It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about editing and time zone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I wanted to edit my post for a correction but got a message saying it could not be edited after 4 hours. If I were in the eastern time zone that would have just barely been correct but I am in the central time zone and it had been 3 hours. My post is time 8:15 and my attempt to edit was about 11:17 CDT.

I guessing this is a glitch. Can it be fixed?

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by liveandlearn

You actually only have 2 hours to edit your post iirc.. that 4 hour message as been there for a long time, but its incorrect.

If you edit your post from this thread, at the top it should say something like "Apply your edit (you have 119 minutes remaining to edit this post):"

Your timezone shouldn't matter as it should be standard practice for webmasters to store times in UTC format on the backend.
edit on 11/10/13 by Kr0nZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Kr0nZ

You actually only have 2 hours to edit your post iirc.. that 4 hour message as been there for a long time, but its incorrect.

If you edit your post from this thread, at the top it should say something like "Apply your edit (you have 119 minutes remaining to edit this post):"

Your timezone shouldn't matter as it should be standard practice for webmasters to store times in UTC format on the backend.
edit on 11/10/13 by Kr0nZ because: (no reason given)

Thanks for letting me know the 2 hr limit. However, I just looked at my profile and noticed my last visit as Oct. 12, 2013. Where I am it is Oct. 11, 2013 at 6:36 pm. Guess they aren't using UTC.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   

I dont think you know what 'backend' means, when you click your profile and view something that's called a 'frontend',
dates/time should be stored in a standard format on the backend (the servers database), then is converted to whatever TZ you want for the frontend (what you view). the point im trying to make is if you make a post then change your timezone to +2 than the TZ you posted it in, it wouldnt affect anything.

that said TZ's can get messed up for some people, they tend to change randomly no matter how many times you try to set it, i've never had that problem, but many others have

top topics

join