It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Workplace Bullying

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   

DocHolidaze
reply to post by sonnny1

I did the same thing with 2 kids and it took me 5 years to get out, best of luck to u brother.

Thanks Doc.

I sure as hell need it.

The worst thing is a owner who can wash his hands like Pontius Pilate, not see what is taking place, and willing to lose one of his best employees because he forgot that being hands is the ONLY way his business will continue to grow. Bad management, who are all best of friends are only loyal to themselves, are only willing to make themselves look good, or protect themselves at the price of losing good employees.

WHY would an excellent employee leave a growing business, take a worse job, willing to lose benefits , with 6 years under his belt?

Thats what the owner will have to think about. I dont plan on giving a notice either. Companies dont give employees two week notices before they fire them.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

if you read my earlier post in this thread i didn't quit I just gave them a reason to fire me

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   

AthlonSavage
reply to post by SPYvsSPY

Its a sad situation that power corrupts everyone. These people who went over edge should of just left and looked for other work. I remember reading recently a psychological profile of control freak managers, that their psychological profile is very similar to socio path psyhco paths. I used to work for a guy who displayed a socio path psyhco personality. It is a concern as I wonder how many of these people are in positions of authority playing their games at the expense of other peoples health, just so they can get their weekly power dose trip.
edit on 11-10-2013 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)
Well said. When companies merge and things change from the *this is how we always did it before* some take it personal. HR is a joke. They are not going to support the average worker. You are a human resource and that is it.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Know what I hate worse than workplace bullies? Workplace morons. You know, the ones who are never on time to meetings, ignore important emails while replying "Thx" to all the unimportant nonsense, don't complete the basic functions of their job, and piss off everyone around. That guy that no one can stand because he acts like someone no one can stand.

If the bully would just bully this guy, no one would care.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
This was one of my concerns.

edit on 2-9-2010 by SPYvsSPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   

DocHolidaze
reply to post by sonnny1

if you read my earlier post in this thread i didn't quit I just gave them a reason to fire me

Problem is this.

They WONT fire me, till they think they have someone in place. I will have to miserably wait, or do what I need to do to protect MY sanity.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Yeah. Morons also.

I was told that my counterpart does exactly the same amount of work I do. I laughed. Our machines have counters on them. They dont lie. The manager is clueless, cause if he really wanted to know what was being done, he could read them. The proof is there.

And Morons? How about the guy who walks away from the job, because its giving him a headache.

Seriously.

He just "walked" away from the Department and did what ever he wanted to do. No manager to tell him to do his Job. Cause management are all morons too.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Wrong, start at the beginning, read and then listen to the video.

Listen, you claim to be a victim of bullying in your copy repair job, what have you, you leave us with this ominous message and a stupid cartoon about bullying.

How about, if you are going to share, actually share with everyone. You want to speak about bullying, then describe everything as it happened, your side and theirs. Let the forum (reader) judge whether or not you were actually bullied.

Don't make people take your word for it. That's not fair to them. If you are asking people for their input on an issue they should have all the facts to make a judgement to form their own opinions.

Far too often, people simply state they were bullied. But we don't get specific details. Why?

If you are bringing it up then you are sharing, so share the entire story. Let's hear exactly what happened. Perhaps we don't see this as an issue at all, perhaps it isn't at all bullying, but you should let people decide that for themselves, not have to take your word for it.

Odd how all the victims of bullying simply want us to take it in without getting all the facts. Manipulative if you ask me.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   

boncho

Odd how all the victims of bullying simply want us to take it in without getting all the facts. Manipulative if you ask me.

Come now B.

Obviously the guy is having a hard time at his Job. I can sympathize with it.

If he doesn't want to share those facts, we shouldn't force him to nor should we lambast him because of it.

Manipulating him with guilt to do it isn't cool.

As for the bulling, This thread was right on time for me. I have had a bad week at work. I took off today cause im sick of the stupidity.

In 17 years I never was written up for anything. Model employee.In a matter of 6 months, 3 times. Bullying does happen.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

I stand by firm on this one Sonny. I have staff members all the time coming to me and complaining and I make them march over and speak their mind to the people they think are bullying and it works. Half the time it is people who simply do not want to vocalize their thoughts and et boundaries. The instigator is not 100% innocent, obviously, but I have too many simply looking for sympathy, I don't believe without a full explanation.

The fact you (generalized "you") are willing to share but not share says it right there

I find "bullying" happens in my workplace when we get people in and they feel their position/role is threatened. Everyone sees themselves as something. Maybe its the funny guy, the top guy, the quiet guy, whatever. But the so called "bullying" always tends to be from two people totally alike, or totally opposite. Feeling threatened their position.place.role, is in jeopardy, or they are maybe lacking the qualities the other person has (opposite). It needs a resolution, and the resolution is boundaries. And boundaries need to be set.

I just coached a friend of mine that went into a corporate environment, fast tracked, management, young woman. I managed to coach her through 6 months. Could have claimed all sorts of BS, sexual harassment, bullying, blah blah.

We didn't have to though, the instigators lost, one moved out of the state to get away from her, and the other works for her and has been disciplined repeatedly, oh and she has got a couple rewards since her start.

It's called another bloody day at the office.

Seek out a mentor, that's my advice.
edit on 11-10-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

One guy that I hired accused me of being a bully. The real fact of the matter is he expected to nail 30 ft a day, while the other 3 of us nailed 150+ ft a day, and still get 1/4 of the pay. Doesn't work that way, you are damn right I told him he sucked and he better shape up for a week straight, then fired his ass when he didn't. Bully my ass, I didn't run a crew with people that can't pull their own weight, and I never will.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   

boncho

Wrong, start at the beginning, read and then listen to the video.

Listen, you claim to be a victim of bullying in your copy repair job, what have you, you leave us with this ominous message and a stupid cartoon about bullying.

How about, if you are going to share, actually share with everyone. You want to speak about bullying, then describe everything as it happened, your side and theirs. Let the forum (reader) judge whether or not you were actually bullied.

Don't make people take your word for it. That's not fair to them. If you are asking people for their input on an issue they should have all the facts to make a judgement to form their own opinions.

Far too often, people simply state they were bullied. But we don't get specific details. Why?

If you are bringing it up then you are sharing, so share the entire story. Let's hear exactly what happened. Perhaps we don't see this as an issue at all, perhaps it isn't at all bullying, but you should let people decide that for themselves, not have to take your word for it.

I'm not asking anyone for anything. Also I don't need to lie to anyone. The guys in the suits have figured this all out. Who are you? If you say far to often people are claiming to be bullied you must know a few.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   

I'm not asking anyone for anything. Also I don't need to lie to anyone. The guys in the suits have figured this all out. Who are you? If you say far to often people are claiming to be bullied you must know a few.

Well I have a staff of 20, two proteges, and a bunch of people I lend a helping hand to but are not at protege status. But we don't simply classify people as bullies and cry ourselves to sleep, we deal with issues and move on.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Since this subject is all bs perhaps you can explain how someone should deal with constantly:

Being called every name under the sun including "idiot", "moron","stupid" plus all the cussword nouns.

Given every crappy job that they can throw at you including repetitive tasks that damage nerves in your hands from holding tools 8 hours a day and when you can't even hold the tool anymore due to cramps told to "man up, or find some other work" despite the fact that others could perform the same task while you were doing something else.

Being sabotaged by someone going behind you and ruining your work then bringing a supervisor over to show them how "poor" your work is.

Making honest suggestions and being told to STFU.

Giving you tasks that cannot be done to make a fool of you.

And plenty more things all with the intent of driving you to quit.

I had a job where all that happened and finally left wondering if I was going to come back by with a bulldozer and run over their cars and I'm actually a very forgiving person - but these guys were probably going to get theirs one day from someone they pushed too far.

This happens to people particularly if you're small like I am (130lbs soaking wet), they think they can do anything simply because of your size. What they didn't know was that I have a several belts in various martial arts and could have hurt any one of them. I'm also a damn good shot. I just don't look particularly dangerous. I put up with their # for 5 months while I found another job but until then I was stuck working in a hell hole to begin with made worse by others who torment for the fun of it.

Just because you haven't been pushed beyond reasonable limits by others at the workplace don't think it doesn't happen. If you have people under you the least you can do is give them a serious listen, if they're making up crap then punish the accuser. My state is pathetic when it comes to employee protections and if you're a middle age white guy nobody is going to take up your case for you.

It is real and it isn't funny, it can drive people to violence in retaliation.
I felt way too close to doing it myself.
edit on 11-10-2013 by Asktheanimals because: corrections

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

That's too ambiguous to formulate a proper reply and you know that. Like I said, i mentor two people, we have been through all sorts of sordid issues with interpersonal relationships in their professions and the two have them have done just fine, maintain management positions currently and are well respected in their workplace.

Every situation is different.

If you want one simple rule though, as I said, it is: speak up, address issues as they arise, don't let things fester. Speak directly and force communication out of the opposing party, most importantly, stand up for yourself.

Yes there are instances where certain things need to be ignored, but if I was simply giving general advice that would be it. As you can't do much better without specifics.

Take into account you all are posing problems that you let develop over long periods of time, obviously, by your own admissions.

And I don't see anyone admitting to any character flaws of their own, so there is no responsibility at all being taken. I can tell you that my flaw is that I am blunt as hell and though I rub people the wrong way very early on once they learn the things that keep me from busting ass, they all develop good relationships with me, and that is real simple, do the job, don't slack, don't make excuses. But in my position I am owner/operator, so it's different for everyone.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   

sonnny1

boncho

Come now B.

Obviously the guy is having a hard time at his Job. I can sympathize with it.

If he doesn't want to share those facts, we shouldn't force him to nor should we lambast him because of it.

Manipulating him with guilt to do it isn't cool.

As for the bulling, This thread was right on time for me. I have had a bad week at work. I took off today cause im sick of the stupidity.

In 17 years I never was written up for anything. Model employee.In a matter of 6 months, 3 times. Bullying does happen.

Myself nor a couple dozen others still work for this co. 4yrs now for me. I put in my 20. Some people just don't pay attention to detail or observe what is happening. This is a global co. with thousands of employees. I was caught in a small regional takeover. I was never written up nor was ANYONE else, no paper trail nothing happened. Just ask US.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I agree that there are people who are willing to manipulate their workplaces, company and fellow employees. There is NO doubt about that. But for someone like me, with a excellent track record, working with a manager who has 0% managerial training, is close friends with the CFO, and has went out of his way to make my life miserable? Yeah. Its workplace bullying.

I stand firm with that.

Here's the story.

I have 15 employee of the month accolades hanging up in my office. I know how the business is ran, and should be run. I tried to think of what I could have done to deserve the mistreatment. I even asked the guy if I did something wrong. He said I have done nothing wrong except for the BS write-ups. One for improper storage of chemicals, which I proved wasn't me, and two for Jobs that went out wrong, again which wasn't me and which I didn't run. In this business under the proper protocol, you have to proof the work you do, before running it.

The jobs were ran and those protocols were not enforced by the operator. I was written up for putting the Jobs in a queue. Its a setup procedure that we are supposed to do for the next shifts. The person that DID run the job is another close friend of the Production Manager and CFO. Since I decided to show them through our procedural bible that clearly states it is the operators responsibility ONLY when it comes down to these type of mistakes, they told me I was wrong. Even though it was in B&W. I then proceeded to tell them I wanted these write-ups off my clean record, and they proceeded to tell me that will not happen. I was told in no other words I am "Lucky to have a job". In my profession, reputation is EVERYTHING.

Did I tell you the HR person is married to the CFO?

So no, there is no telling someone, or getting a mediator to deal with this problem.

I have a great relationship with the owner, or so I thought. I talked to him. He is backing management. The Crap on their noses is fresh. They had talked to him before writing me up.

Now, My workload has been increased to the point of me pulling muscles in my back. Not from lifting the wrong way, but from the workload increasing. BTW, the first # operator now does less work. That has been documented by the machine and the amount of work per shift being done.

That is the story.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   

boncho
reply to post by Asktheanimals

That's too ambiguous to formulate a proper reply and you know that. Like I said, i mentor two people, we have been through all sorts of sordid issues with interpersonal relationships in their professions and the two have them have done just fine, maintain management positions currently and are well respected in their workplace.

Every situation is different.

If you want one simple rule though, as I said, it is: speak up, address issues as they arise, don't let things fester. Speak directly and force communication out of the opposing party, most importantly, stand up for yourself.

Yes there are instances where certain things need to be ignored, but if I was simply giving general advice that would be it. As you can't do much better without specifics.

Take into account you all are posing problems that you let develop over long periods of time, obviously, by your own admissions.

And I don't see anyone admitting to any character flaws of their own, so there is no responsibility at all being taken. I can tell you that my flaw is that I am blunt as hell and though I rub people the wrong way very early on once they learn the things that keep me from busting ass, they all develop good relationships with me, and that is real simple, do the job, don't slack, don't make excuses. But in my position I am owner/operator, so it's different for everyone.
Dude the chain of command did not work. I have been told that I'm so honest it hurts. You seem young.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   
All of you have made up your minds what has happened in your independent situations, that what happened was the only option, that there was no way around, that it's over and done with and you lost. I can't change any of that, nor the way you guys think.

I can tell you I dealt with a pretty big episode where one of my proteges was being harassed by a friend of the director, that I lost sleep over it, that we came up with a few different tactics and eventually succeeded, we won.

Nothing is impossible, but if you all believe you are going to be victims and there is no way around it, like I said, nothing I can do.

My advice is seek out aide when something like this is building before it gets out of control. Seek out mentors in the companies you have and stand up for yourselves, dont let people step on your toes. Know the landscape as well, if subsection c5 state ______ but the status quo is x, x is going to win your battle not subsection c5.

Hind sight seems to be 20/20 with you guys and no one thinks it could have gone differently. That is the kind of conditioning you have to get out of your heads.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join