It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Found Hanged In Egyptian Police Cell

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
An American man has been found hanged in a police cell in Egypt, security officials have told AFP.

The body of James Henry, 55, was found in a police cell in the Suez Canal city of Ismailiya after he is believed to have committed suicide, the newswire reported.
Mr Henry was arrested over about six weeks ago after he was stopped for violating a curfew on the road between El-Arish and Rafah in North Sinai.
He is understood to have told officials he was a retired officer who was on his way to the Gaza Strip as he was a "historical documentation enthusiast".
He was found at noon on Sunday at Ismailia Awal police station, on the canal that marks the border of Sinai and the rest of Egypt.
Officials told AFP that a US embassy delegation had visited Henry in his cell last week.
His death comes a day after he was told authorities were extending his preventative detention by a further 30 days.

More news on this to come here

This stinks of foul play I think.

I dont know why people insist on going to these places when it's clearly not safe these days.
edit on 13-10-2013 by Lady_Tuatha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I agree....sounds fishy, and stay the hell out of these countries that are unsafe. Americans are used to a less leinent legal system if caught doing something wrong. It's not that way in other country's. This poor guy was going to be in jail for at least a few months for a curfew....
The part that really intrigues me is that he was researching something there. I wonder if he stumbled onto something and he was killed for it. .?

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

he was old enough to have known better , you say there is something fishy about this and i agree .
was he working for the cia ? . i think there is a lot more to this story than we are being told .

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Meldionne1

Your quote:

Americans are used to a less leinent legal system if caught doing something wrong.

made me laugh out loud! Your legal system is a complete joke to everyone who hears about it, yet you say you are used to a more lenient legal system? Not everyone's legal system is as perfect as the great USA! If you live in a different country then you have to abide by their rules and not where you come from.....
Ask the number of people shot and killed by your police for doing nothing wrong, then say that statement again!
edit on 13-10-2013 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

Sad.

I suggest those who visit places in the ME really consider the odds of violence or bloodshed and to be prepared for the civil strife that effects those regions.

I wouldn't visit Egypt if you paid me to.

But, in a potentially damaging blow to its economy, Egypt has now been ranked below countries such as Pakistan, Yemen and Chad for "safety and security" in an influential report on tourism by the World Economic Forum.

Egypt branded more dangerous for tourists than Yemen

S&F

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Where is a safe country??

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

Hey scotsdavy1... Where did I say the legal system in the USA is great ? Personally I don't think its great,but I do think it's more lenient than other countries .....And I said Americans are used to a more lenient legal system. Because they are!! ....Get it straight before jumping to assumptions , and attacking me. ....The issue i was trying to make , is that people are visiting foreign countries and they dont get how some of these countries can be with their legal system. Its not like America where you got a slap on the hand when doing something wrong, pay a small fee and move along your merry way.....some of these people should NOT be traveling! ...so before you jump to conclusions again, perhaps you should haul your bad self back a notch and take a look in the mirror.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   

The legal system in America is no better. All they have to do is cry terrorism and they can hold indefinitely or even murder foreigners. There's no due process here either.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 03:32 AM
link   
US Troops in Sinai ‘Under Siege’ as Egypt’s Junta Presses Offensive

A lot of people don’t even realize the United States has troops in the Sinai Peninsula, but they do.

us-troops-in-sinai-under-siege-as-egypts-jun ta-presses-offensive

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   

its well known the police in the states are heavy handed. lenient? i dont think so. slap on the wrist? nope. maybe truth hurts in your neck of the woods. your system and govermnent stink and you know it, but to say your police are lenient, get yourself arrested and see how lenient they are....

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   

you say the u.s.a has a more lenient legal system , maybe you should tell that to the young man that got sentenced to life in prison for being caught with weed for the third time .

i don't think he would agree with you .

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   

tom.farnhill
you say the u.s.a has a more lenient legal system , maybe you should tell that to the young man that got sentenced to life in prison for being caught with weed for the third time .

i don't think he would agree with you .

The legal system cannot account for stupidity - the bloke got caught once, then caught a second time - he knew if he got caught a third time he would be going to prison, yet he was stupid enough to get caught a third time.... all his own fault, he has to accept personal responsibility for his own actions!

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by hellobruce

i was pointing out that some of the prison sentences handed down in America are over the top and do not fit the crime

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Lady_Tuatha

This stinks of foul play I think.

I dont know why people insist on going to these places when it's clearly not safe these days.
edit on 13-10-2013 by Lady_Tuatha because: (no reason given)

Well of course it stinks of foul play but your position seems to take the story at face value.

Let me get my conspiracy goggles on here. Check.

6 weeks for violating curfew? ....uh huh
A "retired" officer.......uh huh
Documentation enthusiast.....hahahahahahaha

People don't go to these places. Few do, it's difficult unless you know what your doing. There are people looking to get into Egypt for historical purposes but know better. I obviously don't know if he was really there for the stated reason or not, what i do know, is I was born at night just not last night.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 05:57 AM
link   
So, he's wandering around one of the most lawless places on Earth, with what has to be a "funky" name and probably an even more funky set of papers. Lots of Merc's running through that area right now. I guess if the "state department" looked in on him, the Egyptians were going to treat him well, but not let him go because they knew who he was and what he was doing there. So, knowing the Egyptians were on to him, and he was having to hope that "John Scarry" was going to get him out? Probably chose the best of 2 evils.

new topics

top topics

join