Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Admin sources say .00017% of Americans sign up for Obamacare in the first week..we all want it huh?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
In the first week offered, the AHA has provided only 51000 people with coverage. this would mean that they are on pace to have 2 million signed up this year. That would be a half of a percent of all Americans in this country. Where is the sweeping change? Where are the long lines for the best care the US has to offer?

According to the CBO the government needs to have at least 7 million to 'stay afloat' financially. So, are we all still thinking this was a good idea or simply a waste of money?

Link to article

Over 800,000 people in New Jersey alone have lost their current health insurance in the last month,' Martin said, 'yet nationwide only 51,000 people have received health insurance from Obamacare. The numbers just do not add up.

So, again, a ton more people lost benefits than are signing up.

It cost over 600 million dollars to create the 'website' for Obamacare.

This is why they are attempting to DEFUND this debacle as no one wants it and it will be a red tape nightmare for years and years to come. Remember, the penalties go to the IRS and not a Obamacare slushfund.

Call your state rep and DO NOT let them cave and give in to the threats from the current administration. They cannot have an open checkbook anymore...

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by matafuchs

First let me say, I don't agree with obamacare, and I think since we already have general hospitals that will not turn you away, because they are for the people that cannot pay for healthcare.

But how exactly do people sign up when the website doesn't let them? Just because they didn't sign up, doesn't mean they haven't tried. With so many errors in the system, I'm sure it has more to do with not being able to sign up than it is not wanting to sign up.

Still, my personal opinion, this obama tax BS is a joke. My little brother makes squat every month (less than $9000 a year!!), and somehow, some way, he makes enough money to have to pay for obamacrap without the ability to become exempt from this tax. How is this free healthcare if the poor people still have to pay for the damn thing? That's my question!

edit on 11-10-2013 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by StallionDuck

My main reason for this post was to show that it is not as needed as it is described to be. If there are so many out there that need it, then it should have been more overwhelmed than it was. I am sure that there are those who could not sign up but I really, really thought there would be more.

I am really for more affordable care as well as making sure that those who need it do but this law should have been about regulation and not taxes.

I pay over 5000 a year now for health coverage, i still have to pay 25 for each visit and many of the things that are submitted are not covered, and I mean simple tests or childrens shots even. It blows. That is what the PPACA should have been used for. To promote a better way to experience health coverage and not scare us into penalties or high plans.

It could have been done correctly and was not. It is a shame and a waste of some good resources as I would easily pay 10 bucks a paycheck more so someone less fortunate could have coverage

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

I think there may just be many of us who simply won't sign up.

I am, personally, going to refuse to sign up. I don't really care what fee, fine, tax, penalty, or jail time they try to coerce me with. I am just not going to do it.

It is easy to kill a system simply by doing nothing.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
NOBODY lost benefits. ACA effects the uninsured. In one state there has been 1800+ people signed up in the first week. The ACA is a godsend for a lot of people. It would be better if they hadn't let the Heritige foundation gut the law by removing things like single payer in order to get it passed. It's a good thing. You'll see cause you can't get rid of it. Everyday more people sign up and public approval goes up. All the lies in the world can't kill it now and when it's obvious what a good thing it is all the nay Sayers will disappear or go back to being a birther.

Edit: oh and that is not why they tried to defund obamacare. The reason was they just can't stomach Obama leaving a legacy of good to compare with the economic collapse and war the last republican prez left us with.
edit on Fri October 11th, 2013 by damwel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Maybe because people CAN'T sign up. I've tried multiple times, and the website is always malfunctioning preventing me from doing so.

Why am I signing up? As I've expressed in another thread, I have health insurance but it keeps going up. My premiums have gone up TWICE this year alone and I haven't had a claim in 8 or so years.

If I can shop around and get the same or similar coverage for cheaper, you better believe that's what I'm going to do.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by damwel

from what I've seen, premiums are going up about 20% for a lot of people. Employers are taking a big hit and, in some cases, they are scaling employees down to part time to avoid the added hit.

You don't lose your insurance but, if it becomes cost prohibitive, you cancel it.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by damwel

Yes that's totally most of the comments on the healthcare.gov facebook page are positive. Oh wait they aren't, it's mostly full of people complaining because the can't afford the insurance or that they can't sign up. It must be nice living in a delusional world where things are so because you think that way.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Ya he said this pretty much..

Alot of people are losing Full time work because of this Obamacare bs... Therefor they are going to have to get on this Obamacare crap which will cost them more than if they had ins in the 1st place....

There is talk where my wife works of cutting 2500 or so people down to part time so the company where she works dont have to pay a billion dollars because of this Obamacare crap.(For now rumor.)

::EDIT::

She gets healthcare through her company...
edit on 10/11/2013 by ThichHeaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
There are problems with the web site I understand that. Of course that has absolutely nothing to do with the law itself. Also if you already have insurance why would ACA effect your own private insurance? If your personal insurance company raised your rate, obamacare was an excuse not the reason. The same thing the oil companies do when gas goes up .40 at a time and they say it's because of this or that.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I checked the AHA last week to see what they would charge me for Healthcare. I live in Oregon and was able to get right in no trouble at all.

the plan they recommend for me is as follows. It is also the cheapest i was offered.

150$ a month. 30,000$ deductible. Office visits are 35% after deductible.(this means my office visit is a flat fee of 100$ tell my deductible is met.)

Recommended dental is 85$
Vision 37$

grand total of 272$

That is for me and 2 kids.

Since i am employed and i have seen my health Insurance take a dive with all this "preping" for the new laws, I just wanted to see. I backed out of the web site as a 30K deductible was not good for me.

Since then I have been called twice, once the call was out of Florida and once out of Michigan. The calls were from the insurance plans i looked at and they were wanting to know why i backed out. Where i worked and if my wife was covered (I am guessing they asked this as i looked up only for me and 2 minor children) .

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Crakeur
You don't lose your insurance but, if it becomes cost prohibitive, you cancel it.

Wishes we could apply that same logic to our "Guberment"

Seems fair...

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   

damwel
There are problems with the web site I understand that. Of course that has absolutely nothing to do with the law itself. Also if you already have insurance why would ACA effect your own private insurance? If your personal insurance company raised your rate, obamacare was an excuse not the reason. The same thing the oil companies do when gas goes up .40 at a time and they say it's because of this or that.

We wouldn't need Obamacare if there were no health insurance companies to begin with.

"but, but, but....without health insurance no one could afford healthcare?!"

EXACTLY!

To avoid going out of business, healthcare providers would have to lower their prices to match what people could actually afford. Otherwise, they themselves would just go broke.

Obamacare does nothing to combat the underlying cause of the costs of healthcare. Which is what the problem was to begin with.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by damwel

the insurance companies are raising premiums all over the place to defray the cost of insuring those folks that were uninsurable due to illness.

Remember, the bulk of the people who were living without insurance were doing so because they either couldn't afford it or they had an illness that resulted in the insurance companies refusing to cover them. These are the very people that ACA is for and they are the ones who are signing up. So the insurance company is going to lose money on all of them.

There's only one way to ensure they don't go broke covering the folks with prior conditions and folks with super low premiums. That's to raise the premiums elsewhere.

It's a direct cause. If I sell tires and I'm forced to sell my cheaper tires at a loss, you can be sure I'm going to raise prices on the other tires to cover that loss.

Again, not an excuse, a direct cause.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

and I can tell you since I work with this industry that premiums went up around the board. The government also knows exactly what to charge you at a comporable rate because it has access to your W2 from last year that tells them what you were paying. So, if you box 12dd said 3,000 in premiums per year, i bet this is what you are offered...

Bronze plan - 2,200 dollar premium
Silver plan - 3,500 dollar premium
Gold Plan - 5,000 dollar premium

So, it comes down to marketing at that point. No one wants the cheapest so scratch that. The middle plan is slightly more so it is not that bad and the gold plan is priced out. This way, they do NOT have to offer gold coverage because no one will buy it, the silver plan is MORE than you were paying and then if they run your FICO they can use that to add a few hundred more...

This is NOT about giving coverage, it was a way for Heatlhcare to make more money and the IRS to collect more fees in penalties...

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Socialized healthcare is a good idea in theory but this debacle is well yeah..a debacle. How did they not model it on a version that actually works like some of the other countries that have been at it a while? This won't end well for sure.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

those silver plans also have deductibles around $10k from what I've seen.

Here in NYC there are a few more tiers, platinum included. What scares me is that the highest price platinum plan covers my family of four, and covers dental for my 2 kids, is double what I'm paying now for the four of us plus dental for 4 and has all kinds of other costs that will result in money flowing out, with the insurance company paying for almost nothing.

For a large portion of the population, self-insurance plus the penalty is the cheapest way to go.

Someone is going to self-insure and fight the penalty. They'll win too. If I take $1000 a month and put it in a bank account titled Crakeur - Health Insurance, and never take a dime out for anything other than medical expenses, the IRS will have a tough time proving I'm not insured. Plus, since I don't spend $12k a year in medical, I will build up a nice war chest in the event I actually have medical issues to deal with.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Not really trusting these numbers ...

Causing web traffic gridlock and running into software dead-ends, millions of New Yorkers visited and more than 40,000 signed up for health insurance in the first week of business at the state’s online health benefits marketplace.
Westfair Online

California said 28,699 people were signed up in the state’s health-insurance exchange in the first week, while New York had more than 40,000 sign up.
Bloomburg

Bloomburg confirms New York numbers, those two markets alone put the enrollments at 68,699

Then back home ...

LOUISVILLE, Ky — More than 16,000 applications for health insurance have been started in Kentucky since enrollment began this week under the state's new online marketplace, prompting Gov. Steve Beshear to declare that the state has become the "gold standard" for implementing the federal health care overhaul.

The governor's office said nearly 11,000 applications had been completed by early Friday, and 4,739 individuals or families had picked health plans and signed up for coverage.

Also, 166 small businesses had started applications for health insurance for employees, it said.
Courier Press

Add another 11,000 for a total of 79,699.

Plus 166 small businesses.

I call bunk on this article, reminds me of this dude ...

Wolf Blitzer on CNN this Wednesday, GOP Congressman Buck McKeon made the outrageous claim that fewer than 10 people have signed up to purchase health insurance through the government run exchanges.

Incredulous, Blitzer asked him, “When you say single digits, I’m not exactly clear what you mean by that.”

McKeon replied, “Single digits would be less than ten.” He went on to say that he had read an article in Forbes which made that claim, apparently referring to an article from last Thursday, three days after the exchanges opened, in which an anonymous insurance company spokesman made some blatantly false claims.
Source

Personally, I believe there will be much egg on peoples faces before this is all over ...

Now, I agree with the majority in this thread about the cost, I would say it could be more affordable but there are some really great things in this reform too, it has greatly enhanced my employer provided insurance.

Like anything else in life there are pros and cons but I personally would like to see it be more affordable for people.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

damwel

The ACA has driven rates with private insurance companies up by an average of 65% and in some states as much as 300%, it has to do with the no exclusions for preexisting conditions part. Maybe you havent looked into it yet but millions of people are losing thier health insurance by either being laid off or downsized. Major insurers are even pulling out of some states leaving all of their customers without insurance come renewaltime. All of this and a lot more thanks to the Obamatax. Remember we had to pass it to find out whats it in, and most of us still dont know andits being implemented.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join