It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Red Alert Issued - Indian East Coast - Super Cyclone PHAILINE

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

My bad! Thanks for pointing that out. These news channels say many things, sometimes very confusing stuff...and I just typed that without first checking the facts. Will keep this mistake in mind before posting next time.

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I looked at the radar. This storm is Hugh. It almost covers the whole Indian ocean ! Be safe folks. Good luck.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by UnknownEntity

The size alone is awe-inspiring, and not in a good way! This one is likely to be very bad!

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   

khimbar
It's a shame how little attention this thread is getting; this is very big and very dangerous and will probably end badly.

Clearly it's in the wrong geographical area to care about.

Fifty-five flags is "little attention"? Seems like a good amount to me. yes, this will probably be very bad, unless a lot of people are relocated, and quickly. I would hope that those in the area have evacuated, and thus aren't online talking about it.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I located a site with some updates here - link

As of approximately two hours ago, from that site:

Round-up so far of Cyclone Phailin in India An immense, powerful cyclone packing destructive winds has hammered eastern India, forcing more than 500,000 people to evacuate and sending seawater surging inland. Here are the latest developments: The confirmed casualties are now seven although there are few more The number is significantly lower than what it could have been because many have been shifted to cyclone relief shelters Severe damage reported in south Odisha, especially Ganjam and Puri Lot of the roads that have been blocked bring cleared by relief workers Doctors, medicines and food have been arranged in vulnerable districts The casualty figure will change as few places are still cut-off Power is down even in parts which were not at the centre of the storm In Gopalpur, where the cyclone made landfall, almost 90-95% people have been evacuated Source: NDTV

So, the fatalities are far lower than they could have been, though the damage will surely be severe. Very good to see that most people were evacuated!

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Cyclone Phailin: Superior preparedness could reduce casualties

If there was a silver lining in the grim foreboding of a monster storm, it's the realization that lives aren't that cheap in India any longer. For, the measures taken by the administration in the run-up to Cyclone Phailin to reduce casualties and minimize losses doesn't have parallels.

The superior preparedness and response this time for disaster is in sharp contrast to previous disastrous storms like the 1999 super cyclone. They are also in contrast with the Uttarakhand disaster when the state authorities were caught flat-footed. This time disaster management authorities are confident of meeting the challenge with minimal casualty.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 03:20 AM
link   
India has come a long way in disaster management since 1999...this has efficiently been shown by the NDRF management team. Over 900000 people evacuated before the storm hit land, reports of around 9 dead...a considerable reduction from the over 10000 dead in 1999.

Although, lives of 18 sailors are still a concern, as coast guard lost communication with the Merchant Ship once the Cyclone had landfall.

The rebuilding and rehabilitation work will now pose the biggest challenge, as damage to property worth lac's of crore's of rupees is already being reported by Odisha Chief Minister.

There is also a big threat of disease spreading and water clogging resulting in delay in help and assistance. However, personally for me, I am just so glad that the disaster management protocol was followed and precious human lives were successfully saved.

Thank you all for your stars, comments and most importantly, for the PRAYERS.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I can not even imagine this where I live, we have had windspeeds beaufort scale 11 but never any hurricanes this size..

I can't even Imagine how I would react if they told me to leave my house ?

Stay save out there.. and I hope that everyone gets compensated for the damage.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   

LadyGreenEyes

khimbar
It's a shame how little attention this thread is getting; this is very big and very dangerous and will probably end badly.

Fifty-five flags is "little attention"? Seems like a good amount to me. yes, this will probably be very bad, unless a lot of people are relocated, and quickly. I would hope that those in the area have evacuated, and thus aren't online talking about it.

55 is little attention, also the thread is already two days old not a new story.

Put a headline Obama is putting sugar in our ears at night and it would get 100 flags in the first hour.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Taggart

LadyGreenEyes

khimbar

55 is little attention, also the thread is already two days old not a new story.

Put a headline Obama is putting sugar in our ears at night and it would get 100 flags in the first hour.

Maybe, maybe not. Sometimes flags just fall in funny places. Whatever happens to catch the eye on a given day, when other days the same subject doesn't get a lot of attention at all. I don't think anyone was ignoring this simply because it's a disaster someplace else, though. Considering how much money private individuals from the United States donate after major disasters in other countries, I simply don't see that being a problem.

Sorry for the delayed response. Computer and various issues, and haven't had time to check in here for replies.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join