It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California just outlawed lead ammo!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Well they've actually done it! California just effectively neutered gun owners and hunters by passing into law AB711, which bans the use of ammunition made of lead. What's more, they used animal humane and environmental groups to slam this through. There was NOTHING on the news about this, as if there was I'm sure there would have been a public outcry, especially here in the "red" end of [rural Northern] California. The only reason I found out about it is an email I received from the Humane Society of the United States, whose email list I was on because I've supported shelter and animal rescue causes in the past.

Unleaded ammo is very hard to find (I've never seen it in any store here, ever) and the cost is outrageous, about 3 to 6 bucks a round.

This is how the anti-gun statists operate and force their agenda on a supposedly free Republic - they don't "exactly" outlaw the thing they want done away with, but they put so many regulations in place, it eventually becomes impossible to exercise the right in question. _javascript:icon('
')

Here's a copy of the email text I received:

"October 11, 2013
Humane Action share Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Send an Email
Dear Ann,
Today is an important day for wildlife protection in California. Gov. Jerry Brown signed two pieces of legislation today thanks in no small part to all the hard work The HSUS and our supporters have put in to protecting California's wildlife and people.

Gov. Brown’s signing of AB 711 means hunters in California will be required to use non-lead ammunition to stop the incidental poisoning of dozens of species, and stop these bullets from killing long after they have left the chamber. His signature on AB 1213 will add a no-trapping buffer zone for bobcats around Joshua Tree National Park and stop commercial trappers from catching and killing bobcats on private property without the consent of the property owner.

Our California State Director Jennifer Fearing says, “California has led the nation in creating humane laws, and today’s pair of actions by Governor Brown is an incredible victory for wildlife and humans alike." Read more on my blog»

Thank you for all you do for California's animals.

Sincerely,

Wayne Pacelle, President & CEO
The Humane Society of the United States"

edit on 13-10-2013 by Gemwolf because: Removed all caps title

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockerchic4God

Buy copper the price is going up.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Two things...

I see where you're coming from & agree that California is out of control.

But...

It seems, on the surface, to just be applicable to ammo used for hunting...usually you don't use a whole lot of ammo hunting (unless you can't shoot) - so a bit more expensive ammo isn't that big a deal when you'll probably only end up using a few rounds anyway

If it applies to the shooting range or makes the sale of lead ammunition illegal then that's a whole different deal

ETA - Here's a link with some more info:
Jerry Brown signs 11 gun-related laws, vetoes seven
edit on 13-10-2013 by coldkidc because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   

California is so terrible. They can have all the sunshine and hard bodies in the world.....California sucks on so many levels.

But hey its their state. I dont see why they dont just secede from the union already. Or why fate doesnt just sink it into the ocean.

Go dumbasses!

EDIT:

sorry northern California. Leave now while there is time...the rest of the continent welcomes you.

edit on 10 13 2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   
The previous law applied only to centerfire ammunition used for hunting coyote in deer hunting areas.
The new law applies to all ammunition used for any hunting.

Existing law requires that nonlead centerfire rifle and pistol ammunition, as determined by the commission, be used when taking big game with a rifle or pistol, as defined by the Department of Fish and Wildlife’s hunting regulations, and when taking coyote, within specified deer hunting zones, but excluding specific counties and areas. A violation of these provisions is a crime. Existing law requires the commission to establish a process, to the extent that funding is available, that will provide hunters in these specified deer hunting zones with nonlead ammunition at no or reduced charge.

This bill would instead require, as soon as is practicable, but by no later than July 1, 2019, the use of nonlead ammunition for the taking of all wildlife, including game mammals, game birds, nongame birds, and nongame mammals, with any firearm.

leginfo.legislature.ca.gov...

It looks like the intent of the original law was to protect the California Condor. Makes sense from that point of view. Condor eats animals with lead bullets in them...not good for the bird. Same goes for any scavengers.

I don't see any restrictions on the selling of lead ammunition.
edit on 10/13/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   

will be required to use non-lead ammunition to stop the incidental poisoning of dozens of species

This is pretty funny - so your shooting at a Buck & what you hit a turtle or a fish.

I mean Brown is a Communist - what do expect out of that state?
Think these politicians just make up these laws to laugh at their citizens & see how far they can push them.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Wasn't another recent thread suggesting 'ol Moonbeam did a good thing by vetoing another gun restriction in California? I knew the old fox was up to something. He's got the common sense of a lemming but the political sense of a master. Just like the bigger version in the White House.

No lead ... Nice... Dandy.... If that passed in most of the nation the solution would be easy enough and many already have a good number of rounds with steel core instead of lead. Except.... Uh Oh... Wait for it... Here it comes.... Steel Core rounds are technically armor piercing (they also make crap for hunting rounds because they don't deform...but if the deer has Kevlar? Let 'er rip).

So how long before the alternatives are outlawed as saying anything harder than copper or lead is armor piercing and copper prices make bullets too expensive for average folks to buy?

This was one approach people speculated would be used a few years back when the turn against guns first became obvious, as I recall. Leave the guns, attack the ammo...and people are left with conversation pieces instead of weapons. They're also trying to regulate reloading material as Haz-Mat/Explosive for permit in some places. That's covering all the bases.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Well thats stupid full metal jackets are much more dangerous to cops they tend to rip through most bullet proof vests. And also increases the likely hood of cops killing Innocent bystanders in a shoot out since they tare through walls as well. If you live in LA better put some steel plate on the walls.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I am a recent escapee from Cali, but I came from far northern Ca, which is very big into guns and hunting.
There are going to be some very pissed of Norcal people, especially in certain counties with a dangerously high overpopulation of deer.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

I don't think police are considered to be wildlife. It's still ok to use lead when hunting them, or any other humans.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   

people are left with conversation pieces instead of weapons

Sounds good to me. It's time for people to join the 21st century.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

There are going to be some very pissed of Norcal people, especially in certain counties with a dangerously high overpopulation of deer.

Are they really bad shots? If not, this probably won't put much of a dent in their pocketbooks.
But you know that a lot of hunters have stopped using lead just because it's a good idea, right?
www.huntingwithnonlead.org...

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Nobody gives a wrinkled rats butt about the DPRC anymore, they can have all the jacked up laws they want as long as we don't let transplants leave the state and push that same crap elsewhere. I doubt very seriously that this law was seriously crafted with the Condor in mind since every single other law in the state that relates to firearms was created with shafting firearms owners as the prime goal. This is the same state which gave birth to the retarded mechanism known as the 'bullet button'.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by CB328

so....

They can talk about the late response times over coffee in funeral homes and hospitals?

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I live in KY a huge hunting state, i honestly wouldn't be hurt if they
passed a similar law here, why not stop pumping lead into our
environment..... its really bad for you and most living things by
the way..... There are reasons to get worried about gun rights,
but there are also things that do need to be addressed, such as
lead poisoning, nothing wrong with being practical.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   
It's not that leaded ammo is being banned, but rather the use of lead ammo is being made illegal so as to prevent 'lead poisoning' to animals and such that may be harmed by ingesting lead and/or may pass lead down the food chain if the animal was shot 'out of season' either accidentally or on purpose and some remains / carrion may be left behind for other animals to ingest.

Besides that, the intentional killing of protected animals such as Condors and Humans, and the killing of other animals outside of their respective "hunting season" is already illegal. No need to make "lead" illegal for those purposes.

edit on 10/13/2013 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I just thought I'd add something I haven't seen anyone talk about. That is, the fact that the govt has already run tests/trials of disarming the public (e.g. Katrina/New Orleans). AFAIK, there wasn't a single person that stood up and fought back. No reports of anyone getting shot. No prying of any guns from cold, dead hands, as promised.

My point is that, for all the tough talk from gun owners, when the SHTF, everyone seems to give up their guns without any resistence. What makes me/us any different?

I'm not trying to talk smack here or offend anyone. I just happen to be one of those gun owners that believes I will (can?) stand up to anyone who attempts to disarm me. In light of what I've seen, now I'm not so sure. If 100% of gun owners back down, what makes me so special? Will 4 guys pointing rifles at me, screaming at me, simpy make me crap myself? Is that how they do it? I don't ever hear about anyone fighing back...ever.

Thoughts?

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by GEmersonBiggins

Thoughts?

What does any of what you said have to do with using lead rounds while hunting?

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Don't you think it's simply good thing to have a lead ammo ban?

I know it can be a hard idea to have your lead ammo taken away but could you see the bright side?

LEAD, is a terrible toxin. I for one, do not enjoy the idea of huntsmen spraying lead bullets everywhere. In my country, there has been also a ban for lead-based fishing products, of which i think that it's also a good thing, overall.

I enjoy fishing a lot, and i remember feeling frustrated because of the lead ban, because there really is not a good substitute to lead going with same price. Maybe tungsten, but thats very pricey.

Nowadays, i feel good about the whole lead ban. I really hope that everybody can see the BAD effects of spraying clumps of lead to surface of our planet.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by GEmersonBiggins

Your post has really nothing to do with Lead based ammo -ban.

It's not disarming by any sense. Have you been taking some "sensitive&proud" -pills, dúdé ?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join