It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NBC/WSJ poll: 60 percent say fire every member of Congress

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by johncarter

So it's all about question 9 on the poll. Thing is, only 800 people were interviewed. Is that enough to form a proper opinion? Maybe a couple of hundred thousand would be better, to me, 800 is not enough:
Q9 If there were a place on your ballot that allowed you to vote to defeat and replace every single member of
Congress, including your own representative, would you do this, or not?
10/7-
9/13+** 7/13+ 1/12+ 8/11+
10/28-
30/10+
8/26-
30/10+ 6/10+ 3/10+
Yes ............. 60 57 56 54 45 48 47 50
No .............. 35 39 40 41 50 49 50 47
Not sure ... 5 4 4 5 5 3 3 3
+ Results shown reflect responses among registered voters
** Asked of one-half the respondents (FORM B).

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Can they re-create the poll and actually send it to everyone? Kind of like a census, but an actual poll for everyone to vote on...Then they can actually get an accurate number! I would imagine in reality, this percentage would be in the 90% range or better!

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Of course, any criminal activity should be prosecuted but, their removal from power is the most important thing.

I still have doubts about our ability to simply replace politicians with new ones and expect any real change. It is my assertion that the more important first step is to remove the official powers from the offices themselves. Many of the worst actors will voluntarily step down once the bulk of their power is removed.

"Throw Them All Out: How Politicians and Their Friends Get Rich Off Insider Stock Tips, Land Deals, and Cronyism That Would Send the Rest of Us to Prison"

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Now if we could just get this through everyone elses head, that voting ALL of them out and starting over is the best option, We may have a Chance. Their phony voting schemes wont help them, if the margin is to great. I'll bet the Voting is rigged and most of congress doesnt deserve to even be there

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Funny you didn't mention these other statistics taken from the same poll; (different article, but same poll)

firstread.nbcnews.com...

Just 24 percent of respondents have a favorable opinion about the GOP, and only 21 percent have a favorable view of the Tea Party, which are both at all-time lows in the history of poll.

By a 22-point margin (53 percent to 31 percent), the public blames the Republican Party more for the shutdown than President Barack Obama

And one year until next fall’s midterm elections, American voters prefer a Democratic-controlled Congress to a Republican-controlled one by eight percentage points (47 percent to 39 percent), up from the Democrats’ three-point advantage last month (46 percent to 43 percent).

What’s more, Obama’s political standing has remained relatively stable since the shutdown, with his approval rating ticking up two points since last month, and with the Democratic Party’s favorability rating declining just three points (from 42 percent to 39 percent).

a whopping 70 percent say congressional Republicans are putting politics first.

It's abundantly clear who the American voters blame for this recent fiasco and who will take the brunt of this storm come Nov. 2014. Keep up the good work, TP/GOP!!!!
edit on 11-10-2013 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Amen and Hallelujah! Tell it brother, tell it! Career politicians only serve themselves and their corporate masters. We the constituency have been eliminated from representation in our own government! All Democrats and Republicans need to go. They conspire together in Washington to scam, defraud, and extort money from the American people, while selling us down the drain.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I present to you our beloved Mr. Stubbs, the Mayor of Talkeetna, Alaska:

In 1997, Lauri Stec, manager of Nagley's General Store, found Stubbs in a box full of kittens in her parking lot. The owners were giving the kittens away; Stec chose "Stubbs" because he does not have a tail.[6]
A popular rumor states Stubbs was elected following a successful write-in campaign by voters who opposed the human candidates.[7] However, according to NPR, the cat could not have been elected as a write-in candidate because "the tiny town has no real mayor, so there was no election."[8] Nagley's General Store now doubles as Stubbs' Mayoral Office.[9]
On August 31, 2013, Stubbs was attacked by a dog. Three days later, Stubbs was reported to be recovering under heavy sedation at a veterinary hospital, having suffered a punctured lung and fractured sternum; the attacking dog had not been found.[10] A crowdsourcing page was set up to help pay for Stubbs' medical bills.[11]
Every afternoon, Stubbs drinks water out of a wineglass laden with catnip.[12]

Wikipedia

edit on 11-10-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Remove them from congress, and then to ensure that the punishment stings, set into motion a law that states that they can no longer hold public office and that they lose ALL of the benefits, including the pensions and medical stuff. Then have to deal with the consequences for any and all laws that they broke while in office.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   

FlyersFan

Unfortunately, we can't fire them. They are elected by (stupid) Americans.
So we are stuck with them through the election cycle. DRATS.

Here are your stupid Americans.

Lobbying and Political Influence

Misc Business $5,667,046,665
Finance/Insur/RealEst $5,612,000,794
Health $5,609,708,244
Communic/Electronics $4,593,320,868
Energy/Nat Resource $4,171,251,922
Other $3,008,073,599
Transportation $2,895,880,208
Ideology/Single-Issue $1,861,359,705
Agribusiness $1,689,948,822
Defense $1,607,506,970
Construction $616,177,140
Labor $560,315,564
Lawyers & Lobbyists $402,019,106

Oh wait, their not stupid, they are doing quite well at the expense to the rest of the nation.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   

In my humble opinion, this is the best use of the polls to date!! I believe these jerks care about them since it MIGHT affect thier future paycheck and power! Take that statistic and imagine your image shrinking!

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   

EarthCitizen07
Well midterm elections are approaching and I think THAT would be the best time to make a statement of intent. If you are not happy with your representative then please vote them out. Take the time to study each candidate and vote for one you think means well. Also poeple should be encouraged to vote for small parties if the big ones dont suit their agenda. There is no such thing as a wasted vote, unless you succumb to peer pressure and dumb thinking.

60% think most or all of congress are criminals or at least worthless scum. I agree to a large extent!

Even if you are happy with your representative, you still need to vote them out. Every area seems to be ok with theirs but hate the whole. Thus if everyone just votes based on the local individuals nothing will change. We need to vote every incumbent out of office, even if it means you vote for someone you don't like or is part of the opposite party. It is the only way to produce real change. A few cycles of this and we will start to see change. Also do not vote for any multi millionaires. We need real people to encourage real change.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Firing all congressman certainly has my vote.

While there are some people out there saying the 'people' hate one side more than the other..

Overall congressional approval has always been low.
edit on 11-10-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
In my opinion the whole entirety of the government needs to be fired and rebooted especially the POTUS they are all treasonous self preserving snakes in the grass.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000

That means 40% will still vote their own hack into re-election because he's their loser and that makes it special or something. Ugh...

Until we hit 70-80% repeatedly, I don't think the Pols will even pay attention. Unless it actually happens ...and midterms are historically VERY low for any turn out...then they'll laugh at the mere suggestion of a total roll over for offices.

America has never had the guts to do it before, as a nation and on purpose. Will we find the courage to save ourselves this time? I'm dubious. Very very doubtful. I hope though... Gotta have hope.

I think it is even worse than that...of those 60% I bet a lot won't even vote or have a history of voting.....

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Hang em high! The Tea Party ones first!

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

johncarter

Throw the bums out.

That’s the message 60 percent of Americans are sending to Washington in a new NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll, saying if they had the chance to vote to defeat and replace every single member of Congress, including their own representative, they would. Just 35 percent say they would not.

According to the latest NBC/WSJ poll, the shutdown has been a political disaster. One in three say the shutdown has directly impacted their lives, and 65 percent say the shutdown is doing quite a bit of harm to the economy. NBC's Chuck Todd reports.
The 60 percent figure is the highest-ever in that question recorded in the poll, registered in the wake of the government shutdown and threat of the U.S. defaulting on its debt.

NBC/WSJ poll: 60 percent say fire every member of Congress

It seems the american public have had enough with our dear congressional fat cats. It doesn´t surprise me one bit that the greater part of this country want them out, or even in their more juicy dreams, hanging on all available lamp posts around the Capitol Hill.

What say you about this poll? And if fired, what should we do with them. Sue them, demand them arrested or what?
edit on 11-10-2013 by johncarter because: (no reason given)

...And what do the other 40 Percent or So Really Think in Private ? .............About 60 Percent of the 40 are more than Likely Indecisive " Fence Sitters " on Any Important Life Changing Topic , and the Rest of them are probably living in " Make Belive I Don't Wanna Hear Any Bad News In My Imaginary La La Land " Sheeple . Or Maybe I am just exagurating a Tad to Much here ? .........

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

EarthCitizen07
Well midterm elections are approaching and I think THAT would be the best time to make a statement of intent. If you are not happy with your representative then please vote them out. Take the time to study each candidate and vote for one you think means well. Also poeple should be encouraged to vote for small parties if the big ones dont suit their agenda. There is no such thing as a wasted vote, unless you succumb to peer pressure and dumb thinking.

60% think most or all of congress are criminals or at least worthless scum. I agree to a large extent!

Yea cause that has been working out for us up till now?

wake up man, the whole system is broke and corrupt ,yea you can choose ..uh just btween two people we pick though what a joke...end the party system entirely

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
As much as I would LOVE to see this happen, it won't. Just watch. Congress has, what, an 11 or 13% approval rating, but almost nobody ever gets voted out. When it comes down to it, citizens seem to say "Vote out everyone except for my guy..."

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Vote them out,ban lobbyists and disband both parties.I suggest voting 3rd party or independent.I also agree with another poster about setting up the Greek method like jury duty you do your bit and go back to your life after your done.

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

I find it interesting how everyone ignores the Senate, the Senate is far worse actually, they nothing but corporate yes men who have indefinite terms, they are all bought and paid for by the scumbag corporations and big banks.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join