It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*Videos* A few questions about this genre of music (Celtic/Irish?)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Lets have a chit chat about this, got some questions some of you might know the answers to.

First of all, please give any of the 3 videos in this post a listen.
They are all by a group called The High Kings, which I recently randomly discovered on a youtube spree.

I know, it sounds fantastic : D

Now is this Irish folk music or celtic music? I honestly do not know the difference between the two.

I also enjoy the more upbeat songs they have, with various instruments, like this:

Last question, do any of you guys know of other artists who sings this kind of music? I especially enjoy violins and flutes within this genre aswell.

I will leave you with just one more song that is.. well amazing really (got chills down my spine):

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Nice! I'm not sure if you'd call that Celtic or Irish, but I'm no expert.

My favorite in this genre is Steve McDonald and his daughter, Hollie Smith; here's one:

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by needlenight

Great songs. S&F

I love Celtic/Irish/Scottish music. My heritage being mostly Scottish/Native American.

edit on 13-10-2013 by DaphneApollo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   

No, this isn't Irish music. I have mountains of material from a show I did back in the 90s for almost a decade but, this is a good example of traditional music from Paddy Keenan post Bothy Band.

Maybe someday I will resurrect the show but, there seems to be more important things to do at the moment.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by DaphneApollo

Hahah, that guy is awesome : p

I would have loved to be there!

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by greencmp

It isnt irish music? So its celtic?

What kinda of show did you do? Any links? : D

Also that song you linked is great, it sounds really good.
edit on RAmerica/ChicagoV by needlenight because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   

needlenight
reply to post by greencmp

It isnt irish music? So its celtic?

What kinda of show did you do? Any links? : D

This might be called folk I suppose. I did a traditional music show.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   

The Celts were the original inhabitants of Ireland and England (the pics had Scotland). Through Romans overtaking England and the Franks and whoever as time went on the English became a mixture of cultures,while Ireland was pretty well left alone until later.Now as far as the difference between Celtic and Irish music? I have no idea.But if you like Celtic music I would say go listen to Enya.She has some very beautiful music.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Dimithae

Thanks for the info.
I know Enya well, I have listened to her music on and off since Lord of The Rings. She does indeed create some amazing music.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
This is Irish folk music, Celtic music usually describes something that is much older in origin, and less specific as there were multiple Celtic countries, including Brittany in France.

Here is an upbeat Irish folk song I like:

Here is a sad Irish folk song:
It's actually a much, much older melody, the original song called "the grenadier and the lady" from the 1700s.

This song might be a little too intense for your liking, but I'll throw it in anyway:

As for Celtic music.. this is something I consider to be a modern representation of, this song is beautiful:

edit on 10/13/2013 by Drezden because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Drezden

They all sound great mate. And I know Dropkick Murphys quite well and enjoy their music from time to time, along side Flogging Molly :p

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Some of my favourite bands

Lunasa

Afro Celt Sound System

Planxty

de danaan

(never posted vids on here before; hopes for the best)
edit on 14/10/2013 by teapot because: practicing posting vids

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Sounds like folk music. When I think of Celtic music, bands could be from a number of different countries like Japan (the cherry cokes) Or Lithuania like mutefish. Then you get the Corrs a traditional Irish band who play the old classics like the old hag and also sing in Gaelic

new topics

top topics

join