It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parmesan Basil Wheat Thins, homemade.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I love Wheat Thins but I don't like the ingredients in them, the ones that aren't necessary! I use to eat an entire box of the Parmesan Basil ones years ago but they stopped making them so I haven't really cared to buy any other flavor.

Well I found a recipe online recently for homemade wheat thins and let me tell you it was so simple and took no time at all!

I would say from start to finish with putting them in the oven about 18 mins.

This is the link to the actual recipe which gives instructions on how to make them with or without a food processor. I do not have a food processor I have an immersion blender like this. I got it to make my sons food, which it is GREAT for. The actual immersion blender I want is about $200+ and will be my Christmas present lol. I want to make a lot of things but my little hand held one would burn up if I tried to puree meat with it! I wouldn't recommend using an immersion hand blender for this recipe, use a food processor or your hands! I used my hands.

Here is all you need ingredient wise:
***1 1/4 tbs fresh basil & 3/4 cup fresh grated (brick fresh) parmesan cheese***
^^^those are my added ingredients for the topping.

Yield: About 3 dozen. I highly suggest doubling this recipe.

1 1/4 cups (155 grams) whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tablespoons (20 grams) sugar
1/2 teaspoon (3 grams) table salt, plus additional for topping
1/4 teaspoon paprika
4 tablespoons (55 grams) unsalted butter, cold is fine, cut into small bits

And you can find the rest of the directions here. There are directions for using a food processor and for by hand. I did by hand and it was just as simple, imo.

For the "parmesan basil" part. Mix both ingredients in a food processor or use a hand blender, which is what I used. Blend then sprinkle on each cracker before baking. If you don't have either item you can finely chop both together til blended.

sorry picture is blurry, couldnt get a decent picture.

On a cookie sheet before topping added. I covered the cooking sheet with parchment paper

With added parmesan basil topping

Final product!

These were definitely delicious! Next time I will add a little more salt and probably add the parmesan and basil to the flour mixture. This is a simple and easy recipe that is also quite tasty!! I am really happy I found it! I will be making these for Thanksgiving and they will also be added to my holiday food baskets. I will have to experiment with flavors for the holidays as well.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Those look delicious!!!!

This recipe is definitely going onto my to do list!

Thank you!

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Sounds delicious!

I don't know why more people don't make their own crackers.. it's incredibly simple.

Flour, sugar, salt, oil, water... + (whatever).

And you'll be avoiding all those nasty additives.

Excellent post and thread..

S + F!!

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   

seeker1963

Those look delicious!!!!

This recipe is definitely going onto my to do list!

Thank you!

It is so easy!! When I went looking online for a recipe this was the best one. I also found quite a few other recipes of hers I want to try that are homemade versions of classic foods. One is Oreo, which I gave up due to HFCS. So I shall try those next!!

Hope you enjoy!

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   

yumm yumm

i must have!

i love the parmesan basil mix as a topping

but i'm not so sure about the 1,5 tablespoon of sugar in the pastry. doesn't that make it too sweet?

also, have you experimented with an other flour, i'm not too fond of wheat.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   

AsarAlubat
Sounds delicious!

I don't know why more people don't make their own crackers.. it's incredibly simple.

Flour, sugar, salt, oil, water... + (whatever).

And you'll be avoiding all those nasty additives.

Excellent post and thread..

S + F!!

Agreed!!

The "avoiding all those nasty additives" are exactly why I decided to make my own. I can make a big batch and even freeze them and it doesn't take much. One bag of flour is less than $5 bucks and you use such small amounts of sugar and the other ingredients it is actually cheaper. Sure it takes time but 20 mins max 30 if you aren't as quick with cooking from scratch. I mean it takes 30mins to watch a sitcom or wait for pizza to be delivered lol. I guess i look at food differently than most. Believe it or not I have gotten some crap from certain people for making crackers and my sons food. I don't see how it is bad in any way! I have the time and even if I worked 40hrs a week I'd find the time. Good food is important to me and you can't really buy good food anymore it's all crap with chemicals and additives that are not needed. I can't even eat boxed items anymore, they make me feel crappy and they taste bad. I have gotten so use to making everything myself that I just don't enjoy the premade stuff. Sure there was a time when I did because I didn't make my own crackers but now I find myself making more and more things i enjoy from scratch because the store bought versions have changed so much they no longer taste like food!!

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   

SovannaMaccha

yumm yumm

i must have!

i love the parmesan basil mix as a topping

but i'm not so sure about the 1,5 tablespoon of sugar in the pastry. doesn't that make it too sweet?

also, have you experimented with an other flour, i'm not too fond of wheat.

Oh I LOVE parmesan/basil and when they made those Wheat Thins I literally would eat a box in one sitting. Something I should not admit lol but I did. I loved those darn things, addicting they were but i haven't seen them in over 5yrs!

You don't even taste the sugar honestly and it's really not all that much sugar.

I have not made it with other flour since they are called "wheat thins"

I'd imagine you could try other flour but then they wouldn't be "wheat thins"

I might have to try these next with rye flour. I love rye anything. I will make them with the rye flour next and let you know how they come out. Other than that kind of flour I just don't see them having the same taste that I am going for with a wheat thin.

I want to make triscuits BUT those are a little more difficult since they are woven crackers. I want to make cheese-its too! I will have to find a recipe for those next and try them.

edit on 10/13/2013 by mblahnikluver because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   

mblahnikluver
The "avoiding all those nasty additives" are exactly why I decided to make my own.

A perfect reasoning.

I can make a big batch and even freeze them and it doesn't take much. One bag of flour is less than $5 bucks and you use such small amounts of sugar and the other ingredients it is actually cheaper.

More like much cheaper. I'm sure that one bag of flour will make dozens, upon dozens.

It's not like sugar, water, and salt are very expensive. I like using coconut oil, which isn't the cheapest, however- buying in bulk, you can get all these prices to approach $0.00.

I guess i look at food differently than most. Believe it or not I have gotten some crap from certain people for making crackers and my sons food. I don't see how it is bad in any way!

Tell them to piss off. Making your own food (and your son's) is the best way to go about things with all the poisons in today's commercial food.

Food is necessary for survival... it's essential. Good, organic food- you live longer, healthier, happier..

I have the time and even if I worked 40hrs a week I'd find the time. Good food is important to me and you can't really buy good food anymore it's all crap with chemicals and additives that are not needed. I can't even eat boxed items anymore, they make me feel crappy and they taste bad. I have gotten so use to making everything myself that I just don't enjoy the premade stuff. Sure there was a time when I did because I didn't make my own crackers but now I find myself making more and more things i enjoy from scratch because the store bought versions have changed so much they no longer taste like food!!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed

Regards, and have fun cooking/baking! I'll have to share some of my favorite recipes with ATS.

-AA

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Thanks.

I'm working on a new menu for a restaurant and will try these out. I'm always looking to cut costs and increase flavor.

Plain, I bet these would be good with pimento cheese and tuna salad.

Maybe a ranch and crushed red pepper topping for chili.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   

You are fantastic! I love when members share recipes or projects on here...nice job my friend...

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   

RammerJammer

Maybe a ranch and crushed red pepper topping for chili.

Ok now THAT sounds good!!

I will have to try this one.

I'm making Cheeze-Its today

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Awesome looking food!

I'd love to dive into a bowl of those with some cheese and pickle olives an onions whilst lazing around the pool in the sun.

They look thin but I bet they are not a shallow tasting snack!

I wonder how well they would go with beer?

new topics

top topics

join