It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FORBES: Obama hints Social Security shutdown Oct 19, 2013

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
www.forbes.com...

Obama says that if the debt ceiling isn't raised by Oct 19, social security payments will halt. Obviously he's blaming it 'on someone else' as usual.

They could still go out, but Obama's plan is to tap Social Security if the ceiling's doesnt raise. Afterall, the ship's going down and captain doesn't want to jump ship without some loot!

^Crappy video, I know. But for now its all I can find where there's hinting at using People's social security as a bribe for the Reps to maybe raise the ceiling alittle. Some pres!

These halts in government, EBT, social security, and likely next, medicare/medicaid, are tests on the people, before they are soon cut off permanently.

Amerika is forked!

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
*Obama*, the king whom spent more than all other presidents combined, will use all at his disposal to get the credit card limit raised. He, along with his wonderful senate has not passed 1 single budget. Where are all of the TARP funds? that was on the card along with everything else. I am not the republicans biggest fan, but ALL they are asking is budget this stuff, Reid and the king want to spend into the abyss, then scan for someone to blame. one lousy human using scare tactics and lies...wait, is that how they........
edit on Mon Oct 14 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
This is a great opportunity to remind everyone to have a backups of food and water. If you are unfortunate enough to live in a city or urban-type area you may want to have protection from looters as well. We've probably all seen the video and pictures of what happens at Wal-Mart when welfare glitches. It isn't going to be pretty.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
right!!...this is Obamas fault (rolls eyes)...the rest of America is finally waking up to the fact that the republicans in congress are willing to bring this country down, just so it happens during the first black democratic president's term in office. NAME 1 PIECE OF MAJOR LEGISLATION THAT HAS HELPED THE AVERAGE AMERICAN, passed by the republicans since 2010? ...the republicans in congress are actively working to undermine this economy. don't trust what I say, just look at their votes in the congressional record.

+6 more 
posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

jimmyx
right!!...this is Obamas fault (rolls eyes)...the rest of America is finally waking up to the fact that the republicans in congress are willing to bring this country down, just so it happens during the first black democratic president's term in office. NAME 1 PIECE OF MAJOR LEGISLATION THAT HAS HELPED THE AVERAGE AMERICAN, passed by the republicans since 2010? ...the republicans in congress are actively working to undermine this economy. don't trust what I say, just look at their votes in the congressional record.

You are in a dream world.

The Democrats don't give a poo about you or anyone else that can be counted among the 'common people'.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Social security has been BROKE for a very long time. They keep writing IOU's and borrowing money to pay for the service. It's already bloated and ridiculous.

Nobody wants to actually put the things that cost money on the table, entitlement spending and defense.

This shutdown will end on Wednesday at Midnight, just seconds before the default takes place.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Shouldn't that be Politicians don't give a # about you or anyone else? Seems short sighted to just point the finger at one political party doesn't it?

Finally, and i mean this with all seriousness, why exactly should i care that a bunch of old people don't get their social security checks? The republicans and democrats certainly don't.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   

butcherguy

jimmyx

The Democrats don't give a poo about you or anyone else that can be counted among the 'common people'.

here's the list of the bills that got through just from 2008 to 2010, before the Obama haters got control of the house:
www.ofdw.org...

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Name one that has been passed by the democrats.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Read your list of stupid wasteful spending, cash for clunkers indeed.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
More posturing...

I recently had to "physically" go into a Social security office to get a "physical" copy of my SS card for use on a passport.

The office was an EXPERIENCE (South Texas) when I tell you that it was FULL of 20-40 year old females with kids and 20-40 year old males with "bad backs..."

Dear God.A few actually asked me to "help them" with some forms that were in English...not going there but I didn't quite know how to feel.

I was called to the counter and the person working was very polite and seemed "shocked" when I explained I simply needed a new "physical" card...she was relieved I think?

The SS system is "broken" beyond belief IMHO if this office was any example.Those of us who have "paid into it" for years like myself who was dumb-founded after the visit have no clue for the most part about where the "benefits" go.

I do now.It ALL needs to break, come tumbling down, be allowed to find a fresh level of how it might work again...the way it is simply represents a LOT that is "wrong."
edit on 14-10-2013 by irishchic because: spelling

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Thorneblood

Shouldn't that be Politicians don't give a # about you or anyone else? Seems short sighted to just point the finger at one political party doesn't it?

Finally, and i mean this with all seriousness, why exactly should i care that a bunch of old people don't get their social security checks? The republicans and democrats certainly don't.

not at all...ATS is packed every day with thread after thread bashing Obama...from being Kenyan to being an Islamic terrorist, but you call me shortsided?? I have looked into dozens of topics on this site that come out and made claims about the terrible things Obama has done, only to find out that they have been skewed, edited, taken out of context, or they are just a flat-out lie.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Told my wife a couple months ago, when I finally got the news that the fight I had been fighting for 8 years was finally won (I was finally "approved" for disability due to blindness), that it figures the first month I end up getting it would be my last before the country falls apart.

It's just my luck.

Sorry guys. I broke the system. My bad.

Yes, Social Security has problems. Yes, there are people on it that don't deserve to be or NEED to be (I know a few myself).

BUT... there are those people that DO need it and that SURVIVE because of it. I am serious here. My family can now survive because we FINALLY got my approval. This means I don't have to see my kids starve and we actually get to keep the place we are living in.

For once, it felt good to know we would not have to struggle just to survive.

Then, all of this political crap began and I am now being threatened that I will be in an even worse position than I was before 2 months ago when I found out I was approved. I am threatened to have it all fall apart. My mom is, as well.

What am I being threatened for? What the hell can I or my mom do about this situation, Mr Obama? What can the millions of others that DO deserve to have what we paid for do about it all?

YOU guys are the ones in control of it all, right?
edit on 14-10-2013 by Jomina because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Thorneblood

Check out my posts.....

I have repeatedly stated that neither of the big two political parties in the US care about the serfs.

I was simply pointing out the shortsightedness of jimmyx in constantly calling the Republicans out when his precious Democrats are no different.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Jomina

NOT laughing at your situation, so sorry for the troubles but you made me LOL on a gloomy day

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   

abe froman
reply to post by jimmyx

Read your list of stupid wasteful spending, cash for clunkers indeed.

tell that to the thousands of dealership businesses and the tens of thousands of workers employed at them...tell that to the hundreds of auto parts suppliers spread out among several of our states and their employees...to you that was wasteful spending, to them, it put food on their tables, and paid the bills.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   

jimmyx

butcherguy

jimmyx

here's the list of the bills that got through just from 2008 to 2010, before the Obama haters got control of the house:
www.ofdw.org...

Yep.... really helped the economy too. The serfs depend on either a good economy... or a good nanny state to get along in life.

HOW MANY BUDGETS DID YOUR HEROES PASS DURING THOSE YEARS? WHO WAS STANDING IN THEIR WAY?

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   

irishchic
reply to post by Jomina

NOT laughing at your situation, so sorry for the troubles but you made me LOL on a gloomy day

lol honestly I am too. It's just such a crap shoot situation at this point that that is ALL I can do lol

I just don't get the threats with it all. What can we do about it? Put pressure on the Repubs to give in?

But didn't they give in and Obama refused their deal? I mean WTH man? He got his freaking way and is STILL being a petty Mister Stompy Feet over it all.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Thorneblood

Jesus.....so sick of republicans this or democrats that. They are all scumbags. When was the last time one of them worried about whether to get diapers or $20 worth of gas. Out of touch. I will never vote again. Either way I'm voting for a liar. Screw them. I am going fishing. Have a blessed day.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Both Democrats and Republicans are behind this as well as the President. I call them all Idiocrats and are running our Idiocracy into the ground. Remember this - Congress, the Senate and the President will be paid in spite of the government shutdown.

I haven't found any corroborating evidence yet, but I think that if Obama doesn't get his debt ceiling raised, Obama care would come to a standstill. I know it was funded, but I believe the funds have topped out and more is needed to continue through 2014. I can think of no other reason Reid and Pellosi won't even consider anything the republicans have come up with. Obama wants an "open ended" debt ceiling and sadly, he'll probably get it.

Someone isn't telling us something. My hopes is that it will seriously bite them all in the butt, but sadly, the American people will be on the receiving end of this as always.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join