It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

YOU are responsible for your own survivial - no one else.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I am tired of people complaining about the government shut down and impending default. Why are most people angry and frightened? No, not because out government is in debt to thousands of foreign lenders. Not because it could trigger a world war. Not because we are in the worst time financially in the history of our country (yes even moreso than the Great Depression).

No, people are angry and frightened because "we won't get our checks in the mail".

People living off the nanny state. Welfare, disability, healthcare, assistance for single mothers, and countless other BS plans that people mooch off of instead of becoming self sufficient.

Nobody has an excuse. I know a woman who has lost both her legs and an arm, is on kidney dialysis on a weekly basis, and still has the ability to create her own business on ebay making and selling jewelry. There is no excuse.

What is more is how reliant people are on this MONEY state when your money has no real value whatsoever. If the US government collapsed tomorrow do you know what your money would be worth? Nothing. You wouldn't be able to trade it for a roll of toilet paper so you might as well is it as such.

There are things that everyone should be doing and they are not. I don't care what problems you have, you should be doing what you can to be self sufficient. During the Great Depression, there were only 20% of people that weren't self sufficient and we know how bad it is. Today, estimates say that there are on 10% of people who ARE self sufficient. When the collapse comes, how bad do you think it is going to be this time?

But luckily there is time. A little bit at least. Things aren't going to go to turd overnight. It is going to be a steady decline. How do you become self sufficient? Well it starts first and foremost with knowledge.

1. Learn how to do basic skills on your own, without the need for outside help and technology.

Things like hunting, fishing, knitting, plumbing, electrical repair, vehicle repair, carpentry, and by god - COOKING. You would be surprised how many people actually don't know how to operate an oven or a stovetop because of their sheltered lives. You don't have to be an expert at these things - you just simply need to at least understand the concepts so if you ever have to do it you can. There are countless other things you can learn, this is only the tip of the iceberg.

2. Garden.

One simple word. Gardening. Plant things. Learn how things grow and grow them. If you don't like the things you grow you can sell them or give them away - just at least learn how to do it. Cold climate? Learn what can and can't grow in your areas. Learn how to grow indoors. Most of all - learn how to grow WITHOUT miracle grow and insecticides.

Oh sure, we have plenty of gardeners throughout the world, but how many of them would actually cut the jib when it came to organic gardening. It is a whole different ballgame when your plants don't grow to abnormal sizes and the bugs just won't stay away. Gardening is the most advanced and necessary skill that any human could ever learn.

3. Food Preservation

Learn how to store your foods. Canning, jarring, bagging - whatever it takes. Your grown food and storage is no good if it goes bad in a month. Most of all, learn how to store all food WITHOUT a freezer. Learn how to make a cold storage cellar. Dehydrate things. Freeze dry things if you can afford it. Just know what you are doing so you can make your things last.

4. First Aid Kit

Make sure you have one. A good one. Have all medications that you may ever need and keep them away. Have the basic things needed for minor surgery. Know how to do it. Know the rights and wrongs of wound repair and how to create a sterile area for working. Worst case scenario, know how to do a proper amputation. You don't have to have a PhD to know how to do the basics of medical treatment. Learn it and make sure you know it.

5. Prepare for the Worst

You may know how to do everything but unless you are prepared, what happens to your family if something happens to you. Survival is all about being prepared. Know the skills, have a backup plan, and have adequate stores packed away in case of a worst case scenario. Great, you know how to garden but what happens if Yellowstone blows? Nobody is going to gardening for a good while. Know your limitations and know that you are only prepared as much as your weakest area. Fix your weak spots and know what you are doing in ANY scenario.

These are just simple things. Of course, being self sufficient does not provide for the luxuries of buying new cell phones and video games that welfare provides. Trust me, I have seen the system used and abused and for every one person that might have a valid reason for having these programs to aid them, there are 3 that are lazy individuals who want everything in life handed to them.

When the system falls, just like the Great Depression, it will be the people who are dependent on others that die first. Starvation is not a fun way to go. Neither is infection.

Some people might not like my opinions on some of these issues, but I'm not one to hide behind a lie. You are not safe if you depend on government. The only person that you should be depending on for survival is the only person you can trust in any situation - yourself.
edit on 12-10-2013 by TheNewRevolution because: spelling

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I do all those things you listed for survival. Just finished canning the last of this years harvest. What angers and frightens me is my reaction to those that are not getting their ebt cards re-up'd (SP?) What angers and frightens me is what I'll have to do to ensure my family survives.

I am also hearing that as of midnight WalMart stopped accepting ebt cards as a form of payment. In Mass anyway. If someone knows this to be true could they comment on it?
edit on 12-10-2013 by BlastedCaddy because: just cuz

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Excellent suggestions and advice.. S+F.

TheNewRevolution
1. Learn how to do basic skills on your own, without the need for outside help and technology.

Things like hunting, fishing, knitting, plumbing, electrical repair, vehicle repair, carpentry, and by god - COOKING. You would be surprised how many people actually don't know how to operate an oven or a stovetop because of their sheltered lives. You don't have to be an expert at these things - you just simply need to at least understand the concepts so if you ever have to do it you can. There are countless other things you can learn, this is only the tip of the iceberg.

That's the great thing about the internet.. you can learn all these things for free.. get advice from countless people across the globe.. you don't have to wait for Grandpa Ben to teach you a thing or two about living outside..

TheNewRevolution
2. Garden.

One simply word. Gardening. Plant things. Learn how things grow and grow them. If you don't like the things you grow you can sell them or give them away - just at least learn how to do it. Cold climate? Learn what can and can't grow in your areas. Learn how to grow indoors. Most of all - learn how to grow WITHOUT miracle grow and insecticides.

See all those seeds on the left? That whole seed bank cost me 12 bucks on eBay. You can expect it will come in handy, when food is basically currency in the future of the U.S..

Learn about food. I have a thread going in my sig that could teach you a few things.

TheNewRevolution
Oh sure, we have plenty of gardeners throughout the world, but how many of them would actually cut the jib when it came to organic gardening. It is a whole different ballgame when your plants don't grow to abnormal sizes and the bugs just won't stay away. Gardening is the most advanced and necessary skill that any human could ever learn.

You will learn more than just gardening, when you learn to garden. Necessary skill? Couldn't agree more.

TheNewRevolution
4. First Aid Kit

Make sure you have one. A good one. Have all medications that you may ever need and keep them away. Have the basic things needed for minor surgery. Know how to do it. Know the rights and wrongs of wound repair and how to create a sterile area for working. Worst case scenario, know how to do a proper amputation. You don't have to have a PhD to know how to do the basics of medical treatment. Learn it and make sure you know it.

Once again, great advice.. and once again.. all the information you need is just a Google search (or ATS search) away.

TheNewRevolution
Prepare for the Worst

You may know how to do everything but unless you are prepared, what happens to your family if something happens to you. Survival is all about being prepared. Know the skills, have a backup plan, and have adequate stores packed away in case of a worst case scenario. Great, you know how to garden but what happens if Yellowstone blows? Nobody is going to gardening for a good while. Know your limitations and know that you are only prepared as much as your weakest area. Fix your weak spots and know what you are doing in ANY scenario.

Everytime the power goes out.. (which has already happened several times these last couple months.. for me) I assess my preparedness, in that, "What if the power wasn't coming back on?", "Am I prepared enough?".

The answer is always, and will always be no.. but after investing in a few skills and helpful material items, I become more prepared each time.

It is approaching. Don't wait to prepare yourselves.

Regards,

-AA

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I'm too lazy for that...If the SHTF i'll just steal from someone who's been Prepping for years...And Yes, If I need to kill them to survive i will..

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I totally agree, OP.

Take a look at this:

boston.cbslocal.com...

A lot of people on food stamps got a rude awakening today. It's a supposed computer glitch but it feels more like a dry run for something to me.

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TheNewRevolution

Among our circle of friends, we jokingly call it prepping for the zombie apocalypse. Because if you are ready for that, then you're ready for anything.

Nice thread

SnF

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I want Gods kingdom ( government) to come anyways, so the human governments going away is fine...

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   

I gave you a flag to promote discussion but no star and stopped reading after the first phrase, you seem to be clueless...

I am tired of people complaining about the government shut down and impending default. Why are most people angry and frightened?

So people pay taxes and comply with government regulations but should have no right to demand that the government executes its functions, be critical of how he executes it or how itself complies to the rule of law and in general behaves so as to reflects the morality of the society it governs.

edit on 12-10-2013 by Panic2k11 because: grammatic correction

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Panic2k11

So people pay taxes and comply with government regulations but should have no right to demand that the government executes its functions, be critical of how he executes it or how itself complies to the rule of law and in general behaves so as to reflects the morality of the society it governs.

Most of the people who are pissed off are the ones who are going to be losing a check in the mail. There is no reason to sugarcoat it because it is true. Otherwise, if you are not receiving assistance from this government, what honestly does this government do for you that you need it running at 100% to resume your daily life?

What's more is the fact that the government has chosen to shut down a selective group of services that most relates to the people. Are these the actions of a government that you want to continue to "execute its functions"?

The response should be simple. If the government does not comply to the will of the people, yours, his, hers, anybody's then you respond with noncompliance. You stop paying taxes. You stop following the illegal laws. You start representing yourself how you feel you should be represented. I have done this for years now and Uncle Sam can continue to kiss my arse.

But what is the difference between me any most others? Balls. I have balls. Literally and figuratively. The moment people start to grow a set and fight back against the unrepresentative government with noncompliance is the moment that we can start being free again. Your morality is affected by your own actions. If you want to let Washington dictate who we are as a people, as a society, then by all means continue to pay your taxes and tow the line.

The rest of us will be here in what is supposed to be a Republic, not a mob rule, and we will not comply until the government is once again representative of the people.

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
survival is more than just taking care of yourself.
your survival depends on more than just you.

you can plan for it and you should try to take of yourself and not be lazy.

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Most of the people who are pissed off are the ones who are going to be losing a check in the mail. There is no reason to sugarcoat it because it is true. Otherwise, if you are not receiving assistance from this government, what honestly does this government do for you that you need it running at 100% to resume your daily life?

You again seem to see life and society in a very simplistic way and in it show that you do not understand the function of a government (theoretically since reality does not match at all the expectations and aspirations of many citizens, but that is a different discussion).

You started by stating that you don't understand why people are PO about the shutdown, I really can't relate at all with your inability to understand that:

- People have not only seen in general a failing of government to match their aspirations (from basic security to international relations) but can see that the system is being subverted and degraded only because of partisan bickering that should not occur at this stage after legislation and debate about it has passed. People should be PO...

- If society did not need the government to function at 100% (it depends how you define 100%) then the government would normally be wasting resources in unnecessary areas and functions right ? I could understand that some of the spending and functions may not match your needs or priorities but your view does not seem to be the majority as represented by the government. It is your right to be PO about that but not to refute the same right to those that are PO because they do not share your view about government and see the the shutdown as negatively affecting them.

You stop paying taxes. You stop following the illegal laws. You start representing yourself how you feel you should be represented. I have done this for years now and Uncle Sam can continue to kiss my arse.

That is your right but you should be realistic and see that you are a minority and by acting in that way you may go beyond civil disobedience into a situation that you become a criminal in the eyes of the law, especially if you fail to comply with obligations and requirements that the state can impose on you.

But what is the difference between me any most others? Balls. I have balls. Literally and figuratively.

Well some courage is required especially if one crosses the line into criminality, but at the same time you continue to be a citizen and benefits from state functions. Most people can't function as an outlaw (outside of the law, or even risk being cataloged as problematic) from need for certifications, documentation and other basic things they are state dependent, more so if they have or expect to have children. Especially in an oppressive society that to some degree the US has been turned into.

In any case I share you pain regarding government (I am an anarcho-communist) and a strong distaste from the general corruption going on in the US Government (that goes beyond the Federal level). I just pointed out that you shouldn't chastise others that exert the right to protest the failing of the political system or hope that overnight your view will be in the majority. You should also reserve some consideration for those that have been trapped into the system and have really no way out...

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Your message can't be shouted loud enough or too frequently.

People have to understand that their survival isn't the responsibility of the government and they are going to be in for one hell of a surprise if they are sitting around waiting for the government to come to their rescue.

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Panic2k11

I think you are speaking intelligently about a well functioning and managed government. I think the OP is speaking of the time when the government has gone rogue and or gone belly up.

Then survival is a time when the government's only role is to steal from the survivors to keep the upper class upper.

I could be wrong now.
But I don't think so.

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
i believe im responsible if my main gardens in mexico and another country father away is overriden with weeds, or succumbs to other lacks of care; and if us drops a drone bomb or a ton of nuclear waste on it, i am still responsible because my tax dollars supported that worldwide destruction, however inadvertent my intentions

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

I think the OP is speaking of the time when the government has gone rogue and or gone belly up.

Then survival is a time when the government's only role is to steal from the survivors to keep the upper class upper.

No, I stopped reading on his first phrase, as he failed not only comprehend but to recognize the right of fellow citizen whine about the shutdown...

As for the way a government works, even if it hasn't gone belly up I don't see a distinction all contemporaneous forms of government work to move benefits from the common citizen to the upper class. All governments work as a central point for groups of interests what distinguishes governments is the way they are elected/selected and the level of representativity all groups have on the nation's governance/policies.

Any type of survival is a short term goal, it is nothing that one should aim to become constant...

edit on 12-10-2013 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
The problem with this is that it is virtually impossible for most people to be self sufficient in today's society. Many people have no land, many have no time, and many don't even have a dollar to spare.

It's easy for you to sit there and criticize everyone else, but unless you are willing to come out against our corporate/capitalistic system and growth obsession and advocate decreasing our population and moving back to most people living in small towns and farms, our society will never survive a catastrophe.

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   

CB328
The problem with this is that it is virtually impossible for most people to be self sufficient in today's society. Many people have no land, many have no time, and many don't even have a dollar to spare.

I disagree with the tone of your first statement. Total self-sufficiency isn't really required; but everything you can do to limit unfavorable economic transactions, gives you more personal power by keeping greenbacks in your own wallet. And for now, money is a store of value. So, even if the apocalypse never happens in your lifetime, you still benefit by making preparations.

You can make your life better and prepp at the same time, just by eliminating processed food from your budget. Seriously. Eating out and store bought food are the two easiest categories of household spending that you can reduce rapidly. You can make your own burritos and freeze them. 20 bucks worth of ingredients will give you 8 hearty servings, and keep you from eating out. Same with spaghetti sauce. You'd be surprised how much better a home-cooked meal tastes.

Generally, a meal you cook from scratch will cost between a quarter and a half of a ready-to-eat item from a grocery. It will cost a quarter to a sixteenth of the price of food in a restaurant.

Now, if you learn how to can your own spaghetti sauce, you have the same financial savings, as well as survival food if/when the lights go out. And a home cooked meal, which tastes infinitely better than something nuked in a restaurant's kitchen microwave for nine bucks and served with a three dollar soda.

the same with gardening. The herbs you need for making chicken stock or chicken noodle soup are herbs you grow best in your window-sill. Community gardening is all the rage right now, and for a few bucks (sometimes free!) you can get a large garden plot and the free advice of a master gardener in your 'hood. The staples of cooking from scratch are carrots, parsley, and onions. All of them grow practically anywhere in the US.

Even if you just can whatever produce you buy at the store, it is still cheaper in this brave new economy to preserve it yourself than to buy cans of food from wally world. My wife helped a friend who grew nothing but tomatoes this year. Together they canned something like 8 gallons of tomato sauces; everything from spaghetti sauce (there it is again) to tomato soup and pizza sauce. They re-used my wife's old jars. I think they spent maybe 20 bucks, for 32 quarts of products (a year's supply for two families).

All that may sound trivial in your life; but food is a third of our household budget, since we have many kids and hangers-on who live with us. And, I have food and water for every one of them, for SIXTY days. Maybe some homemade beer to boot, but they don't have to know about it until I'm ready to share.

Hunting season is here, and even though we're still in archery, I"m well on my way to filling out my tag this year. That could be maybe 200 lbs. of venison. Which cans excellently. The main problem is that we keep in mostly in the freezers because we hope to eat it before the power goes out.

Next month I will be missing one weekend of deer season to help a buddy slaughter his hogs. He will pay me in meat. I'm hoping to learn enough that I can dress out a wild hog, which are over=running my part of the state.

As to your original statement, all I can say is the words I was raised on:

"Can't never could."

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
When the OP is 75 and has worked hard all his/her life, I hope they'll re-read what they posted here.

Please feel free, though to go live off the land in Alaska or Siberia when you're an old codger in a wheelchair, crippled by working for the man all your life.

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   

beezzer

Among our circle of friends, we jokingly call it prepping for the zombie apocalypse. Because if you are ready for that, then you're ready for anything.

Nice thread

SnF

Did you see the real zombies created by taking new zombie drug just hit from Russia it starts eating your flesh it's terrible. Zombies have started.

The Bot

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Soloprotocol
I'm too lazy for that...If the SHTF i'll just steal from someone who's been Prepping for years...And Yes, If I need to kill them to survive i will..

You and people like you won't last long. Preppers don't just save food. They actually prepare for hostile situations. People who think killing to get what they need will be killed as a matter of natural selection.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join