It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transgender Homecoming Queen at Northern Iowa

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

Steven Sanchez danced in gold sequined pumps and lip-synched Selena Gomez's "Like a Champion" and "Come and Get It" in becoming one of the first transgender students to be chosen a homecoming queen.

Sanchez, 21, said he was still in shock that his routine had won Friday's vote at the University of Northern Iowa in Cedar Falls.

"I could not believe it when it happened, and I still can't believe it," he told Reuters on Saturday. "I've come so far as a person."

Sanchez, who describes himself as gender non-conforming, is not the first transgender student to make homecoming history. Last month, 16-year-old Cassidy Lynn Campbell - formerly Lance Campbell - won the Marina High School's title in Huntington Beach, California.

University of Northern Iowa--Political correctness running wild?--Or college students just being ridiculous?

this is the most attractive photo on the Web currently.
edit on 10/06/2013 by Tusks because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   

I'd bet they had several really beautiful girls in the running. Guess it could be LGBT groups showing their muscle.

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
fascinating - if i had a rats behind, I would give it to you.

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
well its always been about a popularity contest. anytime in history.
maybe she just had a lot of friends.

for once i dont think it was a ploy to make some kind of PC statement, or a joke vote by students.
that im sure some will imply is happening.

i think the average highschooler these days in the US are pretty acceptive to differences. at least much more so then generations ago.
even my prom 11 years ago, we all opted out of even HAVING a king and queen beforehand. we knew it was outdated and dumb then, im sure these schools today can also see the dumbness of that tradition. its all just fun.
edit on 12-10-2013 by Bisman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Rikku
fascinating - if i had a rats behind, I would give it to you.

Now that's not nice. Must have hit a sore spot. And judging from your avatar, i think I know just where that spot is.

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   

I'd bet they had several really beautiful girls in the running. Guess it could be LGBT groups showing their muscle.

If it were LGBT groups showing their muscle, then the majority of judges would have been gay. Since a homecoming queen is elected by their peers, this person is either at a predominantly gay university, or the people who voted for him saw beyond the gender thing and voted for him because he put on an entertaining show.

Remember, gay people are 10% of the population at most. For something like this to happen, the 90% has to give their support too. Based on that, I'm going take it on face value and think that the people of this university are just open minded and this person is popular with everyone there.

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Tusks

hey! dont you talk about my avatar.

i'm not american so i dont understand the homecoming queen thing or the prom thing.
from what i've learned from american tv, it is pretty stupid and irrelevant.
i think i might be right.

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Hola,

I am sure a feminist will drop by any second and comment:

"Another example of a man taking a womans job from her."

While were on the topic...do you think there's such a thing as a trangendered feminist?
(Talk amongst yourselves...)

-Amitaba-
edit on 12-10-2013 by Eryiedes because: I Can

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Rikku
reply to post by Tusks

i'm not american so i dont understand the homecoming queen thing or the prom thing.

It's just a social thing. Similar to a popularity contest but really just a reason to get the kids together and have a dance. It's pretty much an outmoded concept in todays society but no less irrelevant than most of the things people do nowdays.

As far as the transgender thing goes, he's no less unusual than some of the "normal" homecoming queens I saw as a kid in school. It was about popularity for the most part.

It's also a bit of a poke in the eye for traditional thinking people but no more so than the in-your-face sexual politics of the last 3 decades.

edit on 12-10-2013 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Rikku
reply to post by Tusks

TV is stupid and irrelevant everywhere.

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Due to budget cuts here at the University, we have decided to cut the Homecoming Court in half. We will not be having a Seperate King and Queen but have chosen a King and Queen rolled into one....lol
Crowns off to this individual. May their rule be filled with joy and happiness. Just for goodness sakes remember to sit like a lady when in that dress or things might get a bit ugly.

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Im sure I can sum this up pretty nicely

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Okay,

Seriously now...just how ugly looking were the actual women in this school that he/she took the crown from? Were there other women at all...was it a mens prison?
Or was it the judges idea...did one of them lose a bet?
Is the winner somehow related to La Cosa Nostra or MS-13?
Are Christina Aguilera, Ru Paul or Nikki Minaj THAT desperate for cash to officiate there?
Someone should tell the winner that those estrogen treatment sessions they are paying top dollar for aren't working at all. They look pudgy enough that it's entirely possible they had bigger breasts as a man.
How cheesed off is the homecoming king about this?
Was it a double whammy...are they both homecoming queen AND king in that dress?

(Note to self: Scratch visiting Iowa off my bucket list)

-Amitaba-

edit on 12-10-2013 by Eryiedes because: Added Sarcasm

edit on 12-10-2013 by Eryiedes because: Hadda do it

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Eryiedes

Your question is worthy of a thread of its own, and it might be a good idea to start it just in case you inadvertently derail this thread.

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Tucket

Rikku
reply to post by Tusks

TV is stupid and irrelevant everywhere.

Is it? I think it's a pretty amazing invention, personally. And I think it's awesome how images and sound can travel across air waves (digital now too) and in real time, be displayed on a screen inside a box - or on a screen the width of a few mm. I think that is an astonishing achievement for the human species.

but if you sit in front of it all day and never look at all the other achievements we've made - not me personally, you understand - then well, thats pretty stupid.. and makes you irrelevant.

So, the humans who opt to engage in nothing more than one action out of a countless set of actions, OR the inventions of great minds...

I call it on the humans...

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ObedientSheeple

Not your type then?

never mind, you'll find a pretty transgendered person eventually.. plenty of sperm whales in the sea..

oO

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   

YOu are awesome and I wish I could get to know you better. I really love people who are like you. So refreshing to see such a beautiful attitude..

-- that emote does not do it.

edit on 12-10-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Eryiedes
Okay,

Seriously now...just how ugly looking were the actual women in this school that he/she took the crown from? Were there other women at all...was it a mens prison?
Or was it the judges idea...did one of them lose a bet?
Is the winner somehow related to La Cosa Nostra or MS-13?
Are Christina Aguilera, Ru Paul or Nikki Minaj THAT desperate for cash to officiate there?
Someone should tell the winner that those estrogen treatment sessions they are paying top dollar for aren't working at all. They look pudgy enough that it's entirely possible they had bigger breasts as a man.
How cheesed off is the homecoming king about this?
Was it a double whammy...are they both homecoming queen AND king in that dress?

(Note to self: Scratch visiting Iowa off my bucket list)

-Amitaba-

edit on 12-10-2013 by Eryiedes because: Added Sarcasm

edit on 12-10-2013 by Eryiedes because: Hadda do it

Someone will be along shortly to tell you that the reason you feel the way you do about this subject is because you secretly harbour transgender feelings.

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Tusks
University of Northern Iowa--Political correctness running wild?--Or college students just being ridiculous?

this is the most attractive photo on the Web currently.
edit on 10/06/2013 by Tusks because: (no reason given)

So, a person cannot decide to make a change in themselves without being critiqued as being PC by being allowed into a competition or as being a ridiculous student?

Really? Are you so certain of yourself so as to go about casting dispersions upon another? Are you being fair in calling into judgement this persons attractiveness (admittedly, this goes towards other posts further down the thread, not to the OP)? I don't know about you, but I do not find every woman I see to be attractive. I don't feel that it is my place to inform all of the people I don't find attractive how I feel. Nor do I take it upon myself to discuss it with others. This is simply genetics at play. I am not attracted to one, but to another.

Why can't this person have a fair chance at being found attractive by someone else without your public comments? Why can't they simply be left alone and allowed to live this crazy sh*thouse of a life we live, considering how crappy it can be?

Exactly who are you? How are you qualified, exactly, to make such criticism? I certainly wouldn't be so bold as to make such a statement about another.

I'm sure I'll be attacked for saying what I've said here. I'm fairly certain the OP will be defensive and strike out at me. But I believe we have the right to live and let live. I believe that someone has the right to BE, even though I may not understand.

So, go on. Flame away.

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   

It's not all about Beauty.

Werk it out Be you and Be proud!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join