It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man amputates his OWN leg because he could not afford hospital operation

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by revmoofoo

Here in Northern Ireland we get prescriptions free of charge, I think its the same in Scotland too.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Lady_Tuatha

Here in Northern Ireland we get prescriptions free of charge, I think its the same in Scotland too.

So, If I offer to feed you for free and all you have to do is give me 500.00 a month in taxes is it free?

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Tusks

WaterBottle
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

Jeez this just makes me really thankful for the healthcare system we have here, it doesn't matter how poor you are!

Too bad this isn't true in the US.

Arterial embolism is considered an emergency in the US and the guy would have had hospital treatment without consideration of cost. Violation of EMTALA law would be quite painful for the hospital and the physicians involved. I consider your statement as simply ridiculous--it must be either disinfo with an agenda or the product of swallowing too much propaganda.
edit on 10/06/2013 by Tusks because: (no reason given)

Actually he has a good point. It is NOT "swallowing too much propaganda".

I have needed surgery on BOTH of my feet for over 10 years now. So it may be true that a life threatening condition will be treated, but a condition that causes extreme pain but wont kill you will not. I live in pain every single day. It is only a matter of time before I will be unable to walk and will eventually be forced to file for disability and be a drain on society... all because I can not afford a surgery that would have cost $4000 a few years ago.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by LeaderOfProgress

How long ago were you 10 years old? Would you still get the treatment you got then now and would it still cost what it did back then? (i.e. free) How about the medications. Do/did you have to pay for them?

When I lived out in the US for 6 months (while studying for ordination), I spent a fortune getting my medications and the only reason I came home was the substandard medical care that I was being forced to pay through the nose for. That said, that was about 12 years ago now, so I'm sure it has probably changed a bit since then.

In the end, you system sickens me. Not just because it's so expensive and leaves many Americans with bills they cannot afford to pay, but also because as human beings, the American public deserve much better than that.

In a just world, all medical treatment would be free and we would never have to worry about not getting the treatment and medications we require because the costs are so high...and while the UK system isn't just or perfect by any means, it's something that we should be proud of. And I know for a fact that the only thing I'll have to worry about the next time I'm in hospital is what books to take with me.

Oh and if you don't like the NHS, then go private. I don't recommend Bupa however as they were really crap when I fell ill in the Slovak republic and needed to be moved back to the UK. Oh and the last time my wife went on respite to a Bupa care home, it was awful...and cost an arm and a leg.

Rev

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   

LeaderOfProgress
I cannot because it is from attornies who are friends of mine, one of whom specializes in bankruptcies. I can only go off of what they have said and experienced in court themselves. But the fact remains that poor people do not file for bankruptcy.

So you could just as well source it but choose not to? And what is this fact stuff? What stops a well of person who ends up poor from filing bankruptcy? I can think of nothing.
edit on 11/10/2013 by PsykoOps because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by UnifiedSerenity

It is far better to not be hit with a bill when you are going through a hard enough time with an illness, do you not think so?

No matter how much or little we have at least we know we will never have to pay substantial medical costs. I am very glad it is paid via our taxes
no unexpected bills.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Lady_Tuatha
reply to post by LeaderOfProgress

but then there was this -

Medical problems caused 62% of all personal bankruptcies filed in the U.S. in 2007, according to a study by Harvard researchers. And in a finding that surprised even the researchers, 78% of those filers had medical insurance at the start of their illness, including 60.3% who had private coverage, not Medicare or Medicaid.

link
yeah I think we are quite lucky over this side of the pond,

Yes, because ignorance is bliss right? People do not know how to get a fair bill using the fair trade act. Instead they let a hospital or collection agency bully them into agreeing they owe the debt the hospital says, when I can prove to you they don't.

Most hospitals charge THOUSANDS of % more than medicaid would pay for the same service or pill / medicine. John Hopkins is one of the best hospitals in the world and they on average bill 10% more than costs. You have to request 2 forms from the hospital to get a true accounting of your charges. Then you take that bill and get the costs allowed under medicaid and offer to pay 25% above that which is often a massive discount from what they are claiming you owe!

I have seen a $20,000.00 bill dropped to $3000.00! Now, do you think you might be able to agree to pay that back and actually do so at $50.00 - $100.00 a month and really pay it off rather than the $20,000.00 which you will NEVER pay off and thus your credit is ruined and you pay immensely more for everything that uses a credit score?

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Tusks
reply to post by Cuervo

Your high taxes that go to health-care in the US go only for Medicaid, Medicare, and disability. But under ACA obamacare, you will find out that paying for everybody is gonna be way more expensive than it already is.

Yes... you bring up three things that cost us in taxes but they are costing us so much because our healthcare costs are not being governed by any authority other than investors and we all know how well that works.

Our costs are enormous because it is privatized. When medicine is socialized, it is no longer in anybody's best interest to keep people sick and paying crap tons of money for pills that cost virtually nothing to synthesize. Seriously, you are doing exactly as I said you would. You are thinking of how terrible and expensive socialized medicine would be based on our current privatized structure. Unfortunately, Obamacare is doing the same thing. Instead of socializing medicine, it is legislating a privatized industry in everything but it's cost. That won't work but hopefully it will open it all up for some honest discussion again.

link   

MrWendal

Tusks

WaterBottle

Jeez this just makes me really thankful for the healthcare system we have here, it doesn't matter how poor you are!

Too bad this isn't true in the US.

Arterial embolism is considered an emergency in the US and the guy would have had hospital treatment without consideration of cost. Violation of EMTALA law would be quite painful for the hospital and the physicians involved. I consider your statement as simply ridiculous--it must be either disinfo with an agenda or the product of swallowing too much propaganda.
edit on 10/06/2013 by Tusks because: (no reason given)

Actually he has a good point. It is NOT "swallowing too much propaganda".

I have needed surgery on BOTH of my feet for over 10 years now. So it may be true that a life threatening condition will be treated, but a condition that causes extreme pain but wont kill you will not. I live in pain every single day. It is only a matter of time before I will be unable to walk and will eventually be forced to file for disability and be a drain on society... all because I can not afford a surgery that would have cost $4000 a few years ago.

I am by no means trying to be rude, but the only surgery you NEED is the on which saves your life. I know it sounds harsh but it is more a fairness or quality of life issue than anything else. If it has been 10 years then it is by no means something that you could not have saved up for.

link   

Aye, Scotland (my home country) does free scripts and free higher education. Shame the Scottish Nazi Party are in power and trying to screw up the whole UK.

Rev

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Tusks

Sure they would send a bill, but hospitals and collection agencies understand you can't get blood from a turnip.

Tell that to all the people that have filed bankruptcy over medical bills.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Tusks

The pay and retirement pay of public employees like cops, firemen, and school teachers is one of the leading causes of bankruptcy of cities and States in the US. Get a clue.

Do you know about the CAFR? I have written several posts on this topic. What you have said is a really a lie of the politicians. They have trillions of dollars stored in funds that are part of the CAFR that do not show up in the general budget. They have all kinds of accounting tricks to make it look like they are going broke and then say, "We need to add a fee or tax to be able to afford to pay these people" and they lay off some to show they mean business.

Here are a couple videos:

This is the longest and most complete explanation, and he shows how the FED is audited every year and yet Ron Paul who knew this kept harping on "AUDIT THE FED" and this video in the third hour after laying all the facts out shows where the money is, and why we are broke:

edit on 11-10-2013 by UnifiedSerenity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Yes but in Southern Ireland you have to pay for everything because it's not part of the UK . My wife took ill there when we were on holiday and had to pay to see the doctor plus prescriptions...

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   

PsykoOps

LeaderOfProgress
I cannot because it is from attornies who are friends of mine, one of whom specializes in bankruptcies. I can only go off of what they have said and experienced in court themselves. But the fact remains that poor people do not file for bankruptcy.

So you could just as well source it but choose not to? And what is this fact stuff? What stops a well of person who ends up poor from filing bankruptcy? I can think of nothing.

Nothing at all, but if one was well to do and is now filing bankruptcy it means that they were mishandling their finances and living beyond their means.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   

buster2010
reply to post by Tusks

Sure they would send a bill, but hospitals and collection agencies understand you can't get blood from a turnip.

People that could have afforded coverage but chose not to because they wanted every cent to themselves, then went broke and had to file bankruptcy..... PEOPLE WHO HAVE ALWAYS BEEN POOR DO NOT FILE FOR BANKRUPTCY...

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

LeaderOfProgress

PsykoOps

LeaderOfProgress

Nothing at all, but if one was well to do and is now filing bankruptcy it means that they were mishandling their finances and living beyond their means.

So in your mind someone who was in a car wreck that debilitated them from working who then had file bankruptcy must has mismanaged their money. It's their fault? Substitute car wreck with debilitating injury regardless of cause.

Are you that naive about the realitys of this country.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   

LeaderOfProgress

So when a person is hit by cripling bills it's their own fault? Because they were "living beyond their means".

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   

UnifiedSerenity

Lady_Tuatha

So, If I offer to feed you for free and all you have to do is give me 500.00 a month in taxes is it free?

I no longer pay taxes as I am not well enough to work. I have paid plenty of tax in the past (40% of my income for all of my working life) and I didn't mind doing so because I believe in everyone paying their fair share based on what they can afford, so I did...unlike my colleagues who used Tax dodges to pay hardly anything in to the system.

My wife however, has never been well enough to work and requires extra care on top of what I can do for her each day and she has never had to pay for any of that nor as I mentioned before, has she had to pay for treatments or medications and her medication alone costs the NHS round about £1500 per month. That's what the NHS is all about...treatment and care for everyone. And if I ever get back to my proper job I'll happily pay the same taxes as before to help fund such things. If for no other reason than the fact that it is my civic duty.

Rev

edit on 11/10/2013 by revmoofoo because: ETA

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

LeaderOfProgress

buster2010
reply to post by Tusks

People that could have afforded coverage but chose not to because they wanted every cent to themselves, then went broke and had to file bankruptcy..... PEOPLE WHO HAVE ALWAYS BEEN POOR DO NOT FILE FOR BANKRUPTCY...

There are millions that cannot afford medical care. When you have to choose between food and medical insurance which would you choose? You want to know why many poor people don't file bankruptcy? Because they can't afford it either. Yes filing for bankruptcy costs money also.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   

LeaderOfProgress

I am by no means trying to be rude, but the only surgery you NEED is the on which saves your life. I know it sounds harsh but it is more a fairness or quality of life issue than anything else. If it has been 10 years then it is by no means something that you could not have saved up for.

See and this is why the UK is better.

He may have had to wait a few months but he would have got the surgery and would have a better quality of life than he has know.

This is what I dont get with your and other Americans mentality!

You say it not needed? Its " Aquality of life issue".

YEAH THATS STILL BLOODY IMPORTANT!

You say pay and get it it done, well how can he pay when his work and employment propests are limited becuase of his condition.

It like someone breaking there arm but telling them to go back to stacking shelves until they have enough monet to treat it.

Sheesh Im glad I dont live in dumb dumb land. You Americans can be heartless bastards.
edit on 11-10-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join