Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Blood Sugar : Coke and Pepsi Make 457 Family Starving, while they get Multy Billion $.

page: 1

join

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   
KOH KONG, Cambodia..

in a report released earlier this month, the organization alleges that a plantation whose sugar ends up in the companies’ products has robbed 457 families of their farmland — their primary source of income.

This is one of many voice from their..

Song Kong wouldn’t think of buying a Coke or Pepsi at his local village store in rural Cambodia. With an income of about $1.50 per day, he needs to save every penny to keep his five children from starving.“Before the plantation came, life was good and I could save some money for my family. Now I have to fish, but I just make a little bit, enough to get by from one day to the next,” Kong said

What Pepsi..coke..oxam get from starving fam? This!

Cambodia's sugar exports rose to $13 million in 2011, an increase of 270 times compared to two years prior. Ninety percent of these exports went to the European Union, under the European Union's Everything But Arms trade scheme, which allows products from the world's poorest countries to be imported duty-free.
Much of the sugar, Oxfam says in its report “Nothing sweet about it: how sugar fuels land grabs,” is sold to a European company that supplies Coca-Cola and PepsiCo, which in addition to colas produce second tier beverages such as Minute Maid, Nestea, Powerade, Sprite, Dr Pepper, Fanta, Dole and Tropicana. These drinks contributed to a 2012 annual profit of $10.8 billion for Coca-Cola, and $8.3 billion for PepsiCo.
Catering to consumers’ insatiable sweet teeth, sugar cane plantations worldwide already cover an area the size of Italy. Over the next seven years, consumer demand for sugar is expected to grow by another 25 percent, Oxfam said, adding that it believed that more families in developing countries would be violently forced off their land to make room for sugar that ends up in the chocolate bars we eat and the beverages we drink.

that make me sick, is there any problem give them 10 to 30 $ each day from multy billion dollar? i just now know that this big company is so make me sick..i wont buy any one of their product! I am swear!

Read full story here..
www.globalpost.com...

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 04:48 AM
link   
It's a sad story but the article fails to address who is kicking them off their land to make these sugar plantations. Coca cola not buy directly from Cambodian suppliers . Coke has a policy to try to safeguard people such as this:

“through our Sustainable Agriculture Guiding Principles, we are asking our suppliers to recognize and safeguard the rights of communities and traditional peoples to maintain access to land and natural resources. We are working to promote respect for Human and Workplace Rights by the farm and the employer of workers at the farm, whether or not the employer is the farm itself.”

A very common story in the 3rd world where people have lived for generations suddenly are thrown off their land in the global grab for resources. Often there are several parties that form a chain of supply and corporations buy unaware of the situation going on.

Perhaps some of it is for show but at least some corporations are developing ethical trade policies to mitigate problems such as this. Since they're not going away any time soon this would be a good avenue to pressure them from to get results.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Asktheanimals
It's a sad story but the article fails to address who is kicking them off their land to make these sugar plantations. Coca cola not buy directly from Cambodian suppliers . Coke has a policy to try to safeguard people such as this:

“through our Sustainable Agriculture Guiding Principles, we are asking our suppliers to recognize and safeguard the rights of communities and traditional peoples to maintain access to land and natural resources. We are working to promote respect for Human and Workplace Rights by the farm and the employer of workers at the farm, whether or not the employer is the farm itself.”

A very common story in the 3rd world where people have lived for generations suddenly are thrown off their land in the global grab for resources. Often there are several parties that form a chain of supply and corporations buy unaware of the situation going on.

Perhaps some of it is for show but at least some corporations are developing ethical trade policies to mitigate problems such as this. Since they're not going away any time soon this would be a good avenue to pressure them from to get results.

Its they say..i dont believe it sir..look at the fact..kong is starving..they run a big conspiracy, they are greed..

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Asktheanimals

Do you actually believe them? There are no regulations in place to enforce those ethic nor even tell the truth about what you do or if you even follow your own guidelines.

When megacorps like Coke and Pepsi talk about how they are "minimizing" their impact to local farmers and "trying to ensure" their access to their OWN resources, it makes me sick. It's not like they are producing the cure for cancer or something that would save the world! They are making canned diabetes! There should be NO impact whatsoever to other cultures because nobody but the people who live there should even be there.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

I did put the qualifier "perhaps" before saying this is for show but there are at least some small concessions made by multinationals to get indigenous and environmental activists off their backs, which is better than nothing. Left to their own choosing it would be a scorched earth policy. Change must start somewhere and like I said they aren't going away so we do what we can.

This is by no means an attempt by me to exculpate coca cola or any other corp from the damage they have caused. They are a blight on human society functioning through capitalism run amok. That needs to change, agreed.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Asktheanimals
reply to post by Cuervo

I did put the qualifier "perhaps" before saying this is for show but there are at least some small concessions made by multinationals to get indigenous and environmental activists off their backs, which is better than nothing. Left to their own choosing it would be a scorched earth policy. Change must start somewhere and like I said they aren't going away so we do what we can.

This is by no means an attempt by me to exculpate coca cola or any other corp from the damage they have caused. They are a blight on human society functioning through capitalism run amok. That needs to change, agreed.

You get a star just for making me google "exculpate".

I apologize for assuming you were defending them. I guess I just don't see their efforts as being anything more than something they can point at on paper to "exculpate" themselves (thanks again for that word, hah!).

We are stuck at an in between state. There's so much useless legislation that makes legitimate and useful businesses from operating effectively that people don't even listen to the notion of more legislation or they just assume that legislation is already in place for this sort of thing so nobody takes a consumer stand (boycotting, etc).

It's as if current legislation is only there to serve as a cardboard cutout to convince people that their purchases are guilt free but they go too far in the wrong areas and not far enough in the right ones. I would be comfortable letting the market decide if the market was made aware of every corporate exploitation reported by mainstream sources.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I wish coke and pepsi still used sugar instead of that High-fructose corn syrup but the sugar tariffs have ruined that.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

Brilliant news to bring forth to ATS readers to show how corporations care.

I am Coca Cola addict Cheesy.

I have been telling my self my teeth are rotting and if I dont get my Coke fix at least every few days I feel a little strange. when I have a glass or mouth full is when I feel the addiction because it feels like a fix.

This story of families suffering because of my idiotic health deteriorating addiction has now given me a chance to take a step in the right direction and quit once and for all drinking Coke and Pepsi.

Here now on this thread of yours I am making a declaration of independence from Coke and Pepsi starting from 15th October 2013.

I have such a guilt because I live in Australia and there are 3rd world countries where families are suffering because I have food I can throw out every meal.

I am sick of feeling like this and will attempt to make a change.

First on the list is to stop drinking Coke and Pepsi.

Feel free to ask in future if you or any reader remembers as that would help with the fight to overcome this measly addiction to surgery drinks.

S/F for bring this to my attention.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   

InhaleExhale
reply to post by cheesy

I have been telling my self my teeth are rotting and if I dont get my Coke fix at least every few days I feel a little strange. when I have a glass or mouth full is when I feel the addiction because it feels like a fix.

This story of families suffering because of my idiotic health deteriorating addiction has now given me a chance to take a step in the right direction and quit once and for all drinking Coke and Pepsi.

Here now on this thread of yours I am making a declaration of independence from Coke and Pepsi starting from 15th October 2013.

I have such a guilt because I live in Australia and there are 3rd world countries where families are suffering because I have food I can throw out every meal.

Feel free to ask in future if you or any reader remembers as that would help with the fight to overcome this measly addiction to surgery drinks.

It won't be easy, they are quite addictive, but can be done.

Use liposomal vitamin C to break addictions, there is a thread here for making your own at home. Liposomal Vitamin C Thread

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   

InhaleExhale
reply to post by cheesy

You could try going very slowly, watering down the cola - maybe a ratio of 1 in 16 for a week, then 1 in 10 for a week, and so on...and while doing that, you could experiment with different flavors of tea - some have a nice taste without any sugar in them...find one you like and maybe you can switch from cola eventually...
The worse thing with any 'addiction' is to cut off completely all at once. You will be more likely to backslide and once that happens even one time you lose your confidence that you will be able to stop at all...good luck!

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I drink locally made iced tea..

I quit drinking pop(Coke, Pepsi) a while ago..

My wife on the other hand.......

But this shouldn't be surprising, alot of companies do this look at Walmart they charge these Chinese 20 cents to make something then sell it to us for 40 bucks.. meanwhile they never ever help those who are doing the back breaking work..

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   

MrSpad
I wish coke and pepsi still used sugar instead of that High-fructose corn syrup but the sugar tariffs have ruined that.

I saw a documentary on that not long ago. Seems it was some protectionist legislation to help some business friends who run sugar cane plantations down in Florida. The documentary was about how they bring in illiterate workers from the Caribbean, make them sign contracts to pay them pennies an hour and keep them in laborer camps. It's brutal work apparently and rather dangerous since they use very sharp machetes to hack down the sugar cane. Then once the harvest is over they dump them on the street instead of sending them home as promised.
Nice guys to work for, huh?

Ftr - I miss the way Dr. Pepper used to taste with real sugar.
edit on 13-10-2013 by Asktheanimals because: added comment

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Yeah man, there sure is a lot of corporate exculpatin' going on. I don't know where these words come from honestly. I never use it but somehow I knew it was the right word in that context. There has to be a name for things you know but don't consciously remember.
I remember years ago the news would have stuff about corporate and bank wrongdoing, investigations, etc. Hard questions for their heads on 20/20. That all changed after 2000. From that point on it seemed there was never any criticism or investigations or if there was it was just a blip that said "JPMorgan today paid a record fine of $3 billion to the SEC over fraudulent lending practices" as if that was a great thing even though the bank ranked in $30 billion from the illegal practice. It looked good on the surface but was meaningless in the long run. That's how we got where we are, there is nobody that can reign them in force them act with ethics. Much of law has been changed to make legal what used to be called corrupt.
edit on 13-10-2013 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

To be fair; US Coke and Pepsi products don't use sugar. They use GMO high-fructose corn syrup which is not any better for you (and probably worse), but you aren't directly using sugar products from these folks in Cambodia.

edit on 2013/10/13 by Metallicus because: Grammar

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by InhaleExhale

I used to be a coca cola addict. My teeth were getting dis-colored and weakening. I quit drinking soda pop and started making my own toothpaste. Equal parts of sea salt and baking soda and then add just enough distilled water to make it into a paste. This means no more Florine from toothpaste. My teeth are amazingly white now, and my dentist appointment was the best I have had in years.

I decided I'm am sick and tried of being addicted as the corporations say I should, and decided I'd rather live my life on my terms, and no longer live like a slave to theirs.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

Pepsi Throwback features iconic Pepsi packaging from the '70s and '80s and old-school taste that reflects the original Pepsi Spirit drink: It's sweetened with real sugar as opposed to high-fructose corn syrup.

SOURCE

It's been sold for awhile now.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I searched through the article to try to find out who owned the plantation and why they decided to plant sugar there. I see no evidence that any US company had anything to do with it. The most reasonable explanation is that a Cambodian bought the land and switched the production to sugar. Blaming Coke or Pepsi makes no sense in such a situation.

I did find one clue in the caption to the first photo.

A Cambodian community leader Teng Kao points out a sugarcane field in Koh Kong province, about 250 kilometers southwest of Phnom Penh. An EU scheme to boost trade with developing nations is fueling land grabs in Cambodia, activists say, with thousands evicted from their property to make way for a booming sugar industry.
So, if you've a need to blame somebody, blame the Cambodians and the European Union.

I know it's tempting to go after Coke and Pepsi. After all, they're not only American, but they're big companies. What other evidence is needed?

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I ran across another article, this one from The New York Times. I think it takes Coke and Pepsi off the hook, pretty much completely.

Nearly all of Cambodia’s sugar exports go to the European Union under the Everything But Arms program, which eliminates import duties for the sugar. The European Union also sets high minimum prices for imported sugar, well above world levels. Western activists have tried in recent months to organize consumer boycotts against companies that have bought Cambodian sugar, . . .

In a written response to questions, Ambassador Jean-François Cautain, the head of the European Union’s delegation to Cambodia, pointed to statistical measures. Rising exports helped Cambodia triple average annual income per person in the last decade, to $980, while reducing poverty to a fifth of the country’s population, he wrote. “We also need to consider the benefits the overall Cambodian economy gets from the ‘Everything But Arms’ scheme and the harm the country would suffer if we remove it,” he wrote.

But the developing sugar industry has created jobs chopping sugar cane for previously destitute migrant workers from hill villages even poorer than Omliang Commune. Sugar refineries have also brought multimillion-dollar investments, roads and other amenities to remote areas where investors have long feared to venture in an oftentimes chaotic country like Cambodia.

The root of the problem, not surprisingly, goes back to the horrors of the Khmer Rouge years. The Khmer Rouge, the Maoist movement that ran Cambodia from 1975 to 1979, are most notorious for causing the death of as many as a quarter of Cambodia’s people, many of them murdered in the country’s “killing fields” and prisons. Others died from large-scale starvation.

But a less-known aspect of their rule was the systematic destruction of nearly all land records in Cambodia. Land ownership is now ambiguous.

Cambodian law authorizes a land title of sorts for people who have been certified by local authorities as having occupied the land for at least five years.

They say that obtaining the necessary certification from local authorities had been nearly impossible before Phnom Penh Sugar, in which a powerful Cambodian politician, Ly Yong Phat, who owns a controlling stake, was granted land in the valley by the national government.

www.nytimes.com...

The problem, therefore, seems to be of the Cambodians' own making.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by lostgirl

Thank for your kind and helpful advice.

The worse thing with any 'addiction' is to cut off completely all at once.

In my case its how I do things, in a very extreme sort of way.

I have overcome addiction to other things, yet addiction itself is always there unless your changing on such a rapid scale that you can not get used any sort type of living but then your still addicted to change.

I have stopped with much sugar before and only when I have glass of Coke is when I realize how much of fix it is and how my body has a craving for it.

You will be more likely to backslide and once that happens even one time you lose your confidence that you will be able to stop at all...good luck!

I could describe myself as a one step forward two steps back kind of person and see that as a positive attribute in a world of diversity and change.

My confidence does play a part on what I will attempt, however its when its really down that I challenge myself to fail even further and most times in doing so I have triumphed in not being able fail but succeed and in doing so raised my confidence.

new topics

top topics

join