It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

But they're still being paid???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I think there is no shortage of threads discussing situations where Uncle Sam is paying more to mothball a place than they are to operate it. Or how they are closing down things to make life harder on Americans.

Here is something to consider: the employees who aren't working are still being paid. I mean, sure some of it may be retro'd once the shutdown ends....but they will still be paid. Even though they are at home sitting on the couch.

How many of you could have your employer close down shop but still pay you? I mean, maybe some have "nice" bosses who would do that....but it is not smart business.

And that is really the point here: its not smart business. I run a business owned by someone else, and a common thing I will tell someone is, "That is an irresponsible use of ownership funds". In this case, you and I are the "ownership". That is OUR money that they are paying themselves to not work by their own choice. And they are also paying all the paychecks for the furloughed employees. THey'll make sure that all the payroll and benefits is covered, no matter what.

Meanwhile, what about the housekeepers at one of the hotels that services the Capital? How about the dude selling hot dogs on the street? Do you think THEY are still being paid?

I see ATS in particular, but Americans in general, beginning a movement of the working class. This should have been expected as the disparity in classes grows, there will be more poor to feel disaffected. It was a stupid plan by whoever concocted it, and it would behoove the wealthier to figure out ways to fix this problem (or run the risk of the disaffected deciding to just take their wealth in an uprising).

So pay attention to this. There are working class people suffering for this shutdown. But the ones causing it have their own umbrella. Let them eat cake, indeed.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Business wise, I see that closing down the government is a really bad idea in the long term.

This, Obamacare...it's like the people in charge really REALLY want this to crash, it's plain obvious.

I, for one, believe that keeping people out of homelessness and poverty makes a better society.
To give them the chance of becoming good working citizens is more profitable for the middle and lower high class in the long run...

But probably not for the top 0.1%.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

"That is an irresponsible use of ownership funds".
No further expansion is neccssary after we see it costing many times as much to keep something of ours closed and guarded for an agenda. Petty: and patently against the wording of the shutdown's purpose.
The other side of the coin is the WH Dog Groomer (yeah I'll capitalize it for this amount) still on duty at 102k/year? I'm glad to give you your first F&S because we're not 'up to here': it's long past descended into political idiocy for nobody to effectively ignore.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   

The thing is, as soon as it became clear these people were going to be paid many of them suddenly became essential. I know that the same night that bill made it through the House 90% of the DoD were told to report back to work.. So a large portion of the government are working right now, even though it may be weeks before they see any pay for that work.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Well just for fun, there are some of us actually working and not getting paid (but you are right, it probably will be retro'd). Still, not fun being pegged as an "essential" employee and knowing that you are not going to get even the Federal minimum wage for the hours worked.

I was paid through the 30th of September. With obligations and such, it was not a pretty paycheck today. I do what I do because I love what I do and there are not many opportunities in the private sector to repair and maintain radio systems, radar systems and the automation systems that serve our airline industry.

Though this has me thinking that I may find refuge elsewhere...cheers to a 30% paycheck while working full time!

Please note, this isn't a sad story. I knew what I was getting into and that there was a possibility of this happening. I am not advocating I deserve anything except for the time that I was asked to work. In this case, I put in 80 hours and was only paid for 40 hours. In the private world, that would land a company a lawsuit; but alas I am not in the private world.
edit on 11-10-2013 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by theMediator

I am not certain Obama ever planned to really implement ACA. If anyone who could do math signed off, they should have their abacus taken away.

I am actually opposed to government funded anything. But I could choke down a more common sense approach that forced the people and the insurance companies and the providers to all meet somewhere int he middle. Instead of furthering the class warfare by sticking a big, cold thermometers up the peoples behind.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   

ownbestenemy

Well just for fun, there are some of us actually working and not getting paid (but you are right, it probably will be retro'd). Still, not fun being pegged as an "essential" employee and knowing that you are not going to get even the Federal minimum wage for the hours worked.

I was paid through the 30th of September. With obligations and such, it was not a pretty paycheck today. I do what I do because I love what I do and there are not many opportunities in the private sector to repair and maintain radio systems, radar systems and the automation systems that serve our airline industry.

Though this has me thinking that I may find refuge elsewhere...cheers to a 30% paycheck while working full time!

Please note, this isn't a sad story. I knew what I was getting into and that there was a possibility of this happening. I am not advocating I deserve anything except for the time that I was asked to work. In this case, I put in 80 hours and was only paid for 40 hours. In the private world, that would land a company a lawsuit; but alas I am not in the private world.

I tried to be very clear: this is about regular folks getting screwed over by congressmen. And about our money being misspent paying all the folks who aren't working to not work.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   

I wasn't trying to say otherwise, I should have also been clear that I am in agreement with that stance. To know that my "support staff" will get paid while they did not actually work is bothersome. While good and honest people, the fact that they haven't worked at all and will be afforded the potential of being paid does go against the very notion of good business.

I was merely highlighting that it sucks being demanded to work (that is the essence of an 'excepted; or essential' employee) with fear of being considered AWOL and not know if you will be paid for the work that was done. As I said, I chose this life of potential slavery (as it has become for the past two weeks).

It is however, a moral buster for those of us who have put in time to hear that our glorious leaders will pay those who have been deemed 'non-essential' to be paid retroactively. They didn't work -- they shouldn't receive any pay; that is, as I have said, the life that they chose.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   

“It’s really cruel to tell workers they’ll receive back pay once the government opens and then refuse to open the government,” Reid said on the Senate floor, suggesting that House Republicans have authorized a “paid vacation” for furloughed workers.

That was Senator Reid and I only agree to the partial quote that is referred in the later portion. The first part is just politics; it isn't cruel to the workers that are furloughed; it is cruel to those that are expected to work without pay.

I agree with the last part and it does, in all honesty, nag in the back of my head; why am I showing up to work ensuring all systems are go when I could just stay home and get paid anyway? Bah this is so jacked up.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Here's what we do: after they get back from their paid vacation, we should go on a National Work Strike! Our money pays for them to serve us, so let's cut them off; since they ain't serving us properly. They have this attitude like our money is free money. #Time4aRealityCheck
edit on 11-10-2013 by WonderBoi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by WonderBoi

why should i damage my business just to protest them???

Passive aggressive is the wimps way out. I say look them in the eyes when you address them.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
They should be paying you guys for having to put up with their z grade reality show of complete #ups!

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   

ownbestenemy
...In this case, I put in 80 hours and was only paid for 40 hours. In the private world, that would land a company a lawsuit; but alas I am not in the private world.

Believe it or not - the private world is becoming more and more like that.
I've been doing the same for many years (not ALL the time - but regularly)...
I am a private sector "contractor". As such - I am only get paid for the finished (acceptable) product. And - there is no guarantee that I will get paid. Much less - in a reasonable time frame.
No guarantee of work tomorrow or next week or a month or two away... Just keep plugging away, and hope everything works out.
Sorry for your inconvenience. Hope it does not grow into a bigger problem for you.

ETA: That may have seemed insensitive to you. I apologize. I do agree that it is a bummer - a real morale changer to be on the receiving end of such a BOGUS shafting. Best regards.
edit on 10/12/2013 by WanDash because: Furtherance

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I was thinking the same thing, it's a lose lose situation.

new topics

top topics

join