It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EBT benefit card glitch sparks Walmart shopping sprees in Louisiana

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   

AfterInfinity
reply to post by StallionDuck

You used this opportunity to draw a red circle around those who are receiving welfare. I see your challenge and raise you one: it's the human race. If presented with the opportunity, anyone will do what these people did. Hell, they did it during Hurricane Katrina. Given how difficult it is to get ahead in this game, not to mention stay ahead, people will seize every chance they can get.

You act like you're surprised that people would do this sort of thing. Um, hello? Morality is an illusion. If presented with a cause and an opportunity, we will act like the animals from which we evolved. Civility, as an illusion, is only as effective as its ratio. If more people are uncivilized than civilized, say good bye to society.
edit on 14-10-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

I did nothing of the sort. I even stated in my OP that I didn't believe this was the same for all people on welfare. If I were to paint a circle, I think I would have pointed more towards culture than status, but I've done neither.

If I can be a moral person when such things are laid at my feet, then I know many like me are in this world, which means, that if you feel that this is normal for the human race, you could very well be one of those that would jump at the chance to steal if no one was looking.

See, that's the difference between you and me. I see good in people where they would pass up such chances and I dont understand why others do otherwise. You see people jumping at any chance because it's human nature. I very much dissagree. I must not have that animal instinct. I'm very certain many people would agree with me on this.

But, I will say that based on your response, you perhaps have me leaning more towards seeing a division between naturaly good and naturaly evil people existing in our world.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Ladies and gentleman .. I give you: The Obama Base
edit on 15-10-2013 by LeoStarchild because: typo

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Thorneblood
reply to post by Isittruee

Wouldn't sending them to jail for stealing tax payer dollars just cost more tax payer dollars?

While we are at it why don't we jail the real crooks, congressman, they steel from us everyday and call it legal.

The Bot

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

in our part of the country, many sell their food stamps for cash to buy drugs, 50cents on the dollar.
so how much crack can you get for an unlimited card?

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
For those that are faulting Walmart for allowing EBT users to complete their transactions while the card system was down ... perhaps this was a decision made to keep crowds of anxious and angry people under control, rather than flash mob robbing and trashing the store in panic? Were the stores that allowed this in not so pleasant areas where this may have been a real threat?

You can't blame Walmart for greedy people stocking carts of stuff they cannot pay for ... each person is responsible for themselves. Better to have an orderly line of thieves at the checkout and write off some losses than have a mob ransacking the place.
edit on 15-10-2013 by eeyipes because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
As a taxpayer i say that it is theft. they know how much they should get if they over spend make them pay it back. If they cant pay it back then garnish them until its paid off. like i said they know how much they should get. i bet they do make them pay it back or take it out of there next one

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
It's theft and they knew what they were doing but lawyer dogs will try to make theem look like victums. They will have to pay back the money

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   

kismetpair927

probably just making sure people can stock up before funding is G-O-N-E gone. My husband is ex-military and we got paid the day AFTER the shut down; we think it's because there will be NO MORE money after this.

Hey I totally agree. Ish is about to hit the fan. Everyone should stock up.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Animals. Ever single one of them.

They should be charged with theft, and everything over their allotted monthly amount should be removed from their future give'me items.

This is what happens when people are given something for nothing.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   

It truly is amazing how worked up people get when individuals take advantage but the gov is taking our money on a massive scale! I'm not saying it was ok for people to abuse the system, but isn't that the mentality our gov demonstrates? Whatever the total amount overdrawn was, it's not even a drop in the bucket compared to what the gov has done and continues to do. Our very way of life breeds this kind of behavior. To expect anything else is completely naive IMO.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

macman

Animals. Ever single one of them.

They should be charged with theft, and everything over their allotted monthly amount should be removed from their future give'me items.

This is what happens when people are given something for nothing.

Not animals... Animals live in balance with nature and their surroundings. Like Smith said in The Matrix... It's like a virus.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Thorneblood
reply to post by Isittruee

Wouldn't sending them to jail for stealing tax payer dollars just cost more tax payer dollars?

EVERYBODY WHO GOES TO JAIL COSTS TAXPAYER DOLLARS!! Are you saying we should stop sending ALL lawbreakers to jail because it costs taxpayer money to do so?

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Yup they will take the money back. They also have a so many counts you're out policy although I think its some retarded number like 6. If you screw them over or don't report income etc... so many times you can't get EBT anymore. You know I do question the timing of this spending spree. You don't hear about this everyday... Just so happens to coincide with a government shutdown. Heck I cannot recall the last time EBT started handing out free money.

I wouldn't have taken it. Just me I guess. Maybe I'm better then these filthy scurrying cockroaches.

It's really hard to be positive when you see trash like this steal your tax dollars right in front of your face.

I have been known to literally take pennies someone left by accident in my vehicle and walk half a block to return them. My friend was like serious? I was like yup its not mine so I don't want it. Am I the only one who doesn't steal on this planet?
edit on 15-10-2013 by Pimpintology because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Take away the debt limit and low info voters go crazy.
Sounds like Obama's administration now don't it?

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 03:49 AM
link   

StallionDuck
So what do you guys think? Do you think the government did this to raise some approval ratings? Do you think this was done on purpose or just an oversight?

Do you think these people will have to pay it back? Should they?

Is this theft or justified because they're poor and on welfare?

As a taxpayer, what do think and how do you feel about this?

They were doing system upgrades (likely preparing for it to be shut down like the other thread brought up) and it was a glitch. This wouldn't raise approval ratings anyways.

As both a tax payer and food stamp recipient I don't see it as theft, but at the same time I feel they should have to pay it back, in the form of reduced food stamps until the value of their purchase is paid off. Personally, I feel they don't give people on food stamps enough aid but that discussion is neither here no there. People get what they get and if a glitch lets them go above that, they should pay it back.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 04:35 AM
link   

"The EBT card holders just walked away, probably miffed that they missed out on the chance to participate in the felony theft of groceries."

*facepalm*

They were buying food...

Anyway, as far as the story is concerned, it is possible that these people are going to have negative balances on their EBT cards now, which means that it could take a few months for them to fill back up. I think people should be allowed to return their groceries...

Let's see... this whole mob mentality could have easily been fueled by the fact that people are worried they won't get food next month.
edit on 16-10-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

One last thing, the feeling of being able to earn your own way in life is worth the work it takes -

I have had to have government assistance before, and hated it, but it was necessary.
edit on 16-10-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 04:41 AM
link   
I think when life gives you Lemons you make lemonade!

When life offers up a free meal on a plate you dam well take it, sharpish!

Hopefully some of the most vulnerable members of the U.S populace had a good feed if only for a few days!

Bump them silly while you can people, for anything and everything! Its not like they don't do it to you on a daily basis!
LoL

Hopefully some wee semi homeless dude got himself a few 60" LED TVs.

edit on 16-10-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   
The people that helped themselves are fraudulent leeches and must be made to pay it back..

There's no excuse, they know what they normally get so adding 3 LCD TV's to the trolley is simply looting..

You ask these people to work and they say they can't but suddenly find the strength to take 3 trolleys of shopping out of the supermarket and into their SUV.

Simply criminals who exploit the system to the max...

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

So its all good fun that the tax payer gets ripped off?

Yes people will take a free meal but that's a lot different than deliberately loading up your trolley with items you know would not normally get paid for on the card due to the value.

That is simply being a thief...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join