It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video playback problem

page: 1

join
share:
Odd

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Hey guys,

Ever since perhaps a week ago, every .avi file (including decoded DVDs) I run in any media player, including Winamp, Windows Media Player, and DivX Player, plays back with a heavy purple-pinkish tint. My monitor is undamaged, and all other displays are normally colored... I've tried reinstalling the various players, and downloading updated codecs, but nothing seems to work.

I have also established that it isn't the files I'm trying to open that are causing problems; they work fine on my roommate's computer.

Frankly, I am at a loss... does anyone have any suggestions?

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odd
Ever since perhaps a week ago, every .avi file (including decoded DVDs) I run in any media player, including Winamp, Windows Media Player, and DivX Player, plays back with a heavy purple-pinkish tint. My monitor is undamaged, and all other displays are normally colored... I've tried reinstalling the various players, and downloading updated codecs, but nothing seems to work.

WOW. Now, I've been able to help people with their video problems... but THIS is totally new to me.. a purple-pinkish tint? VERY interesting... you said you tried reinstalling the players and downloading the codecs, but have you tried updating the drivers for your video card? Sometimes, small things like that make a difference in performance. You mentioned everything that I would have suggested to try... except for the video card driver.

Who's the manufacturer? ATi? NVidia? or some other?

I'm interested in this now... I've never heard of this before! Keep us updated!

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

[Edited on 15-11-04 by prophetmike]

Odd

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 05:33 PM
link   
well, wouldn't you know it...

I was attempting to get a screen shot of a tinted video, but encountered some difficulty that led me to a faulty .dll in my OS directory. I yanked that thing out of there, and eliminated it from the registry, and now she works fine.

Thanks for responding, Mike, as you prompted me to take that screen shot... and that led to me accidentally fixing the damn thing

And, just for the curious... I'm on an IBM Thinkpad with some fairly threadbare specs; Windows XP, 2.0Ghz processor, 256MB of RAM, and whatever video card the great state of North Carolina saw fit to put into this thing before they gave it to me... I believe it's an ATi, but I'm not certain.

Whatever it is, it runs at about the same caliber as the GeForce 2 I had once; that, or two tin cans with a string run between them.

[Edited on 11/15/2004 by Odd]

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odd
Thanks for responding, Mike, as you prompted me to take that screen shot... and that led to me accidentally fixing the damn thing

Hey, no problem. I love helping people with their computer problems. I'm glad I was of help to you.

Sometimes, the way of fixing things is very unorthodox as it was in your case. I've never heard of your problem before... well, at least you fixed it!

HORRAY TO buggy .dll files!

You machine is not bad, but I'd recommend more RAM... 512MB is a good startpoint for XP... XP is known to eat RAM like a fat kid around Thanksgiving dinner. (No offense to any overweight people...
) [I AM FAT MYSELF]

Otherwise, it sounds good. ATi rules NVidia (so good for you)... I have a Radeon 9700 Pro and am loving it...

w00t!

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

[Edited on 15-11-04 by prophetmike]

top topics

join