It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops handing out their own trading cards to public - Gotta catch 'em all!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
www.thestar.com...

In Toronto, Canada the police have a pet project, supported by an anonymous donor... trading cards for their officers. Many of them ride around on horseback, and their cards depict them on their horse.

Similar to hockey cards, or sports trading cards, the idea is to bond with the public.

Now, personally, I think this is a great idea. Police should be interacting with the community on a positive note. They should develop positive relationships with the public.

What I fear though, is the bureaucracy, which seeks quotas, arrests, and the general beating down of normal people just trying to get through life, until actual police policies shift more on the protection of public and helping public, it all could just end up as a bad dream.

So now you have people developing relationships with the people who will be too happy to book them for something stupid, (which, I really hope doesn't happen.)

I have been managing people in my company for awhile now, and I find the most effective means of changing someone's behaviour or attitude for the better, is to find some type of repatriation that THEY AGREE WITH. They have to accept whatever punishment, accept responsibility for mistakes, acknowledge that they made a mistake to begin with. AND, of course, overlooking or offering up the most minor punishment, is sometimes far better than throwing the book at them.

Toronto Police: to serve, protect and collect.
It’s an open secret — some police officers carry their own trading cards, not unlike those of hockey greats or Pokemon, and hand them out to people who ask.
Toronto’s finest are depicted on horseback, tearing up Lake Ontario on jet-skis and kneeling beside amber-eyed German shepherds. So far, officers with the marine unit, mounted unit and police dog services carry the trading cards.
And they’ve become quite the collector’s items among a small faction of fans.
“We get people running out of buildings saying, ‘Is that Tecumseh?” said Staff Insp. Bill Wardle, of the mounted unit and police dog service, referring to one of the horses.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Shame it's not more like Top Trumps. They could include things like:-

Number of arrests.
Number of convictions.
Number of peaceful protesters hit in the face or head.
Number of civilians shot.
Number of Doughnuts eaten in one session.

I have read about Police P.R campaigns in the U.K, but trading cards has to be something to consider from now on?
edit on 11/10/13 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Not the sort of 'reform' we are looking for.

How would we feel if an anonymous donor (questionable at best) printed up politician all-star cards? Do they think we are all 7 year olds?

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Those would be good ones to stick in the spokes of your bike!! Leave the 1909T Babe Ruth in a case....lol

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Cobaltic1978

Number of arrests.
Number of convictions.

I have read about Police P.R campaigns in the U.K, but trading cards has to be something to consider from now on?

Okay, that made me chuckle. I bet there's a few of the real ass hole ones who mark their own stats on the cards.

But seriously, I actually believe in a perfect world this thing would be accepted by all. You know, the neighbourhood officer, he makes his daily rounds in your area, helps a few people with groceries, checks up on all the single mothers, the grandmothers, makes sure everyone is safe, things are well in the community.

And when he gets back to the station, he gets a pat on the back because not only is crime down, but there's no arrests! See, he can't have either stat go up, because they have to remain at neutral levels.

And on his way home from the station, he caught up with Parker James, you know, the guy who just caught his wife cheating. Dammit, Parker had a few too many, Officer Rhodes though, he caught Parker before he drove off too far, before he put anyone in jeopardy, so he offered to tail him on the way home with his light on, make sure he made it back okay. Then he left his card there and told him to give him a call tomorrow.

You see, Rhodes knows he has to lend a helping hand, maybe a shoulder to pull up Parker, he knows him from his time in the community, and knows he doesn't wanna hurt anyone, so Parker is in a assload of trouble, feels kinda guilty about it since he has a lot of respect for Rhodes. Now the two gotta figure out how Parker is gonna keep from making such a dumbass mistake like drinking and driving again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

That might sound like a fairy tale, but you know, I have a family member in law enforcement. And he's in a small town. This is how he has to deal with the people there. There's only 2 cops per town. They are outnumbered. They kind of act like politicians, like police, like neighbours, friends, whatever role they need to to keep the peace. It might sounds like bollocks but I assure you... And... This fam of mine, he kinda had that personality before he took the gig. Probably why he chose the spot since he didn't wanna be some D-Bag cop tazing grandmas and beating up kids on skateboards.

The world should be churning out police that are actually there to help people. To resolve issues. To lend a shoulder. Ones that are not going to judge you (arrest you) unless absolutely necessary. (Harm, victims, etc.)

Years and years ago, people couldn't be arrested unless there was some kind of harm done to a citizen. And even in those cases, the citizen still had to request it.

Heck, I catch people stealing from me (happens as a business owner), the last thing I want is police getting involved. They don't know how to handle it. Give me a few minutes with the idiot, and I will set them straight, or Ill give them an option to make amends. In most cases, people that steal are one's you know. (family, employees, friends, etc.) And if it isn't, it's usually how they started, before graduating to stealing from random people. Handle it right the first time, and you eliminate the future drain they have on society.

Now a days, call the cops? Heck, you screw yourself cause they want to waste your time with reports, they treat you damn near like you were the one stealing (attitude), then they arrest the bugger no matter if you want them to or not, charge you money (via taxes) for a trial dog and pony show which you never asked for, which doesn't help you any, which will prob piss off the perp even more blaming you, which might lead them to robbing you when they get out, etc, etc.

Hell.

What happened to a good ol' slap upside the head Jimmy? The people in charge sure need one.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Dammitt!!! Timed out.

Anyway, as I previously wrote. The "city" of Oxford, PA also have their own trading cards right down to the dispatcher with her lemon sucking look on her face. If you go to their municipal building you can get all of them in a nice plastic pouch.

They have everything from paunchy cop who was too lazy to get out of his squad car to crewcut asshat thug cop who handcuffs kids too tight for skateboarding...

Eta...I find it ironic we both mentioned skateboarders at roughly the same time. Great minds...
edit on 11-10-2013 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-10-2013 by the owlbear because: becauz me no tipe toov good

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
First card to be found defaced will result in an all-out manhunt for the person making the "specific and actionable threat" against the holy police officer.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   

boncho

Cobaltic1978

Number of arrests.
Number of convictions.

Okay, that made me chuckle. I bet there's a few of the real ass hole ones who mark their own stats on the cards.

But seriously, I actually believe in a perfect world this thing would be accepted by all. You know, the neighbourhood officer, he makes his daily rounds in your area, helps a few people with groceries, checks up on all the single mothers, the grandmothers, makes sure everyone is safe, things are well in the community.

And when he gets back to the station, he gets a pat on the back because not only is crime down, but there's no arrests! See, he can't have either stat go up, because they have to remain at neutral levels.

And on his way home from the station, he caught up with Parker James, you know, the guy who just caught his wife cheating. Dammit, Parker had a few too many, Officer Rhodes though, he caught Parker before he drove off too far, before he put anyone in jeopardy, so he offered to tail him on the way home with his light on, make sure he made it back okay. Then he left his card there and told him to give him a call tomorrow.

You see, Rhodes knows he has to lend a helping hand, maybe a shoulder to pull up Parker, he knows him from his time in the community, and knows he doesn't wanna hurt anyone, so Parker is in a assload of trouble, feels kinda guilty about it since he has a lot of respect for Rhodes. Now the two gotta figure out how Parker is gonna keep from making such a dumbass mistake like drinking and driving again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

That might sound like a fairy tale, but you know, I have a family member in law enforcement. And he's in a small town. This is how he has to deal with the people there. There's only 2 cops per town. They are outnumbered. They kind of act like politicians, like police, like neighbours, friends, whatever role they need to to keep the peace. It might sounds like bollocks but I assure you... And... This fam of mine, he kinda had that personality before he took the gig. Probably why he chose the spot since he didn't wanna be some D-Bag cop tazing grandmas and beating up kids on skateboards.

The world should be churning out police that are actually there to help people. To resolve issues. To lend a shoulder. Ones that are not going to judge you (arrest you) unless absolutely necessary. (Harm, victims, etc.)

Years and years ago, people couldn't be arrested unless there was some kind of harm done to a citizen. And even in those cases, the citizen still had to request it.

Heck, I catch people stealing from me (happens as a business owner), the last thing I want is police getting involved. They don't know how to handle it. Give me a few minutes with the idiot, and I will set them straight, or Ill give them an option to make amends. In most cases, people that steal are one's you know. (family, employees, friends, etc.) And if it isn't, it's usually how they started, before graduating to stealing from random people. Handle it right the first time, and you eliminate the future drain they have on society.

Now a days, call the cops? Heck, you screw yourself cause they want to waste your time with reports, they treat you damn near like you were the one stealing (attitude), then they arrest the bugger no matter if you want them to or not, charge you money (via taxes) for a trial dog and pony show which you never asked for, which doesn't help you any, which will prob piss off the perp even more blaming you, which might lead them to robbing you when they get out, etc, etc.

Hell.

What happened to a good ol' slap upside the head Jimmy? The people in charge sure need one.

I've been arrested twice in the last for violating a "protection order", though I never threatened violence in any way...against my religion. I just wanted to see my kids and their mother wasn't answering her texts or emails...so I just kept asking. I was their stay at home dad until she got jealous and told me to get a job. She makes over $150k plus benefits...of course, her job has very demanding hours. I told her I would go back to work when our kids were in school, she kicked me out. She tried to just do it with a day nanny...nope...now she has a Chinese au pair and wonders why she needs to take my 3 year old to speech therepy.
But I digress...basically, yeah...the law is out of hand. $10, 000 bail for an unanswered nonthreatening text message. I spent 9 days in jail waiting on my hearing since I didnt even have $1000. And with this criminal record...getting a job has been impossible.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   

thisguyrighthere
First card to be found defaced will result in an all-out manhunt for the person making the "specific and actionable threat" against the holy police officer.

I would draw bad moustaches on all of them, but they already have pervy 'staches!

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   

the owlbear
reply to post by boncho

Dammitt!!! Timed out.

Anyway, as I previously wrote. The "city" of Oxford, PA also have their own trading cards right down to the dispatcher with her lemon sucking look on her face. If you go to their municipal building you can get all of them in a nice plastic pouch.

They have everything from paunchy cop who was too lazy to get out of his squad car to crewcut asshat thug cop who handcuffs kids too tight for skateboarding...

Eta...I find it ironic we both mentioned skateboarders at roughly the same time. Gdeat minds...
edit on 11-10-2013 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

Indeed!

Actually, since the world is never going to be idealized like I wish it to be... and after reading your post, I got to thinking. You can have the idea if you want.

Probably worth at least 100k if you put some effort into it.

So, let's roll with it. (The D-Bag cops, and the premise of the trading cards) It is not like we have a shortage of D-Bag cops out there.

Off hand I can think of a few:

The fat one in shorts beating up those skateboarding kids.
The ones that tazed the kid off the bridge and then tazed him again 9 times or some stupid amount.
The one who put her hands in two women's vagina's because they suspected they were smuggling fish drugs.
The one who tazed a 80 yo woman last week.
The one who shot a kid on a bus and got charged with murder last month.
The one who tazed the 14 yo in the back of the head and made her messed up for life.
The one who grabbed a cell phone store employee by the balls and threatened him cause he saw 3 cell phones and assumed 'drug dealer' not, telecom employee.
The one who jumped out of the car aiming his glock on a motorbike drive cause he was speeding, waiting until after threatening the guys life to identify himself. (then charged the dude with wiretapping wtf?)

Dear god, and that's just off the top of my head.

Okay, so take all these high profile asshat cops, and make a pokeman version card game of them. I guarantee you will sell a couple hundred thousand units with a little time and some cheap facebook marketing.

I'd say you are pretty good for at least 10-30k of revenue in your first year.

|____________________|
|Officer BeefyBikeBasher|
|...................160HP |
|Stage 3 .............COP|
|...................Traffic|
|weight 250lbs ...........|
|...........................|
||physical - pistol whip...|
||Threaten lawsuit.......|
|| IMMUNE || Call wife..|
||||||||||||weakness..|
|Donut -Attack +20.......|
|____________________.|

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by the owlbear

I've been arrested twice in the last for violating a "protection order", though I never threatened violence in any way...against my religion. I just wanted to see my kids and their mother wasn't answering her texts or emails...so I just kept asking. I was their stay at home dad until she got jealous and told me to get a job. She makes over $150k plus benefits...of course, her job has very demanding hours. I told her I would go back to work when our kids were in school, she kicked me out. She tried to just do it with a day nanny...nope...now she has a Chinese au pair and wonders why she needs to take my 3 year old to speech therepy.
But I digress...basically, yeah...the law is out of hand. $10, 000 bail for an unanswered nonthreatening text message. I spent 9 days in jail waiting on my hearing since I didnt even have $1000. And with this criminal record...getting a job has been impossible.

This is the type of injustice I'm talking about. Nearly anyone with half a brain can recognize a woman scorned, a woman who thinks she is above and beyond all walks of lowly men who they loathe because some innate emotional need wasn't satisfied, (probably by someone other than you, or possibly you, don't know the full story.) In any case, this resolution should be something simple.

Hell, throw the two of you in a room and lock it till you come to a compromise.

(To the off reader, Im not suggesting all woman are like this, certain men are just as messed up.) But a screwed up woman can be such a goddamned train of destruction because they sweet innocent scorned card they always play. And it's unfair to women of good character.

You took the stay at home bit, technically you should be entitled to alimony and everything else the system tries to squeeze out of the opposite sex. But forget that cause it's not the answer either.

Unless you were beating her, the need for a domestic charge is so unbelievably stupid. And unless you threatened to come over there and beat same goes.

Im going to presume not, which shows how messed up the system is. Primary goal is not to bring families together, or mend fences, obviously.

Like that stupid statistic of rape on campus. 1 out of 3 girls will be raped at university.

*info came out that the widely reported statistic, so often used by many organizations, had some little fine print, something like, "we only polled women who claimed to have had attempted rape happen to them."

Something absurd like that. So its more like, 1 out of 3 times a rapist might actually succeed.

The problem though, is that stupid ass statistics like that are used by everyone, including law enforcement, who get new quotas, "He sarge, we gotta go fix the rape epidemic, lets round up kids at the university! alls we need is girls to say they kind sorta felt like they were gonna get raped, and we is can gonna aresstses them deviant boys! says right here in the handbook."

"Hey I know, lets go to that group, the one thats for the girls who just got dumped, the emotional support one, im sure we can round up some rapists there if we interview them."

"Yea like, I totally want to charge my EX boyfriend. You see, we had sex last month and then I found out he cheated on me, so like, I totally take back my consent."
edit on 11-10-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
The fact that a police force should feel the need to launch such a PR campaign should be alarming by itself. They are, after all, supposed to be public servants and should act accordingly, not like jackbooted thugs throwing their weight around and intimidating the public and putting themselves on pedestals.

join