It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help with selecting vintage tractor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I've got an opportunity to obtain a Farmall A (not super) for about $1500AUD, restored about 4 or 5 years ago with some parts included, but my other option is to give my father some money and let him select a tractor from an auction, I really like the old 40's and 50's Farmall designs.

My father collects old tractors, his got about 17 now and the wife said I can choose ONE, I want it just as a show pony, maybe some mowing and take it out on tractor treks when i'm back in the country (I'm currently in China)

So if you were me, would you get it or wait and get something abit bigger like a Super C or Super H, I really wanted to find a CUB but seems their fairly rare in Australia for some reason ?

Thanks.

edit on 11-10-2013 by crackerjack because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-10-2013 by crackerjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by crackerjack

I find ATS to be rather lacking on the automotive side, and have a feeling not too many here are tractor lovers. I've always loved tractors but don't know the first thing about them even though I used a few for work when I was younger. I would suggest finding a discussion board dedicated to it. I also want to give you a bump, even though as I said, I am clueless.

I also don't really get the question. Are you saying that you found a tractor that you kind of want and it's a good price, but your Dad could find you something you like better or cheaper or both at auction? I can understand being hesitant about that because auctions aren't guaranteed to have what you want, and not always for the price you want either. Then again if your Dad has 17 of 'em I would trust him.

If it's for show, get what you really want. If need be save up more money or put in the time restoring it. I think it would behoove you to trust your Dad since he's your Dad, knows what you want, and has apparently been around the hayfield a time or two. Either way good luck and post some pictures. I like it when people have a passion for things a little outside the norm. Might be a great bonding experience with your Father doing some of the restoration together too.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   

That is spectacularly cool of you to want to do that for your Father.
Of all things to choose in this world, yours is an amazing choice.

Does he have a Ford 1600 Tractor with Bucket Loader on front and a
917 Flail Mower(hammerknife) on back?

If not, get him one of those. It will put the Farm All in its place.

Whatever decision you make, It will be a good one. Best to you, Wildmanimal

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I'd take the farmall. You really don't need a bigger one for what you want to do. I have a ford 2600 with a loader, snowblower and a bunch of other equipment. It is a necessary part of my life. I also have a 47 McCormic cub with equipment. I have to put the tires I bought three years ago on it, it has been just sitting under the carport.. Then I can start using it. It's got electric start and a crank. Great for a SHTF scenario.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Re Read your thread.
All Farm All Tractors are now "Show Pieces"

The Super Farm All C is a classic.

The Farm All A is older, so your dad might appreciate that era.

Bottom Line, Fresh Red Paint, and accurate Lettering decals make them rock.

They are all good, so which model you decide on is a matter of personal taste,
and picking one that is not yet in your Dads collection.

I will still wager that the Ford is a more Useful Tractor.

If you are still uncertain,go with a John Deere

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   
All I can contribute is never buy a jinma, damn thing is cheap, cheap parts but breaks when you use it like a tractor should be used. part #'s often have 2-3 diff parts for same # and I even have had to send photos to China just to get the right part.

next one will be a John deere or a massy, something I can fix with a hammer and crowbar

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   

massey ferguson

www.machinio.com...

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I really want something that's complete and is mostly in a restored condition, that's why this tractor has attracted me, I know the guy and I know the work his put in it, plus financially it's better than to buy a wreck and pour large amounts of money and time in it and get a low resale value.

I want something around the farm I can come to and play with, learn and for my son's to have some interest as well.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Wildmanimal

His got 2 bucket tractors, I just want something that's not that common.
In Australia every collector and enthusiast has gone nuts over TEA20 and TEA30 Fergies, GREAT TRACTORS but they don't do much for me.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Hey,You can find few ones from manufacturers like Iseki, Kubota, etc, which are not so old on trademachines.com.... Price range may vary inbetween $1000 to $10,000. They ship to almost all parts of the world. Best of luck!

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
When buying, make sure that your tractor performs all the basic tasks properly, so check the steering, gears, forward and reverse, lights, indicators etc. Have a look at the condition of the electrical components, breaks, oil, clutch and make sure that they are in good condition.

posted on Aug, 20 2021 @ 07:57 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

new topics

top topics

join