It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Christianity make a claim no other religion makes?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   

FreeMason
To me it seems the mark of a true religion is the one that distinguishes it from all other worldly things. And if I'm not mistaken, only Christianity makes the claim that only Christ saves, that no good works you do can undo any of your bad works.

That without Christ we are dead in our sin.

Without over-generalizing too much, other religions all emphasize something you need to do to achieve transcendence.

And that is the opposite of what Christ says.

Other world views may or may not require anything because other world views may deny the need to transcend all together, which makes them completely worldly which is unimpressive.

So I would say Christianity alone has a mark unlike any other.

Actually, isn't the main premise of (Roman Catholic) Christianity that however nasty you are, whatever evil you do, if you just admit it in a church then your are forgiven - nothing else required.

I'd rather people have to work for contrition. Words mean nothing.

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by FreeMason

A God that is any God at all, would be too holy, and too righteous to "see our worth", because we are too fallen and sinful to be in His presence. You don't seriously think you're a good person do you? I can probably find thousands of times you wronged someone else. Purposely.

I personally believe I am a good person. I do not hold grudges, I do not get physically violent, and I do not say things I believe are untrue. Because if I were to do any of those things, I would feel sick at myself.

FYI: that's not a god you're talking about. That sounds to me like the world's most self-centered arrogant shallow little brat. And if you're worshipping that pitiful little cretin, you must have zero self-respect.

It's like Buddhism...."the first step is admitting you are suffering".

Only the first step is admitting you're a sinner.

I prefer to acknowledge that I'm actually worth something. I know, that's crazy. But hey, it works.

Perhaps because our sinful nature is not unique to Christians or religious people.

All this talk about sin...did you realize you are composed of matter that is bound by the laws of physics? You did? Then where in the HELL did you get the idea that perfection was a reasonable thing to expect of yourself, or hate yourself for not having? News flash: NOTHING is perfect. NOTHING lasts forever. And sinning is just another word for the trial and error process by which we all learn.

Sounds to me like you're just ungrateful for having to go through the same crap the rest of us do.

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   

AndyMayhew

FreeMason
To me it seems the mark of a true religion is the one that distinguishes it from all other worldly things. And if I'm not mistaken, only Christianity makes the claim that only Christ saves, that no good works you do can undo any of your bad works.

That without Christ we are dead in our sin.

Without over-generalizing too much, other religions all emphasize something you need to do to achieve transcendence.

And that is the opposite of what Christ says.

Other world views may or may not require anything because other world views may deny the need to transcend all together, which makes them completely worldly which is unimpressive.

So I would say Christianity alone has a mark unlike any other.

Actually, isn't the main premise of (Roman Catholic) Christianity that however nasty you are, whatever evil you do, if you just admit it in a church then your are forgiven - nothing else required.

I'd rather people have to work for contrition. Words mean nothing.

Catholics espouse more than that. And regarding having to work.

Through faith you want to do good works, but good works will not save you. Capiche?

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
India has long history of stoned Sadhus and man made gods and philosophies. Have you read the sutta where Buddha meets the Creator and hide himself from Him to show his occult power superiority? It shows you that you can mix religions only to some point. I like buddhism the way I like science. They both somewhat calm my mind while keeping me from sticking to illusion (and falling into women traps
). Buddhism implants an idea that life isn't something you should appreciate or enjoy at all. Could it be just lack of understanding of God's all loving masterplan? Or is it that "He that is not with me is against me"? Why would God wanted someone like this to live in His Universe after death? Why would someone like this wanted to live forever in a cruel universe?

Someone asked Zen Master, “what is the essence of Buddhism?”
Zen Master answered, “avoid all evil, do all good.”
He snorted, “Even a three-year-old kid knows this saying.”
The Zen master said, “Although a three-year-old kid knows it, an eighty-year-old greybeard may be incapable to do it.”

edit on 12/10/2013 by PapagiorgioCZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Christians are no more judgmental or war mongering than any other person. In fact, you think Christians are more judgmental than say, Nazis? Or Communists? Or Muslims? HAHAHAHAH Sorry for my laughing in your FACE!

Wow, very mature. Do you even read the bible? It says "Judge not lest ye be judged" Christians aren't supposed to judge, and yes, they do so more than anyone else for that reason right there

But you're just so biased or inexperienced in the world, perhaps you should walk around the Muslim world someday wearing a gold star and see how much they lke you?

You did notice the part where I said you can add in ALL organized religion right? Or were you too busy "laughing in my FACE" to properly read the whole thing?

And you think just believers are like this?

You don't read very well, you're hostile and childish. I never said "just" believers were like that. You "believers" though put yourself on a pedestal like you're something special then only follow scriptures you agree with. If it's something you don't agree with you make some ridiculous excuse how it's an "allegory" or something, THAT makes you MORE hypocritical than me. I don't claim to be righteous, I just claim yo be an average, flawed, sinful person.

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I prefer to acknowledge that I'm actually worth something. I know, that's crazy. But hey, it works.

Ahhh... lol... I almost spit my beer out with that read.

You do have a good heart and most definitely are worthy. God knows.

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   

I think Christianity is a philosophy that has withstood the test of time. It has lasted a long time.

I also think more and more "Christians" are beginning to think for them self and realize that what they have heard every single Sunday by one man and by his views may be a little misleading and not the "way" to go or the "truth" as they see and or feel it.

By taking the Bible and holding it and teaching your self and thinking for yourself only then will you understand Jesus and "his-story" by your own minds eye. Then you are fully responsible for what you believe.

Jesus may be the "way" out of this hell on Earth. Earth is pretty and all but the trials and tribulations can be a drag from one life to another.

I see him as "the way" out from this realm to another. After all, he is the first Adam.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by MildBill

Everything you said about Christianity's history is true, but the problem is, you fail to realize, as do most is that, Jesus addressed all that Matthew 7, everything happened as he said and as you posted.

The Narrow and Wide Gates

13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

True and False Prophets

15 “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. 16 By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17 Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.

True and False Disciples

21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

So embedded within the large total generic tag "Christians" would be the truth Jesus spoke of, but most would be on the broad road, as he was addressing Christians, Jews and potentials Christians at the time he made those statements. Not every other religion in the world, or even atheists and agnostics.

The true correct Christian religion would be a very small minority by comparison. But the point is it would exist, and it would look very different than main stream Christianity that sprung up out of the Roman Catholic church. In fact some of those mainstream Christians wouldn't even consider "them" to be Christians today, as they had drifted so far from the truth of Christianity, they can't even see it anymore themselves.

Being set free from the lies Christianity has taught for centuries and learning what the bible really teaches is very liberating as Jesus said it would.

John 8:32

And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

edit on 13-10-2013 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

I apologize for making you waste the alcohol. I was trying to make a point though, and it seems I succeeded.

You do have a good heart and most definitely are worthy. God knows.

I don't care what he knows. But I do appreciate the sentiment. The regard is mutual.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   
to those arguing over whether jesus was god, man, or man-god: technically he was a demi-god. born of a human mother with a god for a father, just like hercules and achilles, only instead of physical prowess, he gained magick. (perhaps his father god was hermes, master magician, and lying trickster?)

the most unique thing about christianity is you dont have to take responsibilty for your actions. it the religion of the scapegoat. you can be an absolutely horrible person, then repent and be forgiven.

heres the technical bit about how that happens. you place your crimes on the head of an innocent and sacrifice him to yhvh. yhvh takes this blood sacrifice and forgives you, because all your crimes were on the victim.

think about that. say you stole a car and got busted. then a guy comes in and confesses to doing it. would you let this innocent man take the fall for you? do you teach your children this? talk about shirking responsibility.

the greek after life evolved over time, just as their gods did. at first you became a shade that lasted as long as someone remembered you. later you got judged by hades, god of the dead, based on your life. if you lived well, you went to the elysian fields where the weather was perfect, you had a farm, and you lived in peace forever.

now, i dont know what comes next. none of us do. however, i live as if i will be judged. i dont shirk my responsiblity to be a good person just because i can lay my wrong doing on the head of an innocent man.

“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.” Marcus Aurelius

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   
You got it wrong about demi-god, because a demi-god is born from sexual relations between a god and a woman. Jesus was immaculately conceived.

As for the rest of what you say, you need to look up what "ransom" really refers to.

In ancient times a ransom was paid by a captured warrior to be set free, knights, lords etc.

What Jesus has done, is because He is OUR LORD, He has paid OUR RANSOM for us.

This is not immoral or "sacrificial" in any sense how you described it.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   

FreeMason
You got it wrong about demi-god, because a demi-god is born from sexual relations between a god and a woman. Jesus was immaculately conceived.

As for the rest of what you say, you need to look up what "ransom" really refers to.

In ancient times a ransom was paid by a captured warrior to be set free, knights, lords etc.

What Jesus has done, is because He is OUR LORD, He has paid OUR RANSOM for us.

This is not immoral or "sacrificial" in any sense how you described it.

how the seed was planted in irrelevant. jesus had a god for a father, and a human mother, making him a demi-god.

nowhere in the bible is "ransom", but "scapegoating" is an ot jewish ritual.

jesus was a "scapegoat".

from wiki:

Throughout the year, the sins of the ancient Israelites were daily transferred to the regular sin offerings as outlined in the Torah in Leviticus Ch 16. Once a year, on the tenth day of the seventh month in the Jewish calendar, the Day of Atonement, the High Priest of Israel sacrificed a bull for a sin offering for his own sins. Subsequently he took two goats and presented them at the door of the tabernacle with a view to dealing with the corporate sins of God's people — the nation of Israel. Two goats were chosen by lot: one to be "The Lord's Goat", which was offered as a blood sacrifice, and the other to be the "Azazel" scapegoat to be sent away into the wilderness. The blood of the slain goat was taken into the Holy of Holies behind the sacred veil and sprinkled on the mercy seat, the lid of the ark of the covenant. Later in the ceremonies of the day, the High Priest confessed the sins of the Israelites to Yahweh placing them figuratively on the head of the other goat, the Azazel scapegoat, who "took them away" never to be seen again. The sin of the nation was thus "atoned for" (paid for) by the "The Lord's Goat" and "The Azazel Goat".

In Christian thought this process prefigures the sacrifice of Christ on the cross through which God has been propitiated and sins can be expiated. Jesus Christ is seen to have fulfilled both of the Biblical "types" - the Lord's goat that deals with the pollution of sin and the scapegoat that removes the "burden of sin". Christians believe that sinners who own their guilt and confess their sins, exercising faith and trust in the person and sacrifice of Jesus, are forgiven of their sins.

Since the second goat was sent away to perish,[14] the word "scapegoat" has developed to indicate a person who is blamed and punished for the sins of others. -wiki

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Unity_99

And if I'm not mistaken, only Christianity makes the claim that only Christ saves, that no good works you do can undo any of your bad works.

1Peter 4:8

And above all things have fervent love among yourselves: for love shall cover a multitude of sins.

Matthew 5:9

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

Luke 7:47

Therefore I say unto you, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loves little.

James 2:14-17

What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

Between Love and Faith, Love is the highest attribute.

Thanks Unity,

There is another to add, a very "good work" that "undoes sin", Sacramental Confession (John 20:23).

If you are a non-Catholic Christian who rejects the Sacrament of Confession. You must personally with true
contrition, from the heart repent and confess your mortal (serious)l sins to God.

Jesus said to the first ministerial priests:

Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Doesn't matter. Still a demigod. God had relations with Mary. Doesn't matter how he did it. A child born of a mortal and a god is a demigod, regardless of how it happened.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by stormson

how the seed was planted in irrelevant. jesus had a god for a father, and a human mother, making him a demi-god.

The Doctrine of the Incarnation teaches that Christ was fully God and fully human, not half and half. While one might disagree with that doctrine, it is what Christians believe, and profess in the creeds, so saying that Christians worship a demigod is not true.

(Also, to "FreeMason" -- the Immaculate Conception is the conception of Mary, not the conception of Christ. Confusing the two is a common mistake for non-Catholics to make.)

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

The Doctrine of the Incarnation teaches that Christ was fully God and fully human, not half and half. While one might disagree with that doctrine, it is what Christians believe, and profess in the creeds, so saying that Christians worship a demigod is not true.

How does that even work? That makes no sense. They do indeed worship a demigod, they're just too ignorant to realize it.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

That fact that you are incapable of understanding something does not mean that no one else is able to.

These questions have been debated and discussed for almost 2,000 years by some of the most intelligent people that have ever graced this earth. It is the height of immature arrogance to dismiss all of them, simply because you can't understand their conclusions.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

That fact that you are incapable of understanding something does not mean that no one else is able to.

Do you need to look up the definition of the word 'demigod'? I think you do. You sound like you don't understand that Jesus was born of a human mother and a god. That is the very literal definition of a demigod, and that is what Christians worship.

Here, I looked it up for you.

These questions have been debated and discussed for almost 2,000 years by some of the most intelligent people that have ever graced this earth. It is the height of immature arrogance to dismiss all of them, simply because you can't understand their conclusions.

I'm questioning. It's not my fault you don't explain their answers very well.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   

adjensen
reply to post by stormson

This isn't Christianity, per say, it's a doctrine of a brand of Christianity, Catholicism, and isn't something that can be found in the Bible. It's a creative afterthought used to justify the doctrine of divinity of Jesus, something that even Jesus himself never taught.

Jesus never taught that he was the God. In fact, most of Christianity today is based on the words of other men, and not on the teachings of Jesus himself, while he was alive.

edit on 15-10-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

AfterInfinity
That is the very literal definition of a demigod, and that is what Christians worship.

No, that is not what Christians worship.

A Christian is defined as one who believes in the Nicene Creed, which says, in part:

one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God,
Begotten of his Father before all worlds,
God from God, Light from Light,
True God from true God
Begotten, not made,
Consubstantial with the Father

I honestly don't know why I bother with you -- you've never shown anything but ignorance and petulance when it comes to actually understanding what Christians believe and why. I don't think that you need to agree with it, but refusing to even bother trying to understand it is arrogant, childish and ignorant.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join