It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WARNING! "Deadly Amoeba" Infiltrates Second Louisana Water System!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   

The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has detected the brain-eating amoeba, Naegleria Fowleri, which has killed three people in 2013, in five water supply test sites throughout the DeSoto Parish in Louisiana, federal health officials announced Wednesday.

The testing began when a four-year-old was killed after becoming infected by the amoeba in the St. Bernard Parish in August.

Naegleria fowleri, the brain-eating amoeba that causes primary amebic meningoencephalitis.
Credit: CDC.gov
www.livescience.com...
This is Urgent to somebody who live near this area, If there is ATSer who live there tell to Other Friend or neighbor!

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

Good information about this disease on this website: www.health.state.mn.us...

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
New Orleans, Louisiana here. From what the local news is saying its not in the drinking water. Or so they tell us
. Cases are coming from people swimming in creeks and rivers. This has been going on for a bit now. There yas been countless warning out here to treat your water and to not go swimming in dirty water.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   

crimvelvet
reply to post by cheesy

Good information about this disease on this website: www.health.state.mn.us...

Tq Mr.crimvelvet for the link!

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Isittruee
New Orleans, Louisiana here. From what the local news is saying its not in the drinking water. Or so they tell us
. Cases are coming from people swimming in creeks and rivers. This has been going on for a bit now. There yas been countless warning out here to treat your water and to not go swimming in dirty water.

Sory sir..i think if the river water infected by this Amoeba, so the drinking water from ground water..they will not tell you, if they tell you will spread mass panic,dont believe them! Better cook your water to 100 'c for your safety sir..

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Text CDC officials point out incidences of infection are extremely rare. Infection cannot occur from drinking water.

m.wdsu.com...

Changed a bit. Still cant get from drinking they say. Local news source.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I saw an episode of emergency ER.. They had a 12yr old male that got extremely ill.. End result, was this little bugger in the thread..

That episode claimed these are always in the water.. In extremely rare cases.. They make their way into the brain via the ear canal..

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Is funny though how they say you can't get from drinking, but then give you this terror list of things not to do.

Text The following are precautionary measures the CDC recommends people take to avoid the deadly amoeba:*Do not allow water to go up your nose or sniff water into your nose when bathing, showering, washing your face or swimming in small hard plastic/blow-up pools.*Do not jump into or put your head under bathing water, walk or lower yourself in.*Do not allow children to play unsupervised with hoses or sprinklers, as they may accidentally squirt water up their nose. Avoid slip-n-slides or other activities where it is difficult to prevent water going up the nose.*Do run bath and shower taps and hoses for 5 minutes before use to flush out the pipes. This is the most important the first time you use the tap after the water utility raises the disinfectant level.*Keep small hard plastic/blow-up pools clean by emptying, scrubbing and allow them to dry after each use.*Use only boiled and cooled, distilled or sterile water for making sinus rinse solutions like a Neti pot.*Keep your swimming pool adequately disinfected before and during use.

edit on 10-10-2013 by Isittruee because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Isittruee

Yes. Drinking the water is safe. Getting the water up your nose is not. Unless you drink from your nose I fail to see the discrepancy.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

Lot of water activities out here. State motto is Sportsmans Paradise. Kind of hard not to get water up your nose here.

ETA: Trust me this isn't being publicly advertised to tourist and the such we reguarly get this time of the year.

5 minutes on the news and that's it.
edit on 10-10-2013 by Isittruee because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   

That I definitely believe. I am simply saying drinking the tap water isn't dangerous. However using the tap water as nasal floss could be. If you do irrigate your nostrils use sterilized water, not tap water.

ETA: It's the same reason you should NEVER use tap water with your contacts. In fact you should not wear contacts in any activity that involves water such as showering.
edit on 10-10-2013 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   

OccamsRazor04

That I definitely believe. I am simply saying drinking the tap water isn't dangerous. However using the tap water as nasal floss could be. If you do irrigate your nostrils use sterilized water, not tap water.

ETA: It's the same reason you should NEVER use tap water with your contacts. In fact you should not wear contacts in any activity that involves water such as showering.

Ever been swimming? It goes up your nose. Do you honestly put in plugs before you get in a body of e
water? 9/10 tourist swimming out here won't.

9/10 gueestimate being I've live out here over 20 years and have yet to see someone put in nose plugs before they take a dip.
edit on 10-10-2013 by Isittruee because: took out rypo

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

One star for you at least you know what not to put in your nose...

It amazes me how most people seem not understand basic things about the human body from how the digestive system is capable of handling stuff that isn't handled by the nose and vice versa (the same is valid to any other orifice, they are function specific, most of the time, for instance turtles are able to breath from the rectum). There seems to be also a very low conceptual idea about the blood/brain barrier and that suppressed or degraded immunologic systems (that some even link to radio frequencies, cell towers etc, even vaccination will have a understandable and "time limited" debilitating effect) will at times and in certain circumstances not work.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   

OccamsRazor04

Give ten children a glass of water and I guarantee one of them will cough and end up with water coming out of their nose.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   

I thought the St. Bernard Parish drinking water test positive and that's the entire point of the scare?

Side note, just the other day I was showering and got some water up my nose from simply rinsing my hair. I feel so bad for these people...this is 2013 FFS! You would think this would not be a problem in the world's supposedly most can-do, wealthy, modern nation.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   

You misunderstood. That is where it is typically found. It is in the drinking water, but drinking it will not harm you. Yet, bathing in it and getting it up your nose could kill you. This is the same as what has been in the water in the DC area for over a decade (and many other areas). They will up the levels of chlorination and that will solve the problem, until the next time.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I live just outside of New Orleans so I've heard tons about this amoeba, they are saying all of Louisiana is going to start putting more chlorine in the water supply. Chlorine kills this thing. The only way you can get it is if water goes up your nose, in 2011 (I think) a man got it by using a Neti Pot with tap water.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Thanks for the info, cheesy!

Thanks to the government shutdown; if this were to get out of hand, the CDC would have a tough time investigating it.

But that's ok. It only eats peoples' brain.

what's there to worry about?

(o_O' )

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by yamammasamonkey

Hit the nail on the head.

The 8 o clock news is currently saying they will tweak the chlorine to fix this. You beat them to it

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
You really have to wonder if all of the Corexit may have made this thing harder to manage....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join