It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wi-Fi

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 12:05 PM
link   
www.cnn.com...

"In September, Philadelphia officials announced a $10 million plan to transform all 135 square miles of the city into one Wi-Fi hot spot, placing cells on street lights and other devices. The service would be free or very low cost, according to the city."

Looks very promising if all goes ahead correctly. The only problem I can see is that what happens when it brakes down? There would be massive chaos as all the computers in the city on this wireless internet would just be shut off.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Just read in the local paper that the City of Mountain View, California right next door may try to implimnet Wi-Fi city wide

Man will the birds be able to fly with all that EM radiation

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by phixion
The only problem I can see is that what happens when it brakes down?

Same thing that happens when the power goes out. Just like the power grids they will try to build enough redundancy into the system.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Free internet service, state wide? Wouldnt that just about ruin every other internet service provider in the area? Don't get me wrong, i'm all for it; but just expect some major ISPs to get really pissed.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Does anyone know who the main ISP's are Philadelphia?

I found that www.albanywebsites.com... are offering internet access from $9.95 a month. I wonder how this will be affected by Wi-Fi...

new topics

top topics

join