It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Secret is a Powerful Thing that can change your life

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
My parents fell for this marketing trap (just like many others that they purchased over the years, who'd have thought that you needed a back to base alarm system in a rural town?) and they purchased the book and received the DVD. Curious, I watched the DVD. A mere 10 minutes in, I couldn't stop myself from laughing.

The Secret is a joke. A generic product marketed at simple, gullible consumers determined to take the easy route in bettering their lives. It's on the same level as the latest exercise machine that's sitting in a pile in your garage with the 3 others that guaranteed weight loss with 5 minutes of exercise a day.

All these products offer you something they can't provide, gambling that you're just like 90% of other people and won't take them up on their money back offer since that would require going to the post office and spending some of your hard earned cash to get a small portion of it back.

The Secret? It's karma. That's all it is. Send out good thoughts and you'll get good thoughts back. "If you keep focussing on the bad in your life, that's all you'll continue to receive." Tell that to the many lotto winners that, in times of desperation, have had nothing but bad thoughts, and simply bought the ticket on a whim or as part of their daily routine. Bad things happen, and good things happen, but to simplify it as "if I think good things, I'll get further in life" is just ridiculous and somewhat childish.

To close, I leave you with a song by Tim Minchin: "If you open your mind too much, your brain will fall out."

If anyone can show me one example in the history of the world of a single
Psychic who has been able to prove under reasonable experimental conditions that they are able to read minds

And if anyone can show me one example in the history of the world of a single
Astrologer who has been able to prove under reasonable experimental conditions that they can predict future events by interpreting celestial signs

Homeopathic practitioner who has been able to prove under reasonable experimental conditions that solutions made up of infinitely tiny particles of good stuff dissolved repeatedly into relatively huge quantities of water have a consistently higher medicinal value than a similarly administered placebo

Spiritual or religious person who has been able to prove either logically or empirically the existence of a higher power that has any consciousness or interest in the human race or ability to punish or reward humans for there moral choices or that there is any reason - other than fear - to believe in any version of an afterlife

I will give you my piano
One of my legs
And my wife

That about sums it up for me. Good day.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Euphony
My life being awesome is worth $20!

Our lives shouldn't at all be measured by how much money we are willing to pay to make it better, but by how much we are willing to sacrifice to help others.
I am truly glad for mere $20, The Secret has helped you improved your life. However, with one success there are hundreds if not thousands who do not see any marked improvement.

Hey, I have an idea....since Rhonda isn't willing to give her books and seminars away for free and since you unreservedly believe that it works for you, how about you help others by paying for the their "secret" program? I suppose you could attract reimbursement from the universe for the amount, if not more? Start with paying for just 10. Ask (but do not force) them to pay it forward to another 10 if the program helps them.
If I believe it works, I know I would do just that, plus I would ask Rhonda to do the same and more. She can probably build her empire faster that way....if her program really works, that is.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Thanks for the responses.

The biggest objection I'm reading has nothing to do with the Secret itself but with the fact that people have made money from the Secret. For some people they see the Secret through the eyes of James Randi. So everything is woo even if they can't explain why it's woo.

The Secret was packaged this way because calling it a Secret attracts people who will not use these simple tools at their disposal otherwise.

The Secret is simply creating new habits and replacing old bad ones. You do this through repetition, visualization and expectation.

I will give you one personal example. I use to weigh around 260-70 and I would lose weight, then gain it back. The Secret tells us this could be due to a paradigm or habit I have formed. So I thought about it and I realized I did a lot of snacking when I would watch a TV show or rent a new movie. I would just run to the store and grab some snacks.

I then began to change this through repetition and visualization. I created a new habit of eating sugar free jello or yogurt instead of running to get a snack. Or I would do push ups or jumping jacks. I also wrote down on a piece of paper, I can't imagine myself weighing 260 lbs. I said this at least once a day. I dropped down to around 205 lbs and I have been at that weight for 5 years now. When I even think about weighing 260 lbs, I cringe at the thought of that extra weight.

This is the Secret. Habits are hard to change and some habits are much deeper than this. Habits that block success or that affect other aspects of your life.

You form habits through repetition and visualization and the Secret just says, you can create new habits through repetition, visualization and expectation.

What's woo, hocus pocus or magical about this?

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   

donktheclown
reply to post by Kurius

I can only hope that it progresses to that point.

Don't hope, my friend. Visualize and believe!

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by neoholographic

Buy this book for 10 smokers. After a year, you will still have 10 smokers.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
"the secret" as written in the book and was then made into a movie is only a very small portion of information that leads to building a guideline geared towards utilizing the law of attraction.

Its not REALLY a secret, and its not magic or pseudo-psycho babble. Its about projecting your legitimate wants and desires from the inside out so you can feel the results in "real life".

I'm sure i'm not the only one lately who's seen the studies coming out talking about "consciousness effects reality" "people have energy" etc etc, sure some of these have questionable sources and others are just people looking for attention, BUT the idea has been around for a long time.

what the "secret" (the book) does, is put this very basic idea into the heads of those who will listen to it. Cause thats the only way it works. It only works if you really REALLY desire a change and have a vision to go with it.

LOTS of people see it and scoff, they read it and see no immediate change so they deny it as garbage; but this only serves to prove that, not only did they not really pay attention to the material, they are not truly seeking a change. Therefor, they hardly deserve it.

In order to experience the effects of the law of attraction and the emittance of ones own conscious intent, one must have the belief that it will cause an effect.

I, and many people around me have discussed this topic and effect at length and observed the results over time; i can say, without a doubt, that it works. Its subtle; but it works. It takes time, and, for lack of a better word, faith. But it works.

It will never work in the way that most who see it to be unsuccessful are hoping for; money, a new car, a trip to vegas, these selfish materialistic things we say we want. BUT it can open up opportunities to follow a dream or career, to meet the love of your life and make true friends or to simply feel a life of appreciation and gratitude on a regular basis. "The Secret" is truly just about your own perception of your direct reality and the intents you focus on to change it; your attitude towards these factors will determine whether or not your efforts are successful.

Call it what you will, the secret, the law of attraction, the manipulation of reality through conscious intent. It is what it is, and for a lot of people today, it is a fact. Arguing against it will not only NOT dissuade believers, but plant them firmer in their belief.

By all means, continue to deny reality; there will be more left for the rest of us who cherish it.

PS: it works and i never read the book or watch the whole movie, so there!

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   

neoholographic
Thanks for the responses.

The biggest objection I'm reading has nothing to do with the Secret itself but with the fact that people have made money from the Secret. For some people they see the Secret through the eyes of James Randi. So everything is woo even if they can't explain why it's woo.

The Secret was packaged this way because calling it a Secret attracts people who will not use these simple tools at their disposal otherwise.

The Secret is simply creating new habits and replacing old bad ones. You do this through repetition, visualization and expectation.

I will give you one personal example. I use to weigh around 260-70 and I would lose weight, then gain it back. The Secret tells us this could be due to a paradigm or habit I have formed. So I thought about it and I realized I did a lot of snacking when I would watch a TV show or rent a new movie. I would just run to the store and grab some snacks.

I then began to change this through repetition and visualization. I created a new habit of eating sugar free jello or yogurt instead of running to get a snack. Or I would do push ups or jumping jacks. I also wrote down on a piece of paper, I can't imagine myself weighing 260 lbs. I said this at least once a day. I dropped down to around 205 lbs and I have been at that weight for 5 years now. When I even think about weighing 260 lbs, I cringe at the thought of that extra weight.

This is the Secret. Habits are hard to change and some habits are much deeper than this. Habits that block success or that affect other aspects of your life.

You form habits through repetition and visualization and the Secret just says, you can create new habits through repetition, visualization and expectation.

What's woo, hocus pocus or magical about this?

Exactly, nothing! But it is pitched as something so mysterious, that TPTB is trying to hide from the masses. Look at the book cover. If I remember, it has a background of some old hidden scroll or texts with a wax seal. I would think the videos follow the same theme (there are Youtube samples). How much more corny can it be?

And yes, I do have a big issue not only with Rhonda and friends making huge amount of money out of this from the underdogs (when she claims she could have all she wants by following her own lessons), but also seemingly to shift blame on the readers for failures...they are not doing it right, not having enough faith, left-brainers, brainwashed by conditioning, etc.... thus making them feel more miserable and like hitting a brick wall. She doesn't seem to take responsibility for anything but her own wealth.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
There are some STRONG feelings about this. I had no idea such a simple subject matter could invoke such pure hatred and fanatical disregard. That sounds like an oxymoron, doesn't it? Doesn't it?
I don't want to say that you are fanatically disregarding what information is being presented in the book "The Secret", but that is what you are saying. I am not asking you to take what is in the book seriously, but the concepts in that book go FAR, FAR beyond the reaches of that simple text alone. It is presented us in many works, in many cultures, both written and verbal... So why? Why is this book by itself the subject of fanatical disregard? Why, when it is, if anything, a primer or a very brief discourse on the subject of 'manifestation'...
better yet, why, when one has read it, and not tried the simple exercizes there-in, regard it as 'woo' or hocus pocus?

Yes, they talk about it like it works like magic, and the truth is, it IS a form of magic, if you want to call it that. Call it focus, or intent, or whatever, that's all magic is. And worst of all, the exercizes and all that are basically just geared to making you FEEL better. If you FEEL better, isn't that worth it in itself?

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
"The Secret" though presented in new age format actually has a basis in sound psychological principles.

Basically a rehash of "The power of Positive Thinking" by Dr. Norman Vincent Peal

www.psychologytoday.com...

Skeptics of the method should try an experiment in positive thinking even with the skeptical attitudes attached.... You will be astonished!

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Ok here's some Secret about The Secret...

One thing that can always be counted on in the self-help world is that every major proponent and huckster is in it for the money. This is highlighted beautifully by the conflict between Esther Hicks and the director of the film The Secret. The film is a reality hit job, pushing the idea that the law of attraction can help people manifest whatever they want - from cars to making their brain tumor disappear. It was when Oprah decided to feature The Secret on her show that it went mainstream and became a cash-cow. Esther Hicks appeared in The Secret originally to the tune of $500,000, but when director Rhonda Byrne wanted to release an "extended edition" (the gift that keeps on giving) Hicks wanted more money. [Naturally the Hicks got absolutely everything they wanted and that proved their teachings are correct!] It worked out badly for Hicks, the conflict eventually ended up with Byrne editing out every appearance of Esther and Jerry Hicks in the movie, creating some seriously disjointed flow. [7] [3]
In a classic gambit, Esther came out and said that it wasn't her that had issues with the movie and the director, but rather her ultra-secret alien buddy Abraham who decided that it would be best if they renegotiated the contract. And when that didn't work, Abraham pulled a classic "cosmic guardian" stunt of taking his toys home to pout.[8] and released their own version of The Secret called The Secret Behind The Secret.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Kurius

I disagree. It's much more than nothing. The Secret really works and it has worked for millions of people. The Secret is basically the same message put forth in Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill. They just repackaged the message as the Secret and there's nothing wrong with that. There's nothing wrong with people making money selling books. They didn't force people to buy their books and videos at gunpoint. Tony Robbins doesn't force people to come to his seminars and buy his books.

Why are people so upset because people are selling books and videos? I don't hear any complaints about the message just about people making money from selling books.

NEWSFLASH! People have been making money from selling books for years.

Here's Napoleon Hill basically saying the same things you hear in the Secret.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   

How can you claim the book "has worked for millions of people"? Do you have stats to back this up? Do you know the failure rate? Do you know how many people will not admit that they "failed"?

Yup, there's nothing wrong with people making money selling books, except ...does it make any sense to you that a multi-millionaire someone who claims she can manifest anything she wants still charges for it? It certainly doesn't to me.
Yes, I do have a problem when I see someone prey on the gullibility of others.

I'm not disputing whether it works. Positive thinking can be a powerful thing. There really is no reason for people to buy any book that claims magic to it. If you must, go to your local community library and borrow the books/DVD for free.

I wish everyone the best in all your quests.

edit on 14-10-2013 by Kurius because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Peace and greetings neoholographic!

The concept that you described in the op is indeed one of the ancient psychological "secrets" passed down throughout the ages.

Philosophical Alchemists called it the process of transmutation,... others called it the process of building, while I prefer the term "cultivation". It can be likened to mental/psychological programming/reprogramming. It's wonderful that we are all gaining an understanding of the once esoteric secrets of the Self.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Kurius

Again I disagree.

I say it has helped millions because this didn't just start with the Secret. This message has helped people for many years dating back to the Alchemist to Napoleon Hill. That's why I posted a video clip from Hill.

Some people even say the Pyramid at Giza became an initiation chamber to build and shape men. You would start as a new born in the subterranean chamber and then ascend to the Queens chamber and when you reached the Kings chamber you were born again.

The idea that you can change who you are and change your life through these kinds of methods isn't anything new.

Also, there's a reason people buy these books,

IT'S BECAUSE THEY WANT TO.

It's that simple. You say there's no need to buy these books but people with their own minds and money say otherwise and there's nothing wrong with that.
edit on 14-10-2013 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Sahabi

Peace and greetings neoholographic!

The concept that you described in the op is indeed one of the ancient psychological "secrets" passed down throughout the ages.

Philosophical Alchemists called it the process of transmutation,... others called it the process of building, while I prefer the term "cultivation". It can be likened to mental/psychological programming/reprogramming. It's wonderful that we are all gaining an understanding of the once esoteric secrets of the Self.

Great points and all I can say is ditto!

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I've said the before in one of the several threads on "The Secret".
The problem with most peoples interpretation of the law of attraction is that they fail to explore how they attracted all the strife and b.s. In their life and go straight to wishing for cool stuff. It's irresponsible in its application.
Btw is James Arthur Ray out of prison yet? He sure attracted a great new chapter for "The Secret part II"

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
My issue is not entirely with the profits made (though after reading below, you may also see my perspective on this topic). My biggest issue is with giving people false hope. For example:

ABC News referred to claims that the mind has power over our health as "perhaps the most controversial" in The Secret. They quote Michael Beckwith, founder of Agape International Spiritual Center[34] in Culver City, California, and one of The Secret "teachers" as saying: "I've seen kidneys regenerated. I've seen cancer resolved."[53] The film features one man who was paralyzed, mute, and on a ventilator after his spine and diaphragm were crushed in an airplane accident. He credits his full recovery to the power of his mind. A similar story is told by another interview whose breast cancer went into spontaneous remission without medical intervention.

The above is an excerpt from the Wikipedia page (yes, not the most reliable source, but good enough for direct quotes I feel). There were terminally ill and irreversibly injured people claiming full restoration to the "power of positive thinking". No matter how good you feel about yourself, your spine isn't growing back. Your kidney is not rebuilding itself. Your cancer isn't going to go away because you believe it will (in this case, I would blame misdiagnosis, but I've gone off on a tangent).

How do these people sleep at night when terminally ill patients may be refusing medical treatment because "feeling good about yourself" is all the medicine they need? It's sickening.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Like attracts like.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 03:39 AM
link   

I've learned to take my good habits and bad habits and even them out. I'm happy and healthy.

Edit:

And bacon is good!
edit on 10/15/2013 by OptimusCrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   
OP seems to be getting a lot of heat from posters about something that isnt even inflammatory.

I find the reaction to the posted material far more interesting the the OP itself (My own opinion being that Reality is predominantly 90% perception and if you think its crap chances are it is and if you think its not chances are..well you get the picture)

The secret and the concept that thoughts create reality are not exactly hidden knowledge its common sense that most people have forgotten or have been distracted from in order to have more control over people.

There does seem to be a conceited effort to keep people oblivious of their own power and the ability they have to save themselves.

As for people making money off the secret who cares...People make trillions off things that dont help people. If it works for you who cares HOW it works as long as it works.

If you had cancer and someone sold you a placebo that cured you of cancer would you care that you paid money for a placebo? You would have to be retarded to argue semantics. If it does what it says its supposed to do I dont care how it does it as long as it does.

All you trolls need to chill the cruck out.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join