It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Over 865,200 Gallons of Fracked Oil Spill in ND, Public in Dark for Days Due to Government Shutdown

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   

LoriRNC
reply to post by Antipathy17

Do you have that link about France banning fracking for environmental reasons in 2011? I would appreciate it.

Here you go:

France is poised to become the first country to ban hydraulic fracturing, also known as fracking or hydrofracking, a controversial technique used to extract natural gas and oil trapped in underground rock formations by injecting a mixture of water, sand and toxic chemicals at high pressure to crack open the rock and release the fossil fuels.

environment.about.com...

And this is from today:

PARIS — France’s highest court on Friday upheld a government ban on a controversial drilling technique known as hydraulic fracturing, in a defeat for a method that has revolutionized the oil and natural gas industry in the United States.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by VforVendettea

I never got a chance to see what you posted. How about doing so again but without anyl inks to bad sites....

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
WTF is the difference whether the oil was produced with fracking or not?

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Can you imagine if the g=v actually did shut down?? It would be one of the greatest thing to ever happen in all of human history! Tyranny would be over! It would be amazing

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

One side of my family is from ND and our family homestead is on the Bakken Shale. The homes out there, at least when I was out there last a few decades ago before the oil boom, tended to be really very spread apart. Everything was a bit isolated out there and I haven't heard a whole lot different on that. Very rural. Looking at Google maps, in fact, it still is pretty empty looking out there, lol.

Ouch for Tesoro and the residents in the area. Tesoro is kind of a mid-sized fry in the oil industry so this is probably going to sting for them.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Aloysius the Gaul

The difference is fracking requires them pumping highly contaminated radioactive water (that they are not required to share what's in it as its a "secret trademarked receipe") into the earth with high pressure to break up the schale. These chemicals plus the methane breach into drinking water. In fact her in the marcellus one of the largest drinking water resevours is at risk because of fracking.

Wherever fracking takes place and pollution of the drinking water follows.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I have to say the source is clearly trying to link this to the government shutdown.

Perhaps they haven't "reported" it to the giant database of such environmental tragedies; but this doesn't speak to the so-called press... who would rather tell tales of political celebrities than report factual events, as was alluded to earlier.

This really is a misdirection, and thus a trap... because the people who see this as an inevitable (and thus forgivable) effect of the effort to reach energy 'self-sufficiency' are changing the focus from the precariously 'overlooked' industry practices which enabled the spill - to a federal governmental failure to catalog it...

Great thread!

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Rosinitiate

I have passed the links etc onto Ian Crane, who needs no intro when it comes to the oil industry politics and fracking in particular. Will feed back any comments if I am fortunate enough to receive any.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Maxmars
This really is a misdirection, and thus a trap... because the people who see this as an inevitable (and thus forgivable) effect of the effort to reach energy 'self-sufficiency' are changing the focus from the precariously 'overlooked' industry practices which enabled the spill - to a federal governmental failure to catalog it...

Amen! I couldn't agree more. For anyone interested gasland is a good start to understanding the issue at hand. Although energy independence is a great thing, I don't feel sacrficing everyones health and wellness is a fair trade off.
edit on 11-10-2013 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Rosinitiate

Aloysius the Gaul

The difference is fracking requires them pumping highly contaminated radioactive water (that they are not required to share what's in it as its a "secret trademarked receipe") into the earth with high pressure to break up the schale. These chemicals plus the methane breach into drinking water. In fact her in the marcellus one of the largest drinking water resevours is at risk because of fracking.

Rosin, I took Aloysius' post to be who cares if it was fracked oil, shale oil, or the oil Jerry Lewis puts in his hair, the damage to the environment was done due to corporate greed at all cost and assisted by the gov't allowing the greed.

As far as fracking... don't get me started on that poisonous practice!

Derek

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   

(The difference is fracking requires them pumping highly contaminated radioactive water (that they are not required to share what's in it as its a "secret trademarked receipe")

How do you know it is highly contaminated or radioactive if the recipe is a secret?

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Beartracker16

There is a lot of information out there in regards to the negative effects.
This is a good place to start:
ecowatch.com...

This is very simply put but not patronising:

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Rosinitiate

Aloysius the Gaul

The difference is fracking requires them pumping highly contaminated radioactive water (that they are not required to share what's in it as its a "secret trademarked receipe")

Then HTF do you know that it is radioactive? use of all the protective gear the workers wear and the

AFAIK the has never ever been a case where fracking has contaminated drinking water.

However my point is that the oil pollution is oil pollution regardless of how they extracted it.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Here is an example of contamination.

Robert Jackson, a chemical engineer at Duke University, found methane in 115 of 141 shallow, residential drinking-water wells. The methane concentration in homes less than one mile from a fracking well was six times higher than the concentration in homes farther away. Isotopes and traces of ethane in the methane indicated that the gas was not created by microorganisms living in groundwater but by heat and pressure thousands of feet down in the Marcellus Shale, which is where companies fracture rock to release gas that rises up a well shaft.

Scientific American

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 03:50 AM
link   

spartacus699
Can you imagine if the g=v actually did shut down?? It would be one of the greatest thing to ever happen in all of human history! Tyranny would be over! It would be amazing

Lol. Hilarious

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

They should notice at one end either the other pressure falls or increases immediately. But that would cost them money or a regulation and good luck on that.
But good post

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   

The spill is horrible, but is not directly related to hydraulic fracking, but rather to the poor maintenance of an old pipeline. Since the current administration is opposing new pipelines and we are now having oil shipped via rail and on our highways, I'd say that misguided environmental activism has a large blame here. The rail and trucking solution is far more environmentally risky to humans.

You have to view the whole picture. It is better to construct newer pipelines with better safety metrics, than our current alternatives. Moreover it is also insane to want to shut down the only industry that is still growing in the US, though I know Obama would love to do so.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join