It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Workplace Bullying

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

SPYvsSPY
I worked in an area called the snake pit. Copier machine repair...wish you were there.

Priceless.

I am a Pressman and Digital Operator. Ironic. Maybe its the field we are in.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SPYvsSPY

Spy, it's my understanding that you went through a very bad scenerio at said working environment. This is not ok.

I see 3 posters in this forum, myself included (Read my signiture caption) that would literally, verbally abuse the said agressor back and if it came to fisticuffs start throwing down.

Again, I am not condoning physical or verbal altercations. Especially in a family run business. It's my experiance that "family run" businesses are the worst offenders of said bullying. Family member do not make great employers, and on the same token, lashing back at a family member who's "Screwing the Pooch" is easier than in said Corporate environment where there's managers taking advantage of the system in said bullying scenerios.

My heart does go out. I am sorry you had to experiance that, it's not ok. But keeping the pimping hand strong in the scariest or shakiest of scenerios is 9/10 the best defense you could ever have.

Lastly, if there turning off or erasing security cameras??? It's your word against there's, it's "He said, she said" play the game. You don't have to hit them where a mark is going to show, a stomp to the top of the foot breaking those tiny bones is enough to say a box droped on there foot "I have no idea what your talking about".
Especially, if what your stating is accurate, you can pull this off free and clear.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Double post... I'm a bastard.... Sorry~

edit on 11-10-2013 by sulaw because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by sulaw

Kicking someones ass isn't going to help the situation. Verbally abusing someone back isn't going to help pay the bills, if the aggressor is a manager,and all the higher ups are best friends, and dont care. The only option is to find a new job. Kind of hard to do in this market. Its what I am doing right now.

Trust me though. If I ever see the guy outside of business, Don't know what I might do.

edit on 11-10-2013 by sonnny1 because: typo

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Trust me though. If I ever see the guy outside of business, Don't know what I might do.

Had it happen. They run like little girls because there "Posse" is not there to back them up. It's a funny scenerio.

I digress off the kicking ass and taking names, it's more to establish "Standing your ground" than anything else and not play the victim mentality.

Finding a new job in a "no win" scenerio is a good solution and a crappy one at that in this market, I totally agree. Sometimes its just best to seperate the communication and salvage your sanity before snaping and going into a business like a loaded weapon.

I have and see all the standpoints that are being displayed here. I only gave the avenue that I have taken in life against said bullies in the workplace and in my day to day life.

I have literally walked out of jobs because of shaddy scenerios and wouldn't be a part of it and had a utter disgust for the people working. I was lucky enough to always find work that would supplement that job from ever rattling my cage.

Best Regards,

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   

sulaw

Spy, it's my understanding that you went through a very bad scenerio at said working environment. This is not ok.

I see 3 posters in this forum, myself included (Read my signiture caption) that would literally, verbally abuse the said agressor back and if it came to fisticuffs start throwing down.

Again, I am not condoning physical or verbal altercations. Especially in a family run business. It's my experiance that "family run" businesses are the worst offenders of said bullying. Family member do not make great employers, and on the same token, lashing back at a family member who's "Screwing the Pooch" is easier than in said Corporate environment where there's managers taking advantage of the system in said bullying scenerios.

My heart does go out. I am sorry you had to experiance that, it's not ok. But keeping the pimping hand strong in the scariest or shakiest of scenerios is 9/10 the best defense you could ever have.

Lastly, if there turning off or erasing security cameras??? It's your word against there's, it's "He said, she said" play the game. You don't have to hit them where a mark is going to show, a stomp to the top of the foot breaking those tiny bones is enough to say a box droped on there foot "I have no idea what your talking about".
Especially, if what your stating is accurate, you can pull this off free and clear.

Thank you for your sympathy, none needed. When my very very large co. bought this smaller one and several others they had no idea what was going on. And really didn't care till the SHTF.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I guess I am glad to be a construction guy really, none of that passive aggressive, politics pussyfooting around on construction sites. Someone wants to be a prick, you just call them out in front of everyone.

"Hey, I don't know what your problem with me is, but I am stepping out back to have a smoke, you are welcome to join me and we will clear it up real quick." Said loudly is a good one. 9/10 they don't follow you, and they know they got bitched in front of everyone and their attitude is gone like magic. The other 1/10, well that is another story

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

tw0330
I have both witnessed and been a victim of this both by the management and other employees, in fact, it is often encouraged in many atmospheres.

I sold cars for one of the largest dealers in the country.

Here's how it went:
-Hired 28 workers all at once to sell cars and may the best man win (on average the dealership sold maybe 2 to 3 cars a day)

-pay $250 for sales training and after 6 months you would be reimbursed.

-You get min wage pay if you do not sell a car, but must pay that back with the cars you do sell.

-We were not encouraged to lie, but we were encouraged to not tell the truth. (example: when I would be honest with a customer about a car, I was often brought into a conference with the manager and was always told this "why did you tell them that, they never asked about it")

-many times you would spend weeks working with a customer only to find out that they had talked to another sales associate a few weeks, months or even years (had been a previous customer of another sales associate) before and the sales associate would take the sale from you. Often it was a veteran sales associate who had worked their for years.

-Other sales associates and managers would degrade you for doing "what is right".

-You would be required to work 60+ hours per week and if you needed a few hours off to take care of a family situation, you were subject to harassment from the managers then would lose your day off.

-NO one was allowed Saturdays off, you were let go if you ever asked for one.

-The biggest form of harassment came from the financial person. He often berated you and would often give the customer something for "free" that he got commission on, but in reality it wasn't free, it was taken off your commission check.

-Last but not least, if you complain about anything, you get fired

I will never work for another car dealer - EVER and I was damn good at it too. But my morals keep me from it. I regret to say that after several months working there, I started to change and not for the better. But eventually it got to me and I reported many of the things going on and was fired for doing so, but not before they belittled me and told me how bad of a person I was for "blowing the whistle" on them.

edit on 11-10-2013 by tw0330 because: (no reason given)

Wow, holy crap man, how long did it take you to realize you are not cut out for a sales job? Those are all the basics. You can't fight an industry or the proper way to do a job. Any informed consumer knows exactly what is going on, they will trip up any good sales agents, the rest are oblivious and just want you to make them feel good about their purchase, cause they are gonna buy something regardless if it's a piece of junk or not.

Why do people fight to be in jobs they are not cut out for? Christ...

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   

SPYvsSPY

boncho

SPYvsSPY
reply to post by boncho

Smells and fingernails. Do you think I would post this about smells and nail clippings. How about a box knife to the throat and physical assault on several occasions. These were mergers and some were afraid of the change. Wanted to take out some kind of strange payback on others.
edit on 2-9-2010 by SPYvsSPY because: (no reason given)

There's obviously more to the story than you are letting on. Don't bother with a sob story unless you want to be upfront about all the facts because there are those of us on the forum who don't bite at this kind of thing, sorry.
You have to be joking. Most persons who have experienced this keep it to themselves. I worked in an area called the snake pit. Copier machine repair...wish you were there.

Must have had a fightclub in the basement, toner cartridges flying into broken jaws, teeth lying on the floor at the end of every shift.

Really, like I said, you want to give a full story knock yourself out. For every sob sentence you have there are a dozen people in this world that actually went through a rough ride. The difference is the ones that actually did don't dwell on it with the victim mentality.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

One persons "social progress" is another persons hell on earth.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   

boncho

SPYvsSPY

boncho

SPYvsSPY
reply to post by boncho

Smells and fingernails. Do you think I would post this about smells and nail clippings. How about a box knife to the throat and physical assault on several occasions. These were mergers and some were afraid of the change. Wanted to take out some kind of strange payback on others.

There's obviously more to the story than you are letting on. Don't bother with a sob story unless you want to be upfront about all the facts because there are those of us on the forum who don't bite at this kind of thing, sorry.
You have to be joking. Most persons who have experienced this keep it to themselves. I worked in an area called the snake pit. Copier machine repair...wish you were there.

Must have had a fightclub in the basement, toner cartridges flying into broken jaws, teeth lying on the floor at the end of every shift.

Really, like I said, you want to give a full story knock yourself out. For every sob sentence you have there are a dozen people in this world that actually went through a rough ride. The difference is the ones that actually did don't dwell on it with the victim mentality.
Seems your reality and mine are a bit different. I Posted an important subject that affects many people and you are somehow trying twist it.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I get endless enjoyment out of being a workplace bully. The looks on peoples' faces just tickles me. Mondays are the best days to practice my bullying-craft...

wait, this thread is where all the bullies meet to discuss different techniques, right?

oh crap!

BTW, I'm homebased.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by six67seven

Made my day, Six......

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   

SPYvsSPY

boncho

SPYvsSPY

boncho

SPYvsSPY
reply to post by boncho

Seems your reality and mine are a bit different. I Posted an important subject that affects many people and you are somehow trying twist it.

Right, just like the work place, you went to say something, but you didn't fully say it, but you insinuated something about someone else, and you were bullied. Right.

The difference between being bullied and not being bullied is speaking up, speaking your mind, and speaking clearly.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   

boncho

SPYvsSPY

boncho

SPYvsSPY

boncho

SPYvsSPY
reply to post by boncho

Right, just like the work place, you went to say something, but you didn't fully say it, but you insinuated something about someone else, and you were bullied. Right.

The difference between being bullied and not being bullied is speaking up, speaking your mind, and speaking clearly.
Wrong, start at the beginning, read and then listen to the video.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
The basic recipe for this occurring is boys club in management.

- doing roles way above their capability level
- promote mates into positions where they are clearly underqualified for
- bureaucratic style of dealing with issues and people (1960s style)
- Cant take positive criticism as it insinuates they have weaknesses
- Self Delusion being much better than demonstrated by reality

What can you do? The age old solution is look for another job.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Interesting concept.....training managers to detect bullying among employees. I have seen it before. I have put up with it myself. One time an old high school bully was my new boss(?!?!?).

I hate bullies. Of any type.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   

AthlonSavage
The basic recipe for this occurring is boys club in management.

- doing roles way above their capability level
- promote mates into positions where they are clearly underqualified for
- bureaucratic style of dealing with issues and people (1960s style)
- Cant take positive criticism as it insinuates they have weaknesses
- Self Delusion being much better than demonstrated by reality

What can you do? The age old solution is look for another job.
You pretty much nailed it. One of the techs was found hanging in the woods. A female tech went over the edge and burned her service manuals on the side of the freeway. A couple drink till they could no longer function. You could look at these educated middle aged workers and see the despair on their faces. Out of 25 hard working people only a few were left after the final merging, a slow painful process. The new management started to look into it a bit more carefully and were shocked.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

I did the same thing with 2 kids and it took me 5 years to get out, best of luck to u brother.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Its a sad situation that power corrupts everyone. These people who went over edge should of just left and looked for other work. I remember reading recently a psychological profile of control freak managers, that their psychological profile is very similar to socio path psyhco paths. I used to work for a guy who displayed a socio path psyhco personality. It is a concern as I wonder how many of these people are in positions of authority playing their games at the expense of other peoples health, just so they can get their weekly power dose trip.
edit on 11-10-2013 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join