It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Dakota ranchers reel after 'catastrophic' storm leaves up to 100,000 cattle dead

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I happened to be flying last week and saw an impressive storm over the middle of the states. I guessed it was generally over Nebraska but perhaps more north... as in moving to the Dakotas.

This storm easily covered a few states in area. I've never seen a formation like it before-never so tall, so much area. It was visible for most of my 2,000 mile air trip and the cloud tops seemed to reach 40,000 ft. (at least they towered over our plane's flight level at 35,000). Pretty impressive for a cumulus cloud mass.

We were diverted around it and added an hour to our flight. I thought it was a heck of a storm and I guess it was.

It is our duty to eat steak, so that these poor cows do not go to waste. A tough economic blow to those ranchers, though.

Weather in an exercise in extremes; wait long enough and everything possible within it's parameters will be expressed. Since more energy is being kept by our greenhouse emissions, larger storms are going to happen.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by AbleEndangered

This will cause a raise in beef prices although I do not know by how much... 100,000 head is a lot and cows have one calf a year, so this will effect prices because this does effect how many steer can be slaughtered over the course of the next few years until a number of heifers are replaced...

granted, there is about 742,000 herd in the US with an average of 44 head in each herd, but even still... we use all of it whether here at home or for export... 100,000 is a lot. it will effect the market.

As a person who used to own cattle... that sight brought tears to my eyes... I have a very difficult time imaging how devastating it was to those farmers.

edit on 13-10-2013 by OpinionatedB because: grammatical

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by AutumnWitch657

yeah maybe globally, but I dont think its not a big deal. Some ranchers are saying from a third to half of their heads are gone. That is allot for them. Also they could have major problem if they dont collect all the carcases. The water supply could be fouled by just a dozen rotting cows in rivers and streams.

I am not really worried about not having a cheese burger. I am worried about their bank loans and soon to be eviction notices from their land.

The global impact will be felt though. Prices will go up.

edit on 10 13 2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Phage
reply to post by pandersway

I have a comment.
HAARP cannot manipulate the weather or cause earthquakes.

Sorry Phage, that is wrong.

You know it.

Ode t o Phage. He knows a lot but he doesn't know as much as he thinks he does.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Forgive me if I am wrong, but storms just don't crop up in the middle of the country... at least not big ones.

They are created over the Pacific. Various factors go into this and why couldn't HAARP be one of them? Do they really have control over where the storms go once they are created? They don't have the ability to control the jet stream now do they?

Point is, if catastrophe = big money for those with special interest in HAARP, would in really matter where the catastrophe happened? No. Disaster capitalism. A reason for bad things to happen anywhere, anytime.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
And forgive me for adding - last I looked while Phage may be knowledgeable in many categories, he did not have access to every record, statistic, and test done at ionosphere manipulating arrays like HAARP, nor does he work at one.

Considering the only tests that can be afforded to be done are done by governments, and governments are known to lie and withhold information about nearly everything, then forgive me for taking their "research" with a grain of salt.

Point is, heating of the ionosphere on small scale studies shows the ability to manipulate weather patterns and at the very least promote the production of storm cells. It can only be assumed by this information that doing it on a large scale would produce similar results.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TheNewRevolution

Point is, heating of the ionosphere on small scale studies shows the ability to manipulate weather patterns and at the very least promote the production of storm cells.
How so? The ionosphere is very unlike the lower atmosphere.

The ionosphere is composed of charged particle (called ions). The density of the ionosphere is very low. It is, in essence, space. The Radio waves can affect charged particles trapped by the Earth's magnetic field. That is what HAARP does.

The troposphere (where weather occurs) is composed almost entirely of neutral particles. Radio waves cannot affect neutral particles.

The ionosphere is 10s of miles above the troposphere.

edit on 10/14/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Just checking various sites on the number of cattle slaughtered PER DAY in the USA.

Seems the number varies a little, but is roughly 95 to 100K per day.

Interestingly enough, the same number that some reports say were killed by the storm.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Is or was there not an issue concerning tainted beef recently, good way to get rid of the problem...

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Heart warming news story with regards to this loss: Rancher interview

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Sad thing is...these cattle still had their summer coats on and haven't even winterized themselves for the coming winter. So this freak storm shocked the entire herd of cattle.

Estimates of loss from these deaths amount to about $125 million for South Dakota.

This storm, although unexpected, do happen from time to time. Like Phage said, it doesn't have anything to do with HAARP.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Good thing humans don't need to eat meat to survive or be healthy.

Sal

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Phage
reply to post by pandersway

I have a comment.
HAARP cannot manipulate the weather or cause earthquakes.

Surprised at such statement from you.

A more accurate statement is, it can't cause earthquakes. It can manipulate weather. Phage knows this but that is misleading statement, because it does not directly effect the weather. It more accurately manipulates in the sense it can move the jetstream. If you control or direct the jetstream you can by definition manipulate the weather.

This usage for haarp has been done on small scale but dismissed by disinformation guys and now I guess Phage. Not sure why he argues against this as technology for this purpose. We have known about this for a very long time.

We have knowledge of much more but it is classified science.

The Bot

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by dlbott

It more accurately manipulates in the sense it can move the jetstream.
No. It can't.
The location of the jet stream is determined by conditions in the lower atmosphere. HAARP cannot affect the lower atmosphere.

A jet stream forms high in the upper troposphere between two air masses of very different temperature. The greater the temperature difference between the air masses, the faster the wind blows in the jet stream.

So, the strongest jet stream winds then occur between air masses having the largest temperature differences over the deepest layer of the troposphere.
www.weatherquestions.com...

We have knowledge of much more but it is classified science.
Who is "we"?

edit on 10/16/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   

spacedoubt
Just checking various sites on the number of cattle slaughtered PER DAY in the USA.

Seems the number varies a little, but is roughly 95 to 100K per day.

Interestingly enough, the same number that some reports say were killed by the storm.
i remember reading some where that 250.000 pigs get the chop every day of the year in america somewhere

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Phage
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

Yes. Natural....depending on your opinion about the causes of global warming.
The storm originated in the Pacific, arrived in northern California on October 1st, clobbered Colorado on the 3rd and 4th, then moved into South Dakota on the 5th.
usnews.nbcnews.com...

It happens.
usnews.nbcnews.com...
www.thedenverchannel.com...

Chances are we'll be seeing more in the coming years.

edit on 10/13/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Well, as for "global warming"; I consider that a normal trend in weather patterns, not something man-made. So, if this was simply an early storm, then, yes, that would be natural. Weather patterns do have cycles, after all. And, yes, I understand there can be such early storms, too. In this case, it was mostly just a feeling that there was something more to it. Do you have any opinions on possible weather control, not neccessarily related to this story?

And, to all - apologies for being off so long; had a lot of computer and other issues.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

awesome avatar.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Last Friday/Saturday I actually met the young man who predicted this storm with dead on accuracy. Was is Fate, chance or something else?

Trust me... there really was a snowstorm that killed a bunch of cattle. Some were still visible and dead on my random road trip last weekend. You would have to visit the area in person to understand how it could happen.

So...back to the story. I made a decision to take a random road trip to celebrate my birthday last weekend. The situation was pretty much pack and go when a family member suggested it. 6 hours later we are in Deadwood SD. After checking into a room, getting some supper, exploring the streets for a while.... we landed at a black jack table to loose a few bucks

As fate would have it... The young man and his wife were sitting at the same table. Much fun was had and the conversation flowed.... turns out the young man and I shared the same Birthday. Of course the required shot to celebrate our Birthday was suggested and customary... How often do you run into someone who shares that day by chance? Turns out we both were fond of Patron...
And that led to our deeper conversation... turns out the kid is a SD state fire meteorologist. It is rare that I run across someone so much like myself. (Science minded)

I was a little disappointed he was not very interested in Ison.... but I was amazed with his love of his own work.

HARP did not cause the storm... A Comet did not cause the storm... And Armchair Scientists are really annoying... But "book smart" Scientists are the worst... they are educated, but have never been in the field to study the very thing they are attempting to analyze.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Larry2323

I feel that this is just a freak snow storm. HAARP was supposed to be shut down according to Disclose TV because they forgot to turn in their budget.

Well, that's interesting! Missed this one skimming through earlier. Been away from ATS for a few weeks; didn't mean to not respond.

HAARP shut down, eh? I wonder if anyone in that area could verify that? It's pretty remote, as I recall, and they aren't exactly friendly to visitors.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   

OpinionatedB

meaning I am shocked by the damage and the storm...

weird since I had a dream about it a few years back...

as to your theories, I am with Phage...

You dreamed about that storm? Cattle and all? Now that's a whole other topic of conversation, eh?

The theory is just a theory, and I certainly don't have data to support it. I just thought it might make for some interesting speculation. Ah, well.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join