It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unorthodox Additions To BOB / Home Kit

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I like the mouse trap, if you can throw in a rat trap instead you can catch small game and birds. It is reusable and much easier for someone who doesn't have experience in dead falls and other traps.

Paper clips can be sued for making fish hooks too.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Emeraldous
reply to post by badgerprints

Great list man, the most important wound cleaning liquid is hydrogen peroxide, I cured a REALLY nasty under skin fungus with it, Don't know if it was Jungle rot.

Ooh.
Great point.
Forgot about antifungal pills. Women get them over the counter for yeast infections.

We had a bad bout of foot fungus going around the FOB in Tikrit and people had toes swelling up like sausages and skin rotting off. It was pretty exotic and after several months of using every topical antifungal available, there wasn't a tube or spray can of antifungal to be found. The medic that figured out the fix started giving out the 5 day packs for monistat. It took care of the foot rot in a few days.

Obviously we don't have that issue right now but when hygiene drops due to environmental changes, simple fixes for unusual problems are important.

Oral antifungals also work for thrush.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jaxnmarko

Great advice, thanks

Wow, I've got some great tips so far....Spiderwire, already have some, why didn't I think of that?

Keep 'em coming, I need to go shopping..

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Signals
reply to post by jaxnmarko

Great advice, thanks

Wow, I've got some great tips so far....Spiderwire, already have some, why didn't I think of that?

Keep 'em coming, I need to go shopping..

Another good one is cable pulling cord. They blow it through electrical conduit and pull wire with it.

You can get a bucket with 6500 feet of 210 pound test cord from wares direct for 29 bucks.

It's polyline so it doesn't rot or mildew. Good for building stuff.

Can't get a mile and a quarter of 210 pound test anything for that price.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Fish/ aquarium antibiotics. They are not only safe for human consumption, they are in fact the same antibiotics you'd be prescribed for a sinus infection or strep throat and are available at any pet store. The best part is you can find 100x 500 mg capsules online for about $30.

www.calvetsupply.com...

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
A small tool kit for the B.O.B..
A multi bit screwdriver - Repairs, scrounging parts
A adjustable wrench - As above
Heavy duty wire cutters - Cutting thru wire fences

Don't want to add too much weight though!

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
not sure about the rest of the world but here in the UK we have to sheath our earth wires in green and yellow covering but it costs pence per meter and its thick enough to use as a straw etc and you can also use it as ties around the garden area as it won't attract as much attention etc and is generally tough enough to replace most forms of string etc

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Nice thread!
Zip ties were already mentioned, but they are a staple of every deer hunting expedition. (Think anus).
Women's hair ties, much like a rubber band. A must for fishing, and quite a nice trigger for other rigs.

I'm not sure how unorthodox this is, but so few mention a tarp.
Weight is minimal. although a bit bulky. But talk about a life saver if shelter is needed, pronto.
Explain to your family that you are heading into the woods, leaving them alone, looking for branches and boughs.
They may not be real happy.

Also keep you dry, used to drag wood or game, and just keep your stuff dry.

This is assuming you already have rope, para cord and/or zip ties.

Nothing wrong with a few coffee filters or nylons, either.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Pantyhose are also good if you are near an ocean because jellyfish can't sting you with pantyhose. Plus, you look boss when rockin' a hello kitty pair of pantyhose while surviving. A waterproof picture of your loved ones with you is my unorthodox survival thingy. It may help you carry on or kill you, but I'd rather take the chance with love in my heart.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
A Wilson Volleyball...

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
One thing I don't see mentioned very often is an empty bag. I use one of those lightweight, rollup, and reusable grocery bags. Any bag will work for this purpose: Foraging. If your BOB is full of needful things you'll need something quick to deploy and already empty to put new things in.

Find one that doesn't interfere with weapon handling because those might be someone else's berries.
Try running an AK with a fist full of blackberries or twigs. Not. As. Much. Fun.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Asktheanimals
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Sure, but why not use your knife?
If it's not sharp enough to make shavings you might as well leave it at home.

I'm really puzzled by this too. Learn to use and hone your knife! skills > kit

ETA to add a useful suggestion and not just criticism - small format collins gem book on edible plants and mushrooms until i know them by heart.

oh yeah, and my gf likes the pencil sharpener idea - afterall, she likes her spongebob pencil sharpener and we still can't find a matching pukko to go with it :/
edit on 14-10-2013 by skalla because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I'm a fan of the pencil sharpener. You can use the waste for fire but it's great for making a stick sharp while you walk. You can get to your camp with a fistful of simple arrows.

ETA: I keep mine in a film canister with cotton in it. Cuts down on rattling and is a good tinder holder. You can't have too many knives. The pencil sharpener is just a very small specialized knife.
edit on 14-10-2013 by GrislyAddams because: additions to my thoughts

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by GrislyAddams

It is a tough one to quibble over and it doesnt take up any space or weight as such, but it only exists as a product so that kids dont take penknives to school. It's easier to make a good point with three or four strokes of a knife though so it's "pointless" really. chortle x

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
No one person can have everything in their pack. If you need a pencil sharpener or a shopping bag I'll be there for you.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I have been thinking about a couple of 5 hour energy shots.

If the time comes where you have to keep moving after you have been running for 15 hours, you might regret not having a boost.

You never know when the cannibals, nuclear fallout, zombies, rapists, jungle tigers, etc etc.....are on your tale and you need to keep bugging out.

They are pretty small so space shouldn't be a problem.
edit on 17-10-2013 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-10-2013 by liejunkie01 because: spelling/grammar

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
The aluminum screwtop energy drinks could be...re-purposed...when empty, as well.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   

liejunkie01
I have been thinking about a couple of 5 hour energy shots.

If the time comes where you have to keep moving after you have been running for 15 hours, you might regret not having a boost.

You never know when the cannibals, nuclear fallout, zombies, rapists, jungle tigers, etc etc.....are on your tale and you need to keep bugging out.

They are pretty small so space shouldn't be a problem.
edit on 17-10-2013 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-10-2013 by liejunkie01 because: spelling/grammar

Is that even safe? I feel like that's a heart attack in the making. You know how kids have like unlimited stamina? There was this story about this grandma that forced her grand-daughter to run for like 5 hours and she died of exhaustion. Man, 5-hours? I can't even run for a minute at full-speed or 5-minutes on a jog. That kid is a hero and a legend to those that can't run. Pretty terrible thing to happen though but my point is that even if you have the energy, your heart is a muscle and it probably will cramp up at some point and just stop working. Sure, if it's life or death, it's better to at least try than to die standing but regardless, I don't think 5hr energy helps much with stamina.

-------

Has anyone thought about carrying steroid injections? It has plenty of practical applications from my understanding. Not sure if this is legal or not in the US?

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I have a solar powered MP3 player in my BOB. I have five classical songs I would like to die to on it. Other than that addition, my BOB is pretty standard.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Em2013

Let me get this straight.

You are concerned about a 5 hour energy drink, for which they have sold billions.

And reccomend steroid injections.

Not trying to be rude but, lol.

I usually drink a monster energy drink in the morning before work.

They keep you alert.
edit on 20-10-2013 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join