It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Think YOU Have It Tough? Check This Out

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I came across something today which really made me think about how spoiled and ungrateful most of us can be. We whine and complain, or feel sorry for ourselves because we have had a bit of bad luck, or whatever....but the fact is, that we don't realize how good we have it. We don't appreciate what we have, and instead, complain about what we don't have.

How about if you didn't have HALF YOUR BODY???

Would you lie around in bed all day and feel sorry for yourself? Or maybe just be bitter and hateful and mad at the world?

Well this is a story about an incredible woman named Rosemarie Siggins who really has only half a body. Not only does she NOT sit around feeling sorry for herself, but despite her condition, she takes care of her Father and brother, both with mental disabilities. She cooks, cleans, drives (oh....she also is a mechanic and works on the family vehicle when it breaks down LOL)

She is also married and has a child....

She is an inspiration, and watching her, I feel ashamed that I complain at ALL! Watch her story, and I promise, you will think twice before you complain again!

edit on 10/11/2013 by StealthyKat because: sp

edit on 10/11/2013 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I haven't watched the vid yet, but what an awesome story. I think we all need to be reminded of these folks occasionally. A little humble pie, if you will.

Kind of like this young lady...

Not quite the same as the lady in your OP, but what strikes me about her, is that bubbly go getter personality she has.

S&F.
edit on 10/11/2013 by Klassified because: oops

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

That's what I mean Klassified...another great example! I believe the only limits are the ones we place upon ourselves. We take so much for granted, and sometimes we need to be reminded how good we really have it...thanks for sharing that!

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
What can happen to the mind can be even more disabling. Some people go mentally insane, have massive panic attacks due to overwhelming stress (which are worse than the average heart attack,) slip into a coma, become so severely depressed that they slowly die or deliberately commit suicide. I of course do not mean to downplay the hardship which comes from a physical disability, but with the right attitude and support such a person can still live a mentally healthy life. A couple famous examples of dealing remarkably with serious physical restraints would be Roy L. Dennis (of whom the 1985 movie "Mask" was based) who suffered from craniodiaphyseal dysplasia (a severe bone-altering disorder) and who maintained a glowing, positive attitude about life, and Terry Fox (who ran 3,339 miles for 143 days to raise money for cancer research while using an artificial leg.) Likewise, people can overcome severe psychological disorders to achieve great things too. I only mean to point out that physical disabilities are not automatically the worst one can have. Imagine living with dementia or severe schizophrenia.

So yes, materially we have things good in modern society. We have skilled doctors, psychologists and lots of pills. Bear in mind, these things do not always help and sometimes make things far worse. But overall, we are most fortunate. But walking among the many spoiled, should-be-smiling middle class or otherwise relatively well-off people on our well-paved streets and well-maintained parks are living horror stories with pleasant smiles and "how-do-you-dos?" which conceal a great deal than you're seeing. Just saying.
edit on 11-10-2013 by LoneCloudHopper2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I don't have time to watch this right now but wow! Some people just amaze me with their resilience and will. Certainly gives the rest of us who don't have to deal with such issues inspiration.
I did discover in my own life that without adversity I tend to wither and get complacent. It's when things get really bad I find that inner resource to keep going no matter what. When you realize how precious and short life is you make the most of what you have.
I really admire those like her and you SK who don't let their troubles keep them down.
Go Saints!

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   

LoneCloudHopper2
What can happen to the mind can be even more disabling. Some people go mentally insane, have massive panic attacks due to overwhelming stress (which are worse than the average heart attack,) slip into a coma, become so severely depressed that they slowly die or deliberately commit suicide. I of course do not mean to downplay the hardship which comes from a physical disability, but with the right attitude and support such a person can still live a mentally healthy life. A couple famous examples of dealing remarkably with serious physical restraints would be Roy L. Dennis (of whom the 1985 movie "Mask" was based) who suffered from craniodiaphyseal dysplasia (a severe bone-altering disorder) and who maintained a glowing, positive attitude about life, and Terry Fox (who ran 3,339 miles for 143 days to raise money for cancer research while using an artificial leg.) Likewise, people can overcome severe psychological disorders to achieve great things too. I only mean to point out that physical disabilities are not automatically the worst one can have. Imagine living with dementia or severe schizophrenia.

So yes, materially we have things good in modern society. We have skilled doctors, psychologists and lots of pills. Bear in mind, these things do not always help and sometimes make things far worse. But overall, we are most fortunate. But walking among the many spoiled, should-be-smiling middle class or otherwise relatively well-off people on our well-paved streets and well-maintained parks are living horror stories with pleasant smiles and "how-do-you-dos?" which conceal a great deal than you're seeing. Just saying.
edit on 11-10-2013 by LoneCloudHopper2 because: (no reason given)

That is absolutely true....but I was talking about someone with a physical disability in my OP, so that's why I didn't go into anything else. Some of the most creative minds are those who suffer mental illness. The point I am trying to make here is that when I see people such as this, it makes me want to do better. They inspire me.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Yep....when I saw her working on that car...she must have MASSIVE upper body strength...she maneuvers around like that using only arm strength! I am just blown away by it! When you have time, come back and watch it....she's incredible!
Whooooo Dat!! *wink*

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
This is truly a fantastic thread. I nearly cried watching the X-Factor contestant, she was just so bubbly, and not just superficial bubbly, she had a DEPTH to her, you could see strength in her that words can't express.

The OP's video, I got 15 minutes in, that was very inspirational too. It really DOES make you think, how much more capable we are than many of us realize.

We all are handicap in some ways.....whether it be physically, mentally, emotionally, financially, or whatever....and whether it be mild or extreme. I think life is one huge realization that the world keeps spinning, with or without you, whether you are in pain or not. We are all only here for a short period of time, and it really DOES matter how we live here, what stance we take....it DOES. It makes ALL the difference.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I don't care for American Idol or anything else. I rather shoot the TV then watch them. However both stories are inspirational. I had seen the first. One thing I have come to learn about people with bubbly personalities. They come back. Its hard to keep someone with an attitude like that down.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   

supermarket2012
This is truly a fantastic thread. I nearly cried watching the X-Factor contestant, she was just so bubbly, and not just superficial bubbly, she had a DEPTH to her, you could see strength in her that words can't express.

The OP's video, I got 15 minutes in, that was very inspirational too. It really DOES make you think, how much more capable we are than many of us realize.

We all are handicap in some ways.....whether it be physically, mentally, emotionally, financially, or whatever....and whether it be mild or extreme. I think life is one huge realization that the world keeps spinning, with or without you, whether you are in pain or not. We are all only here for a short period of time, and it really DOES matter how we live here, what stance we take....it DOES. It makes ALL the difference.

You are so right! I look at life as we are in a huge play....acted out daily..... and we are each actors in this play. What we do, no matter how great or how insignificant, affects another person, and what they do next, and so on. We each have a role to play, and we each have specific talents. We should look at what we LACK....we should look at our strengths, and how to best use them to the benefit not just of ourselves, but for the greater good. These people seem to inherently know this....and that is what makes them special.

top topics

join