It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange object spotted in sky over Cumbria

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Just spotted this in the local news, thought it might interest some of you.

Richard spotted the bright lights in the sky above his home in Keswick around a fortnight ago when he was getting ready for work at 5.30am.

At first he thought it might have been an aeroplane or helicopter, but the longer he watched it the more he realised the object was like nothing he had ever seen before. The 24-year-old quickly turned to his telescope and managed to spot the lights hovering, but not moving, and regularly changing colour, pulsating with light.

Richard, of Derwent Hill, then grabbed his iPhone and began filming the phenomena through his telescope.

Source

I could go with the kite theory, but at 5:30am?

Pat Regan, a UFO expert and author based in Cockermouth, believes that if Richard’s video is a fake, it’s well done.

He said: “This unidentified object appeared to be reflecting or emitting light. It may also be revolving.

Pat seems to take this kind of stuff seriously, and will probably debunk if necessary, so if it has him curious.....maybe someone here will be too.

For the record, Cumbria is used for flying all kinds of military aircraft, probably some experimental, it has hundreds of square miles of mountains, fells, lakes and open grounds .

Any useful thoughts from ATS members I will forward to the News and Star, unless you object.
edit on 11/10/13 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
It is most likely not connected as I am in a different part of the country, but there has been a notable increase in low level military flights in my local area. Last night at 2120 one flew right over my place lower than I have ever seen one before. I can say with some authority that low level military flights over populated areas at that time of day are very uncommon, and are not done without good reason.
Thought this might be worth mentioning.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
It certainly is curious footage, good on him for capturing it.

It doesn't look like anything conventional, so it makes you wonder!! Thanks for sharing.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Probably a kite or some other remote-controlled toy, but those are definitely LED lights. No UFO here.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

It does have the appearance of something covered with L.E.D's in my opinion , perhaps something like this .

Other than that I don't know

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

My first thought was kite, but after watching the video carefully, it appears there is clouds quickly moving past, it would have to be fairly high up if that was the case.

Also he said it appeared to be hovering, kites can move pretty wildly depending on the wind.

Given how much "camera shake" there is, if he is viewing this through a telescope it must have been some distance away (just to shake the thought it was something dangling off a string.)

I think there is a perfectly terrestrial explanation, just not a kite.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Attention,

Videos of blinky, flashy, jittery little lights in the nightime sky are NOT HELPFUL!!!!

Jebus, people. Stop with that crap already.

Yeah, I know. You were there and it was exciting and it damn well might have been interdimensional ET's flickering a secret, coded message just-for-you, but you know what - probably not.

At least if you are gonna make a bigass claim like, "A spaceship parked over my house last night" then give us enough evidence to make a judgment about it.

Tiny, jumpy, out-of-focus Lights in the sky aren't that evidence. Never have been. Never will be.

Understand - we _want_ to see the real deal, but _only_ the real deal. Sabe?

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by MarsSentinel

Like they say at Tesco, every little helps.

I'm a sceptic, to be honest I was just looking for suggestions to give feedback on the N&S website, and where better to look than ATS.

That being said, this is Cumbria, strange things being spotted in the sky (and even on the ground) are not unusual.

There is something about the video that made me view it several times, the way the lights seem to dance around fluidly, not the usual LED trickery I have seen before, the fact that it was in a local area.....

I dunno, maybe I'm just crap at making threads, everyone's entitled to free speech and opinions though right?

Thanks for your input.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   

MarsSentinel
Attention,

Videos of blinky, flashy, jittery little lights in the nightime sky are NOT HELPFUL!!!!

Jebus, people. Stop with that crap already.

Yeah, I know. You were there and it was exciting and it damn well might have been interdimensional ET's flickering a secret, coded message just-for-you, but you know what - probably not.

At least if you are gonna make a bigass claim like, "A spaceship parked over my house last night" then give us enough evidence to make a judgment about it.

Tiny, jumpy, out-of-focus Lights in the sky aren't that evidence. Never have been. Never will be.

Understand - we _want_ to see the real deal, but _only_ the real deal. Sabe?

And who is going to say what is a real ufo or not? You?
i did'nt know that there is a standard for identifying ufo's. So what does someone do when they film a ufo? Is there somewhere or someone to tell them if its a "real" ufo or not?
"i wonder if i should post this bit of film, because im not sure if its a ufo or not"
Ridiculous. Do you even understand what ufo stands for?????
Here let me remind you....Unidentified Flying Object. Get it???? UNIDENTIFIED
Actually, maybe you could post a couple of "real" ufo's for us so we know what to compare future recordings to. Could you do that for us, huh?
im sure you know what is real and what is not.
Thanks in advance, i look forward to seeing what you post

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Dammit Woogle, you beat me to it!! Just found this on the News and Star now haha

Just to add to the military business though, there was an exercise going on that week with the RAF... Typhoons, Chinooks playing "war games"

reply to post by hotel1

There's a nationwide military exercise going on at the moment, Joint Warrior, with the French, Americans, Germans, Canadians, Brazilians and Danish. It happens twice a year, once around November and around April... April next year is due to be a big one so if any of you are interested in that sort of stuff, keep a look out

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I have a video that I will try to embed with lights changing from yellow, red, blue, green. There were 4 of them. My camera is not so good and I couldn't get photos, but I managed to get a blurry 8 second video clip. The lights got very bright at times. They were hovering near a reservoir in Hunterdon County, N.J.

I know the video isn't good quality, but I want to share it anyway. I'm still learning how to embed stuff.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

As you can see from my post above ive asked MarsSentinel to post us a couple of "real ufo" video's so we can compare future postings to. im sure it will help us in the future

As for your video, i think its a good one. Certainly not a fake. Definitely unidentified.
And dont pay any attention to posts like his, your thread is fine.
If you come across more film keep posting them, thats what this forum is for. To help indentify and consider and maybe solve ufo video's that are posted
edit on 11/10/13 by SecretKnowledge because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/10/13 by SecretKnowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Just to actually input something relevant, what about...

... One of these?!

I looooove quadcopters, they're pretty awesome, and if you attached LEDs to it, that's twice as awesome, obviously they're pretty damn useless in the middle of the day. Now us Cumbrians, we like to drink. So, coming home at half 5 then going out to play with our new toy seems quite normal.

Attached is another picture from the article

Looks like a bit more than a quadcopter, maybe an octocopter?? But still not that uncommon

edit on 11-10-2013 by Florasaurus because: Can't link. Doh.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Nothing in that video even indicates that it is on the sky. No stars, no clouds, no horizon. Makes it seem a little fishy to me.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Florasaurus

Could be a quadcopter, but do you not think you would hear it at 5.30am ?
Hardly, if any traffic knocking about at such an early hour.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Plumbduff

I dunno, it doesn't say anywhere that he was filming outdoors, double glazed windows cut out a lot of noise + if he needed a telescope to film it, it sounds like it was pretty far away. If the wind was blowing away then the noise would get carried away...?

Really, you could take any sort of theory here and just go with it, there's always going to be decent arguments for and against everything

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Mikeultra
I know the video isn't good quality, but I want to share it anyway.
www.youtube.com...

That is an obvious RC vehicle with LED lights as well.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Ball lightning maybe? (1st post btw, hello world.)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

_BoneZ_

Mikeultra
I know the video isn't good quality, but I want to share it anyway.
www.youtube.com...

That is an obvious RC vehicle with LED lights as well.

It's such poor quality video, how can you be so sure that it's a RC vehicle? I wish I had a better camera. I was in a kayak on a reservoir when I shot that footage. If I was on land I could have used a tripod and got some still photos because these things were hovering perfectly motionless for long periods. Too motionless for even the best helicopter pilots and certainly too motionless for some RC hobbyist in my opinion. I thought they were real helicopters at first, but the lights got too bright and changing between yellow, red, blue, and green was weird. Also there was no noise that I could hear.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Mikeultra

LED's have very specific colors, and are instant-on, instant-off type of lights. One thing to keep in mind is that if an alien craft comes down from the sky and starts flashing multiple colors a few hundred feet off the ground, it will be all over the news of world within minutes.

Therefore, it's not an alien craft.

It doesn't matter how you perceive the skill of a pilot or RC enthusiast, quad-copters are very stable and can sit in the same spot until its battery runs out. As far as sound, there are some cheapo loud motors, and then there are some more-expensive, and much-quieter motors that you wouldn't hear within 20-50 feet of the object.

The absence of sound, or your perception of the skill of a pilot doesn't make an object an alien craft.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join