It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Red Alert Issued - Indian East Coast - Super Cyclone PHAILINE

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by UnknownEntity

I hope and pray thats the case. The worse cyclone in terms of deaths was cat 3 that hit Bangladesh in the 70s, 3 to 5 hundred thousand deaths. Kind of put things into perspective with this cat 5.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I am sure you know, but this is NDTV 24x7, Indian TV channel. Nothing specific at the moment, just the live strapline across the bottom......

www.ndtv.com...

Might be worth an eye on as time gets closer...

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Mufcutcakeyumyum

Great link. Thanks

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
If you compare the recent update today to the figures recorded yesterday at around the same time, this thing is gaining a lot of momentum.......

hisz.rsoe.hu...

Particularly wave size and wind / gusts. Course is still fairly steady.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Indian man on the tv was saying they are not expecting a large loss of life.. looks like a cat 3 now..
hope hes right..

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Mufcutcakeyumyum

Date: 09-11 OCT 2013
Cyclone-5 PHAILIN
ADV LAT LON TIME WIND PR STAT
1 13.20 93.40 10/09/00Z 35 - TROPICAL STORM
2 13.40 92.80 10/09/06Z 40 - TROPICAL STORM
3 13.70 92.20 10/09/12Z 40 - TROPICAL STORM
4 14.10 91.60 10/09/18Z 50 - TROPICAL STORM
5 14.40 91.30 10/10/00Z 55 - TROPICAL STORM
6 14.90 91.00 10/10/06Z 65 - CYCLONE-1
7 15.40 90.30 10/10/12Z 100 - CYCLONE-3
8 15.60 89.40 10/10/18Z 125 - CYCLONE-4
9 15.80 88.80 10/11/00Z 135 - CYCLONE-4
10 16.10 88.40 10/11/06Z 135 - CYCLONE-4
11 16.70 87.70 10/11/12Z 140 - CYCLONE-5
+12 17.70 86.40 10/12/00Z 145 - CYCLONE-5
+24 19.00 85.10 10/12/12Z 130 - CYCLONE-4
+36 20.30 84.00 10/13/00Z 100 - CYCLONE-3
+48 22.10 83.10 10/13/12Z 65 - CYCLONE-1
+72 24.80 82.20 10/14/12Z 30 - TROPICAL DEPRESSION

weather.unisys.com...

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Hi Puterman, thanks for the alternative source. You are vastly more learned than me so am I right in deducing that this will intensify through to tomorrow then weaken from second half of tomorrow onwards?
The latest on the TV channel doesn't seem too stricken but it does seem like a big deal especially as the land there is so densely populated. I know evacuations are underway etc but still.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
What's weird to me is how little this is being talked about. It's almost invisible on social media here in the U.S, at least from what I can see. Even on ATS, this is the only thread about this.

And yet it's huge. Potentially catastrophic, and nothing.

People are all about predicting doom, but when it's actually happening, nothing?

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Inannamute

I have been following this all day, am now watching NDTV 24x7 Indian TV. They are currently debating if they are ready. A meteorologist, Eric Holthaus is currently saying it is potentially worse than the one in 1999.

Thankfully it seems that evacuation plans are well underway so hopefully it can be ridden out as safely as possible.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Reuters.com: Cyclone Phailin threatens 12 million, says disaster authority

Link: Reuters.com

I hope alot of people got/get the news on time over there.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by coolism

Im just sat in my living room depressed.
We must pray or beleive this from your link.

India's disaster preparedness has improved dramatically in recent years, and aid workers praised precautions taken by authorities for Phailin such as early warning, pre-positioning of rations in shelters and orderly evacuations.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Infrared satellite pic of storm closing in on coastline that just came over twitter. THAT is huge and very ugly!

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   

The Indian Meteorological Department warned that Phailin was a "very severe cyclonic storm" that was expected to hit with maximum sustained winds of 210-220 kilometres per hour. However, the U.S. Navy's Joint Typhoon Warning Center in Hawaii forecast maximum sustained winds of 269 km/h with gusts up to 315 km/h. U.S. meteorologists said the storm is flirting with historic power. "If it's not a record it's really, really close,"

www.cbc.ca...

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Bumping this up, because it deserves the attention. I've never seen a satellite image where the wind speed was depicted by black. Crazy. Praying for the people of India.

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   
whoa that is one big mother of a storm......stay safe people of india

sounds like we need some storm chasers on the ground for some updates....

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Latest Update as of 04:00am e.s.t

Damage expected
* Extensive damage expected to kutcha houses, some damage to old buildings.
* Large scale disruption of power and communication lines.
* Disruption of rail and road traffic due to extensive flooding.
* Potential threat from flying debris.
* Flooding of escape routes.
* Extensive damage to agricultural crops.

Additional advisory:
* Mobilise evacuation from coastal areas.
* Judicious regulation of rail and road traffic.
* People in affected areas to remain indoors during cyclone landfall.

Live Hourly Updates Here

Srikakulam: As many as 52,000 locals were today evacuated and 25,000 people accommodated in cyclone shelters in Srikakulam district in view of Cyclone Phailin which is expected to cross the shore by this evening.
Up To The Moment Link Here

Cyclone Phailin forces tens of thousands to flee northeast India

Cyclone Phailin, the most powerful storm to take aim at northeastern India since 1999, forced the evacuation of tens of thousands along the Bay of Bengal coastline as it threatened to flood escape routes, disrupt rail service and cut off power for weeks.

Phailin, which means “sapphire” in Thai, has winds of 135 mph and was expected to make landfall about 6 p.m. local time Saturday, according to L.S. Rathore, director-general of the India Meteorological Department. The U.S. Navy’s Joint Typhoon Warning Center in Hawaii estimated Phailin’s top winds at 161 mph, a Category 5 on the U.S. hurricane scale, which is different than the one used by the rest of the world. Hurricane Andrew in 1992, was a Category 5 storm.

Phailin sent at least 64,000 people fleeing from their homes and forced ships out of its path, and is expected to cause crop and infrastructure damage. Twenty-six of the world’s 35 deadliest tropical cyclones, the storms that include hurricanes and typhoons, have occurred in the Bay of Bengal

So at this hour, thankfully there has been significant information and time to make preparations for the potential catastrophic natural disaster. However, certainly there will be a lot of infrastructure damage that will rise into the billions of dollars. As thousands flee the coastal area, there is still fear that many may not have had the time or means to evacuate.

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Does anyone have a link to an India live feed that's following this story? I found this site:

zeenews.india.com...

very informative but the news feed that works is not in English.

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by canucks555

That's what I've been trying to find for the past hour or so, with no luck.

Hopefully someone can find an english live feed...

This behemoth is unbelievable.

There's going to be tens of thousands of displaced people in the aftermath, my gawd.

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   

ItDepends
Latest Update as of 04:00am e.s.t

Damage expected
* Extensive damage expected to kutcha houses, some damage to old buildings.
* Large scale disruption of power and communication lines.
* Disruption of rail and road traffic due to extensive flooding.
* Potential threat from flying debris.
* Flooding of escape routes.
* Extensive damage to agricultural crops.

Additional advisory:
* Mobilise evacuation from coastal areas.
* Judicious regulation of rail and road traffic.
* People in affected areas to remain indoors during cyclone landfall.

Live Hourly Updates Here

Srikakulam: As many as 52,000 locals were today evacuated and 25,000 people accommodated in cyclone shelters in Srikakulam district in view of Cyclone Phailin which is expected to cross the shore by this evening.
Up To The Moment Link Here

Cyclone Phailin forces tens of thousands to flee northeast India

Cyclone Phailin, the most powerful storm to take aim at northeastern India since 1999, forced the evacuation of tens of thousands along the Bay of Bengal coastline as it threatened to flood escape routes, disrupt rail service and cut off power for weeks.

Phailin, which means “sapphire” in Thai, has winds of 135 mph and was expected to make landfall about 6 p.m. local time Saturday, according to L.S. Rathore, director-general of the India Meteorological Department. The U.S. Navy’s Joint Typhoon Warning Center in Hawaii estimated Phailin’s top winds at 161 mph, a Category 5 on the U.S. hurricane scale, which is different than the one used by the rest of the world. Hurricane Andrew in 1992, was a Category 5 storm.

Phailin sent at least 64,000 people fleeing from their homes and forced ships out of its path, and is expected to cause crop and infrastructure damage. Twenty-six of the world’s 35 deadliest tropical cyclones, the storms that include hurricanes and typhoons, have occurred in the Bay of Bengal

So at this hour, thankfully there has been significant information and time to make preparations for the potential catastrophic natural disaster. However, certainly there will be a lot of infrastructure damage that will rise into the billions of dollars. As thousands flee the coastal area, there is still fear that many may not have had the time or means to evacuate.

My prayers and fervent wishes for the poor people trapped in the path of this natural behemoth-the poor in their fragile shacks,the children.This is another reminder-we live off/on Her,not She off Us-mother nature will always have the last word,not humans,no matter how advanced our technologies+achievements.I am going to be watching this one-with hope in my heart that the most vulnerable gets through this with minimum casualties.Very worrying indeed,I really feel for those people.

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   
As of 1400 IST...Phailin is just 150 kms from the coast. The local news channels have stated dramatic winds already being felt in costal villages. This cyclone is expected to be one of the strongest in ages to hit the Indian east coast and is already equal in power to the 1999 cyclone which killed over 10000 people.

Already there are reports of at least 18 fishermen lost at sea and many more are feared trapped.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join