unforeseen consequences. Still more often, the stated intentions never come to fruition.

Incidentally, Obamacare would be a perfect case study for you.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

buster2010

camaro68ss

They pay for that themselves.

Yes and no. They are supposed to pay for their own food and lodging. The taxpayer pays for the aircraft, fuel, maintenance, food, lodging, and paychecks for dozens of SS agents, vehicles, and everything else that the security entails.

The Obamas may have paid for some meals, but the taxpayer always foots the majority of the cost of such trips.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

buster2010

butcherguy

jimmyx

butcherguy

jimmyx
right!!...this is Obamas fault (rolls eyes)...the rest of America is finally waking up to the fact that the republicans in congress are willing to bring this country down, just so it happens during the first black democratic president's term in office. NAME 1 PIECE OF MAJOR LEGISLATION THAT HAS HELPED THE AVERAGE AMERICAN, passed by the republicans since 2010? ...the republicans in congress are actively working to undermine this economy. don't trust what I say, just look at their votes in the congressional record.

You are in a dream world.

The Democrats don't give a poo about you or anyone else that can be counted among the 'common people'.

here's the list of the bills that got through just from 2008 to 2010, before the Obama haters got control of the house:
www.ofdw.org...

Yep.... really helped the economy too. The serfs depend on either a good economy... or a good nanny state to get along in life.

HOW MANY BUDGETS DID YOUR HEROES PASS DURING THOSE YEARS? WHO WAS STANDING IN THEIR WAY?

Seeing how the debt has been going down it's obviously done some good for the economy. Look at the debt clock Federal spending is going down and has been for a while.

US Debt Clock

Budgets were passed in 09, 11, and 12.

What are you taking about. Your own link shows the debt steadily RISING, not going down.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
The fact they are even down to discussing such things represents so profound a failure in leadership at all levels, and yes, from the TOP down, that it's hard to even know where to start with words.

These pea brained fools are still stuck on the issues of the hour and moment to feed the 24/hr news cycle, while we're watching them bungle the hell out of events our future generations will read about on long timelines.

I guess this is how great calamity of the past has happened where I've wondered 'how could they have let it happen??'. One day at a time and a total loss to ego. That seems to be how...and it take's 'em all to make it work this well.

If Social Sec is interrupted....rent payments come into play. As one ATS member reminded us all recently, being late by a couple days can, for some, mean you're out the door. (A government housing situation..of all things for that one). Not all Landlords would refrain from pushing that, and for a lot of reasons, even if it were the law saying they couldn't exploit this....and no such law exists.

The crackling sounds at the end of the month will be breaking backs scattered around the nation as ends simply don't meet by grade school math ....if they don't get their crap together AND START WORKING FOR A LIVING! ! !

(Sorry about that last part... That needed to get out.
)

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   

NavyDoc

SourGrapes

Willtell

Its not about money. It is about power and Obama likes to hold things hostage until he gets his way (or more accurately George Soros' and Valerie Jarrett's way). Incompetent and unqualified at best and a radical leftist at worse, we have one of the worst Presidents ever.

Wait wait wait...

If I'm not mistaken it was the Tea Party people and the GOP that initiated this entire thing in the first place. Turning around and putting the blame on Obama is like farting and pointing at the dog.

The Republicans act like Obama is MAKING them shut down and keep the government shut down. Again that would be like the GOP raping someone, and then saying, "Well it's THEIR fault, they shouldn't have dressed so skimpy and had a few drinks!"

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join