It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is food so controversial?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
The topic of diet seems to get so heated, between vegetarians and paleos, and government recommendations and the American Heart Association, what have you. It's interesting to see the near religious fervor over what foods should be eaten. You'd think something as obvious as food would be the least controversial subject. But, in the last 70 years politics got into the food business and now it's all distorted, like everything else.

I for one am a milquetoast primal, but I definitely eat a lot of meat, 2 pounds of meat a day to be precise. And very little carbs when I can, vegetables are great tho I eat a lot of Brussel sprouts. And my physicals (twice a year) always have been stellar!

Just saying my diet, to add a little spice to the thread, pardon the pun

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   

FreeMason
I for one am a milquetoast primal...

You're a what?

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   

alfa1

FreeMason
I for one am a milquetoast primal...

You're a what?

A watered down primal lol....I try to eat pretty much just meats and vegetables but I break or bend the rules a lot.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by FreeMason

Wouldn't that be an omnivore?

om·ni·vore

/ˈämnəˌvôr/

noun

1. an animal or person that eats food of both plant and animal origin.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   

I eat what I am in the mood for. Your body kind of tells you what it wants in large part. Minus addictive foods and drugs your body knows best. So for me I have not been having enough "real food" as I call it. This means I needed Protein.

My girlfriend made a Roast out of a nice chunk of chuck.. Red Wine reduction sauce... Carrots onions mushrooms potatoes celery..

I feel good.

One thing for sure though. Got to get fruit and vegetables. I can actually tell when I need Vitamin C especially.

I think it's fine to be a vegetarian, but you have to look in to getting complete amino acids, good fats, and B vitamins. So that takes a bit more attention to detail.
edit on 10/14/2013 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   

justreleased

Wouldn't that be an omnivore?

om·ni·vore

/ˈämnəˌvôr/

noun

1. an animal or person that eats food of both plant and animal origin.

I would classify an omnivore as someone who eats both plants and animals to survive.

Humans survive almost best off entirely animal diets. The problem there is a lot of people no longer eat the brain, organs and marrow that are requisite for such a diet. The evidence is in the fact that Humans have a carnivores' gut, not an omnivore (like a bear), and certainly not an herbivore like a Gorilla. The fact that we can eat vegetables at all is almost as vestigial as our appendix. Literally, the appendix is the tail end of our Cecum where vegetable matter would be digested and which is almost non-existent anymore.
edit on 14-10-2013 by FreeMason because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Dustytoad

I eat what I am in the mood for. Your body kind of tells you what it wants in large part. Minus addictive foods and drugs your body knows best. So for me I have not been having enough "real food" as I call it. This means I needed Protein.

My girlfriend made a Roast out of a nice chunk of chuck.. Red Wine reduction sauce... Carrots onions mushrooms potatoes celery..

I feel good.

One thing for sure though. Got to get fruit and vegetables. I can actually tell when I need Vitamin C especially.

I think it's fine to be a vegetarian, but you have to look in to getting complete amino acids, good fats, and B vitamins. So that takes a bit more attention to detail.

It's been shown that over a course of a life time the Vegan's brain is almost 100grams lighter than a traditional diet. It is precisely because all the complex amino acids which make the brain can only be found in animal meat.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Well, I was being nice but your thread title is now incorrect as to your point. You already know what it is you think is controversial. You don't really mean why is food controversial, because you are making controversy over vegetarian diets. Basically you are starting controversy over food.

So you cannot mean "Why is diet controversial?"
What you mean to say is "why is my 'Correct Diet' controversial to others?"

And it's because people like to get in other peoples business.

You already know where I stand on food. "Eat what you like."
In fact my view is the least controversial.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Dustytoad

Well, I was being nice but your thread title is now incorrect as to your point. You already know what it is you think is controversial. You don't really mean why is food controversial, because you are making controversy over vegetarian diets. Basically you are starting controversy over food.

So you cannot mean "Why is diet controversial?"
What you mean to say is "why is my 'Correct Diet' controversial to others?"

And it's because people like to get in other peoples business.

You already know where I stand on food. "Eat what you like."
In fact my view is the least controversial.

Well I'm with you on do as you like so don't confuse me for making controversy. Originally I thought of this thread when my girlfriend got in an argument with her brother over bacon. Her brother being forced on statins having a very troublesome cholesterol issue ... I would take some getting into the business of others when the health care system gets involved because now we all have to pay for it.

But, I didn't put all that in there because it got deleted when the page accidentally closed and I was lazy.

But in general, if the diet is working for you and you're healthy who cares? But people fight over it, like go online and look up a youtube video on say...paleo diets, or on vegan diets and watch them both get at it lol!

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Do you know about Dave Asprey?
Talks about food quite a bit. Interesting guy.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

Or this guy Robb Wolf who thinks Bacon and Eggs are the best, and if you want carbs may as well have beer.
I tend to fall into this type of diet, until I just crave salads.

He's the paleo diet guy.. Very interesting podcast. One of my favorites.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I like the first video haven't watched any of the second video, headed to bed.

But I'll leave you on this note: 27minutes, the first video talks about genetics and how we pass our altered gene expression on through our generations. He mentions it still is present in grand kids (2 generations later), but I would say the Bible says it is even greater, at least 4 generations.

Did you know the Bible mentions that we inherit the sins and blessings of our fathers and mothers to the fourth generation?

Think about that...that's how I interpret it, that we pass on our traits not just psychologically through upbringing but also genetically.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 06:06 AM
link   

In regard to your exact subject line, we humans are too totally involved in those material personal things that we can do entirely on our own without (too much) governmental interference. Food, eating, personal health, and material acquisitions (phones, cars TVs) are the main core of the current Western life style. No search for soul need be sought as we frail in the dark of wanting....

As government restrictions become even more restrictive and expensive, we humans will turn more inward to discover even greater attributes and consolation in affairs of the pure mind. That sounds like some silly futuristic dream, but that is the ultimate human destiny toward which we are being physically pushed. And personally, I'm not sure but what this isn't the eventual goal. Proof of that wild claim can be had by a close examination at the life-styles of Buddhist monks and their situation in the modern world.

There is something out there beyond materialism and external control by others. It is free but requires the personal dedication of actual working on one's self.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   

It's only controversial if it is GMOs...

-SAP-

new topics

top topics

join