It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mike Rowe Of ‘Dirty Jobs’ Unveils Exciting Scholarship Program Rooted In Hard Work

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I absolutely love Mike Rowe. A true down to earth kind of guy. He is sponsoring a scholarship for those who actually want to make something of themselves.

“The jobs right now that we have available, people don’t seem to want — and it makes no sense because we’re lending money we don’t have to kids who can’t pay it back to train them for jobs that no longer exist,” Rowe told TheBlaze TV’s Andrew Wilkow.

People have been saying this for years and there are able-bodied idiots who still don't listen and then blame everybody else but themselves. You've all seen them. People that think they are above that type of work.

www.theblaze.com... ts-must-take-first/

Here's the pledge.

Here’s the pledge via Rowe’s website, profoundlydisconnected.com:

1. I believe that I have won the greatest lottery of all time. I am alive. I walk the Earth. I live in America. Above all things, I am grateful.

2. I believe that I am entitled to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Nothing more. I also understand that “happiness” and the “pursuit of happiness” are not the same thing.

3. I believe there is no such thing as a “bad job.” I believe that all jobs are opportunities, and it’s up to me to make the best of them.

4. I do not “follow my passion.” I bring it with me. I believe that any job can be done with passion and enthusiasm.

5. I deplore debt, and do all I can to avoid it. I would rather live in a tent and eat beans than borrow money to pay for a lifestyle I can’t afford.

6. I believe that my safety is my responsibility. I understand that being in “compliance” does not necessarily mean I’m out of danger.

7. I believe the best way to distinguish myself at work is to show up early, stay late, and cheerfully volunteer for every crappy task there is.

8. I believe the most annoying sounds in the world are whining and complaining. I will never make them. If I am unhappy in my work, I will either find a new job, or find a way to be happy.

9. I believe that my education is my responsibility, and absolutely critical to my success. I am resolved to learn as much as I can from whatever source is available to me. I will never stop learning, and understand that library cards are free.

10. I believe that I am a product of my choices – not my circumstances. I will never blame anyone for my shortcomings or the challenges I face. And I will never accept the credit for something I didn’t do.

11. I understand the world is not fair, and I’m OK with that. I do not resent the success of others.

12. I believe that all people are created equal. I also believe that all people make choices. Some choose to be lazy. Some choose to sleep in. I choose to work my butt off.

On my honor, I hereby affirm the above statements to be an accurate summation of my personal worldview. I promise to live by them.

Signed ____________________________________

Dated _____________________________________

Pretty common sense, but from what I have seen over the recent years, common sense has been deleted by all those DumbPhones and Infotainment.

I think that this pledge is succinct and to the point. Do you think that this pledge goes to far?

Here's Rowe's site. profoundlydisconnected.com...
edit on 11-10-2013 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA

edit on 10/11/2013 by kosmicjack because: fixed all caps

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Go Mike!

I like his voiceovers on the science channel show too.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Easy for him to say, he did multiple dirty jobs for a whole half hour.. Now he makes millions talking over car commercials. I do not believe he would be so happy if he had to pick fruit for 12 hours a day 7 days a week.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   

starfoxxx
Easy for him to say, he did multiple dirty jobs for a whole half hour.. Now he makes millions talking over car commercials. I do not believe he would be so happy if he had to pick fruit for 12 hours a day 7 days a week.

He was on-site on those jobs, along with his crew, to whom he gives plenty of kudos, often for days at a time. You must remember that the show was edited to sell. Hence the humor and rather nasty portions of it. It did quite well.

And Mike was a voice over guy loooong before he did Dirty Jobs. He found a opportunity and seized it. I commend him for that and am not jealous whatsoever.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Spoken like a true slave. Hollywood at it's finest. He's the guy that going to make you want to shovel elephant crap and like it for 80 hours a week! You'll do this with no breaks or heath care paid for you by the circus but paid by you through Obamacare. I rather cut them all out and become self sustaining.

He's a morlock trainer!

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Spoken like a true slave. Hollywood at it's finest. He's the guy that going to make you want to shovel elephant crap and like it for 80 hours a week! You'll do this with no breaks or heath care paid for you by the circus but paid by you through Obamacare. I rather cut them all out and become self sustaining.

He's a morlock trainer!

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   

I believe that I am a product of my choices – not my circumstances.

I believe that all people are created equal.

This has no base in reality, one can indeed outcome circumstances but it should be clear to anyone that we are not born equal and with the same resources for self-realization.

Peoples potentials are not equal at all, it is a product of many variables some even before one is born...

edit on 11-10-2013 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   

I understand the world is not fair, and I’m OK with that. I do not resent the success of others.

This is also crap, we should not accommodate we should strive for general improvement even at the cost of oneself especially in regards to genetically related individuals and on top of that our own children. The resentment bit lacks definition but I think we should indeed resent those (and society rules) that trample on others for the archival of unmerited success...

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   

maddog628

He's a morlock trainer!

I'd rather have trained Morlocks than the common dolt idiots floating about the U.S. these days. But of course you feel that because you think or feel you should succeed, it's a given?

Life doesn't work like that. Not everybody can have a corner office.

He may be well off, but at least he (and those who are helping to sponsor) are putting money where their mouth is. I don't see a whole lot of that these days.
edit on 11-10-2013 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA

edit on 11-10-2013 by TDawgRex because: Spelling

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   

I made it to the age of 50. Thanks for thinking for me. I'm sure you'll be happy shoveling elephant crap for a living while you can't afford to feed your family. Be happy and don't cry about your station in life. No one promised you fair and no not everyone is created equal or special. I just use my skillset to my advantage so I don't have to shovel elephant crap.

I'm not entitled to a damned thing. I choose my job and if that's a problem you know where you can go.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   

maddog628

I made it to the age of 50. Thanks for thinking for me. I'm sure you'll be happy shoveling elephant crap for a living while you can't afford to feed your family. Be happy and don't cry about your station in life. No one promised you fair and no not everyone is created equal or special. I just use my skillset to my advantage so I don't have to shovel elephant crap.

I'm not entitled to a damned thing. I choose my job and if that's a problem you know where you can go.

I have no problem with your life choices, as long as you recognize they are yours and yours alone.

I'm just sick of the whiners who have put themselves in debt going to school for degrees that do not get them jobs. And then blame everybody else but themselves.

We need plumbers, electricians, Garbageman, etc, etc, just to make society function. And yet you have mentally challenged idiots with degrees putting down the very people who allow them to live the life they lead. I laugh at College grads who wasted time getting a degree in liberal arts and then complain they can't find a job. Have fun paying off that bill pal, I say.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Society has a way to teach life lessons to those kinds of people. I really don't have time to do it myself and I think it's not really my place to do so. I'll survive regardless. I see where you are going but you have to understand the mindset coming up today. They were told they can be anything they want if only they pursue an education. I see the real monster here. The real monster is greed preying on the weak to make a buck.

If I had no choice but to shovel elephant crap I would have to grab a shovel and get in there. You can bet your bottom dollar I will be looking for something else while doing so.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Society has a way to teach life lessons to those kinds of people. I really don't have time to do it myself and I think it's not really my place to do so. I'll survive regardless. I see where you are going but you have to understand the mindset coming up today.

Maybe that is my problem. I don't understand it. I dropped out of high school, was homeless at times and yet still managed to find my niche and retire at 48. I never once stopped busting my hump and seeking a better life. Maybe my pride is getting in the way of understanding.

They were told they can be anything they want if only they pursue an education. I see the real monster here. The real monster is greed preying on the weak to make a buck.

I can only blame the parents and educators in this case. They are the ones who have allowed this to fester and breed.

If I had no choice but to shovel elephant crap I would have to grab a shovel and get in there. You can bet your bottom dollar I will be looking for something else while doing so.

For a short while I was in the fertilizer business and it was a great motivator to find something else. LOL
edit on 11-10-2013 by TDawgRex because: This edit is giving me a headache

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
"Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda, it's to late. Wake up!!!" (name the song and win a prize)

Anyone who caught Rowe on Bill Maher a number of episodes ago knows exactly what he's doing, why he's doing it and where he's coming from.

He has my 1000% support in this

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   

TXRabbit
"Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda, it's to late. Wake up!!!" (name the song and win a prize)

Anyone who caught Rowe on Bill Maher a number of episodes ago knows exactly what he's doing, why he's doing it and where he's coming from.

He has my 1000% support in this

Thanks for the heads up. One of the few times I liked Maher

Here is the video for those to lazy to read. (And you wonder why you're unemployed)

new topics

top topics

join