It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What we can do to help during the shutdown

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   
I've been thinking about this, and I've come up with this idea, thanks to a buddy on my other site I'm on, Military Gamers, who inspired this idea to me

Alot of us have been effected by this shutdown, either being furloughed, losing benefits, or will lose benefits come the 17th.

Some of us live somewhat close to another member, get to know who it is, link up and if need be, pool and share available resources, now if it becomes drastic, everyone has something to eat, everyone has a roof over their heads.
For example: I can hunt, so if someone has land in my area, but doesnt hunt, allow me permission to hunt on your land, and anything I bag, I'll share.
Someone else cans/preserves food, and another has fresh produce, etc, share your crops with the canner, and split what you have with that person.

Also, it doesnt have to be with someone from this site, it can be a friend, a neighbor, etc. Lets bring back the old bartering system.

Bottom line is this: we gotta take care of ourselves and each other, because the tards in DC isnt doing to help us.
edit on 10/11/2013 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

If I may simply add, get off the computers, get away from the tv's. Take a walk and check in on the elderly or disabled neighbors. A simple meal, an additional blanket, heel, even a cigarette would be greatly appreciated among some folks who can't get out of their homes.

Some may even simply need a ride to the store, or a lift to someplace where they can provide for themselves.

SnF for a great thread and a great concept!

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Exactly Furry One!!!

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Exactly, we don't want to abdicate responsibility to the state and that requires that we remember our own responsibilities to each other.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I'd suggest the very best thing we can do is to make sure we DO NOT forget this in the upcoming elections. Both parties are responsible and both need to be punished at the polls.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I know this topic isn't about Nirubu, Tea Party, doom, aliens, or hot babes jumping rope, but I wanted to give it a bump because it is probably the most important thread on ATS today.

Not what you can post, but what you can DO after you log off.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Great thread idea! I don't live in the US but that doesn't mean that it cannot happen in Canada as well. For everyone that doesn't live in the US, why not learn and start being proactive instead of reactive? If there is one thing that everyone can take away from the childish "leaders" in charge is that you can't trust them to make a good decision for the people they represent. They should stop paying these jokes and then you would see something being done more quickly.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Another damned bump!

This is important, people!

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
What a great idea!
Just another bump.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Well, my buddy and I have decided if we don't get paid on the first, we will pool our food, buy what else we can, and make sure our families eat.
It's a first step

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
My wife visits some elderly folks from time to time.

Today she went to visit someone and they couldn't come to the door. Long story short, my wife's intervention saved the little ol' lady's life.
My bride called 911, kept her alive until the paramedics arrived, kept her going until they got to the hospital.

A few hours have passed. I just returned from there (I brought the little ol' lady her cell phone charger) and they are going to admit her and keep her for a few days.

Just checking on a neighbor can mean the difference between life and death.

My wife is a hero.

(big grin)

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Protect you and yours cause if you live in a bad neighborhood and the funds are cut off and they know that you are a good and helpful person, who do you think they will go to??

Also if they get desperate, whose house will they break into or attempt to???

Lesson learned the hard way...NOT going through it again.

new topics

top topics

join