It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EBT benefit card glitch sparks Walmart shopping sprees in Louisiana

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
What a reflection of society, no wonder our govt does the things it does, it knows us all too well.
Politicians are corrupt, vast majority of the population is corrupt at the core as well. Opportunistic greed, F YEAH MERICUUUUUH!

No Shame these days, that's an ancient concept that no longer serves us.

Of course I didn't earn it, but I deserve it. That the consensus, no?

Hah. Maybe we should just default. F it.

In all likeliness just another Divide and Conquer tactics, to upset the rest of America.

Buying LCD tvs when it suppose to be used for Food... hah.

Is everyone in charge that stupid and incompetent? Nah, this has to all be part of a plan.

They've been studying us for quite some time now, never forget that.
edit on 14-10-2013 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Thorneblood

I'm going against your obtuse logic.

Thorneblood
So Politicians steal billions (if not Trillions) and it's all good, even necessary. It's for America!

That's akin to saying, "Why care if someone gets shot and killed in cold blood? Cops kill all the time.".

Thorneblood
Are we maybe vilifying the wrong people here?

Nope, we're vilifying the exact same kind of people who currently hold office and various offices of our government. The kind that will gladly steal from tax payers. And the only way to solve this problem, is to cut them off cold turkey. No more EBT cards for abusers and sure as h*ll no more tax money for politicians!

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
My opinion is this force them to work for their benefits. Its happening in the UK. Then they wont feel so entitled to steal.

For sorry for America that you have such " thoughtless" and selfish people. And yes there were TV's and electrical appliances in their trolleys which they knew they couldn't afford!
edit on 14-10-2013 by FreedomEntered because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
This is stealing, no more, no less.

every single person that took part in this heist (yes, that's how I think of it) should have their EBT's revoked, and should be forced to work for the state to pay the tax payers back. Then a system in which they must work for their EBT's should be installed.

Anyone that doesn't think of this as stealing is delusional at best.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Auricom

Nice dream, never gonna happen tho. Bullets before ballots...that's the way to level the playing field.

Anyway....looks like Xerox is on the hook for all this...as long as the process was followed.

Market Watch - WSJ

Xerox XRX said in an emailed statement there’s an “agreed and documented process for retailers like Walmart to follow in response to EBT outage.” It said as long as that process was followed, Xerox will reimburse Walmart and other retailers up to the dollar amount limit in any given state.

Wal-Mart has the biggest share, or about 20%, of the U.S. EBT and other related spending, estimated consultant Craig Johnson of Customer Growth Partners.

edit on 14-10-2013 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Shouldn't they have to pay it back if they spent over what they are entitled to? I know here if you accidentally get paid more from centrelink and don't alert them and they find out you can be in serious trouble. I would just err on the side of caution personally and only get what I am usually allowed to. Just because you're poor doesn't mean you can take advantage! (And we are a family of 3 - soon to be 4 on one income, + my $140pw parenting benefit so I'm not up on my high horse with $$ to burn saying this)

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

Yes, they should have to pay it back. However, since Louisiana is one of the poorest states in our country and those on EBT are arguably among the poorest of people in the state then it is unlikely that these people will pay for anything they got in this raid.

I doubt it will cut into Walmart's 200 billion + profits, or Xerox's for that matter.

If anything those people may be cut off from welfare benefits, but that's no guarantee.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Price gouge time!

Hey if your a Louisiana retailer raise your prices to capitalize on this opportunity.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by StallionDuck

you think they bought things like extra food or diapers ....or they bought big screen TVs and sound systems...

They should get their benefits taken away. You realize how many people who really need it will have less thanks to them? Every dollar misspent is a dollar less in that budget.

criminal. Unnatural to preserve them.

edit on 10 14 2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by StallionDuck

You used this opportunity to draw a red circle around those who are receiving welfare. I see your challenge and raise you one: it's the human race. If presented with the opportunity, anyone will do what these people did. Hell, they did it during Hurricane Katrina. Given how difficult it is to get ahead in this game, not to mention stay ahead, people will seize every chance they can get.

You act like you're surprised that people would do this sort of thing. Um, hello? Morality is an illusion. If presented with a cause and an opportunity, we will act like the animals from which we evolved. Civility, as an illusion, is only as effective as its ratio. If more people are uncivilized than civilized, say good bye to society.
edit on 14-10-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

no and I really resent that.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to live with honor? You just shat on everyone trying to live correctly.

It is not human nature to threaten your group. That is unnatural. These people just acted in a way that would have them shunned or worse in a naturally formed group. Like if you eat all the food for your tribe while contributing nothing for it. You are lucky if they just kick you out then.

It is very hard to do the right thing and the only reward is a good conscience as well as the satisfaction of knowing your impact on the world.

You give up on humanity

The rest of us will and have always forged ahead. We will survive you all.

edit on 10 14 2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Glassbender777
Personally people that already get the benefit, and then abuse that benefit, should have to pay it back. That just shows how fast people take advantage of something. the same way our Politicians take advantage of power and money, they cant help themselves when Greed clouds the mind.

There are honest folks out there that would starve without this help and that are extremely thankful for it.

Example family,

Disabled man
Wife only able to find twenty hour week
Raising thirteen year old granddaughter
Grown son had to return home unable to find work

This family pays all the basic bills and are lucky enough to have a mortgage, a home, but they are below the poverty line and after mortgage, utilities, insurances, phone bill, garbage, gas to work, doctor etc., there is literally nothing left for food and we did not talk about doctor bills or rx expenses. Wife has no insurance.

Now what is this family to do. They are not minorities taking advantage of anything and hate with all their being to ask for help, but they must for the grandchild sake, not the child's fault the minimum wage is so low or that there is no work etc.

This scenario plays out over and over, food stamps are a lifeline for families that would not eat otherwise.

People don't lump everyone on food stamps in with the pictures you saw or with welfare. We live in country, small towns, our church opened daily soup kitchen and you would be amazed at how many people are starving in America. Some it is the only meal and to proud to get stamps. Families like described earlier, they only get around 160 a month, some less. Some seniors are only given 35 for two of them. The children are amazing but fragile, they don't know what poverty is, they live in America, but they want to go to school because they know they will get to eat there. And then they smile and laugh in the soup kitchen line because they know they are not judged and that there is a hot meal coming.

No it is not all like you see on the videos above.

Those that judge should be careful karma is a bitter mistress.

The Bot

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Why didn't the checkers question this?
You know Walmart is going to blame it on them when Big Daddy Gov won't pay.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by VforVendettea

The checkers may have called their friends/relatives or texted them to let them know what the situation was. Could be at least one reason why....

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by VforVendettea

The checkers did look into it when they called their corporate HQ, which told them to keep on ringing the registers. If Walmart followed the procedure, then Xerox pays for it, not the GOV.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   

FreedomEntered
My opinion is this force them to work for their benefits. Its happening in the UK. Then they wont feel so entitled to steal.

For sorry for America that you have such " thoughtless" and selfish people. And yes there were TV's and electrical appliances in their trolleys which they knew they couldn't afford!
edit on 14-10-2013 by FreedomEntered because: (no reason given)

I guess I am confused. There has not been welfare here for a long time. Not in the sense people are thinking. The only real help is called tanf now and is less than three hundred a month for family of three. Designed to bring people above poverty level it is not as easy to get as one might think as all states save a few have cut levels to 1996 levels. The result is none of the intended are being brought to above the poverty line. Assistance is almost exclusive to single and or pregnant mom's.

The majority of ebt cards can only be used to purchase food. And you can bet that everyone of the people will have to pay back any overage paid. Their future benefits will be garnished until the amount is paid and many will lose their benefits.

The Bot

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
One woman was busted after systems came back on. She had .49 in her EBT and 700$ in her cart. Its a disgrace. I can understand if you need it, but one you've used your free money for the month do you really need to steal?

They are talking about minusing whatever they took from the coming months allowances. System was down, nut names and amount were still logged in system. Personally I think there should be jail time. You know if you used your card and you know your balance, don't need to hear excuses. Stealing from the tax payers. Send them all to jail.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Isittruee

Wouldn't sending them to jail for stealing tax payer dollars just cost more tax payer dollars?

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Thorneblood

Wouldn't sending them to jail for stealing tax payer dollars just cost more tax payer dollars?

Lol got me there. A loss of benefits would be best, but don't count on that. The only outcome I see is loss of future payments until debt is paid.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Come to think of it I'm saying pay it back like its coming out of the culprits pockets. So let me change that statement to I think they will wait for the tax payers to pay the debt before anymore money is put on their EBT.
edit on 14-10-2013 by Isittruee because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join